1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Kings James burns Baptist Preacher at Stake n 1611

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by kman, Sep 22, 2003.

1. Lacy Evans

Lacy Evans New Member

BOOM! You go boy! [​IMG] (Sorry I just got excited!)

Lacy

2. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Then your claim that they create a problem is rather ridiculous wouldn't you say. If you can't name them then they can't be nearly the threat to the church that you claim.
    I was not referring to the KJV but to King James and the men involved in the creation of the KJV. Thanks for once again affirming that KJVO's use a dishonest double standard regarding this issue.
    FYI, I have never owned an NIV. Once in awhile I refer to it on www.biblegateway.com because of something that arises here.

I disagree with the translation philosophy of the NIV translators. I have no plans to use it based on that conviction alone. My primary Bible is the KJV. I have no problem recognizing the perfection of what it communicates without being hung up on the words the translators chose.
    Believing a false, man-made doctrine that fails on all points of proof scriptural, historical, and logical. That is the trouble. I take seriously the admonition to prove all things and hold to the truth.
    No but to point at a translated version of the Bible on your desk and proclaim "this is the only true Word of God" however is a different story.
    Please cite where I indicated anything of the sort. W & H ideas did not produce all new versions nor even modern texts. The NKJV, LITV, and a few others for instance are translated from the TR. Unfortunately, there do not seem to be any widely available versions based on one of the majority text editions.

The fact that you did not know these facts undermines the notion that you know why you believe what you believe.

In that

3. Lacy Evans

Lacy Evans New Member

http://www.bible-researcher.com/versions.html

Scroll down to Modern English, have fun reading.

Lacy

PS. This kind of argumentation is a waste of time to all involved. If you don't believe a fellow Christian poster is telling the truth, then the burden is yours to show him his error. "You can't name them. . . " Who want's to cut & paste for an hour? So to bail everyone out I did your research for you. Unfortunately you are wrong. I wonder if humility might be in order.

4. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    http://www.bible-researcher.com/versions.html

Scroll down to Modern English, have fun reading.

Lacy

PS. This kind of argumentation is a waste of time to all involved. If you don't believe a fellow Christian poster is telling the truth, then the burden is yours to show him his error. "You can't name them. . . " Who want's to cut & paste for an hour? So to bail everyone out I did your research for you. Unfortunately you are wrong. I wonder if humility might be in order.
    </font>[/QUOTE]Note what I DID NOT SAY. I didn't accuse him of lying about there being 200+ versions. I disputed his hyped up claim that this was somehow a big problem in churches today or that the 200+ versions received some kind of "tolerance" that is denied the KJV. There are only a hand full of English translations commonly used in churches today. This is a simple fact. This hand full or even the 200+ versions cause no more confusion in churches than the antiquated language of the KJV causes in KJVO churches.

Most of the criticism aimed at the KJV is in response to attempts by KJVO's to establish the KJV as the standard by which other versions are to be ultimately measured.

5. Lacy Evans

Lacy Evans New Member

Most of the criticism aimed at the MVs is in response to attempts by MVO's to establish anybody who wants to translate a verse, word, chapter, etc. (to the tune of one per year since the late 1800s) as the standard by which the KJV is to be ultimately measured.

Lacy

PS. Ask me if I can name them.

6. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

1. Who here is an MVO (assuming that means "modern versions only)? I haven't seen anyone make that claim. Can you quote someone who has?

2. Who has established individual translators as the standard by which the KJV should be measured? So far as I know, we have all consistently said that the Greek text is the standard by which any translation (whether modern or ancient) is to be measured.

It appears at face value that you have mispoken twice in this very short post.

Who cares?? What difference does it make? No one here is suggesting the use of 200 versions.

7. Lacy Evans

Lacy Evans New Member

No brother you sure got me there, by golly! Boy do I feel stupid.

Which "the Greek" is your standard?

Why is "the Greek" your standard?

Is the Word of God restricted to one set of "the Greek" words or do we get to choose? (Or hire some "scholar" to choose for us? Would you do it please?)

Lacy

8. Lacy Evans

Lacy Evans New Member

How about AVO? (any version only). Nah! Too confusing. Look you just pick yourself a name for your position and a cute little abbreviation and I'll use that from now on.

I know how you feel. I hate it when Hispanics call me an Anglo. I'm just plain old white. Who came up with "Anglo" anyway?

Lacy

9. bryan1276

bryan1276 New Member

Scott J.. thats a wild thing. You said you primarly use the KJV but will go to no end defaming King James, you will go to no end maligning people who BELIEVE the King James Bible, and yet its your main book. Let me hand you the gun to shoot yourself in the foot. Do you use the KJV then tell your folks how terrible and outdated it is and how King James was a fruit and then say, "ill be reading this morning from the King James Bible",,, wild man...wild