1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Kings' Wives

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by drfuss, Jan 24, 2011.

1. drfuss

drfuss New Member

II Kings 10
    "1 And Ahab had seventy sons in Samaria. And Jehu wrote letters, and sent to Samaria, unto the rulers of Jezreel, to the elders, and to them that brought up Ahab's children, saying, 2 Now as soon as this letter cometh to you, seeing your master's sons are with you, and there are with you chariots and horses, a fenced city also, and armour; 3 Look even out the best and meetest of your master's sons, and set him on his father's throne, and fight for your master's house. "

Since Ahab had seventy sons, he must have had about seventy daughters also; or about 140 children. The only wife of Ahab listed in the Bible is Jezebel.

Question: Who bore to Ahab all of these about 140 children?

I believe that Ahab married many of the dauthers of the tribal elders who had all of these children. The tribal elders were really the earthly power behind the throne. I think it was the usual practice for the king to marry the daughters of the tribal elders for politcal purposes.

The tribal elders grandchildren would be princes; the king was obligated to provide for his wives and children; and to overthrow the king could threaten the lives of the tribal elder's daughters and their grandchildren. Intermarrying between the king and the tribal elders families was a convenient political arrangement. Note the tribal elders were raising the knig's sons.

What do you think?

Am I missing something?

2. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

There is no question that he had more then one woman producing children, but beyond that one cannot even guess who these women were with any certainty.

3. drfuss

drfuss New Member

I agree that there is no scripture that I can find that says that many of the king's wives were daughters of the tribal elders, who held the earthy power behind the throne. However, it makes sense to me that kings would marry the daughters of the tribal elders to encourage the elders to be loyal to the king (local politics). The tribal elders were raising the king's sons who I think were also the elder's grandchildren.

Any other ideas on who the king's wives were?

Any reasons why the king would not marry the elders daughters?