1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

kjv against the rest. Is it as bad I as I am led to believe?

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by WITBOTL, Oct 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thermodynamics

Some people worship the Sun, I think that we can agree that Sun-worship is bad, but that does not make the Sun itself bad. Because there is a sect that seems to worship the AV (and worshiping a version of the Bible is bad) does not make that version bad.

You are a prime example of one of my main complaints against the KJVO sect, their absurd claims about the AV have caused many people to turn their back on what is a solid translation and an important part of Christian history. There is a reason that version has lasted 400 years and it is not because it is perfect as the KJVO sect claims, but it is also not because the Church of England made a pact with the Devil.

For the record I also hold the Geneva Bible in high regard. I am planning to read it cover-to-cover quite soon.

2. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    All of my memory work has been KJV1769 and I have great respect for it. But it is far down my list of what deem "best" English translations extant today.

It is not "bad" and as I've mentioned, some in our church use it. It is never "put down", as we simply state again and again, "this is what xyz means". All translations have strengths and weaknesses.

And you are spot on - it is the "only" types that have driven many to have to demonstrate the foibles of the translation, to show it is not perfect and unbiased, etc. Prior to 1970 (I was in grad school) I only recall a brief reference to Adventism and how at one point they were "only" but had abandoned it and that some in the Dean Burgon Society were openly embracing it.

3. Refreshed

Refreshed Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh, right. And nobody ever defended the King James Version against the modern versions before Wilkinson and Ruckman. Your statement is demonstrably untrue when applied to Fundamentalism prior to 1970. Does the name "Hills" ring a bell? It seems you might be trying to participate in a bit of historical revisionism.

4. Refreshed

Refreshed Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have exclusively used the King James Version for study and reading over the course of the past 10 years or so. I have as of yet to meet one of these "bible worshipers." Now, I have seen many men and women who have held the Word of God in high regard and don't take well to changes made in the English text by unbelieving scholars. We've put atheists and agnostics in charge of the Bible! Of course they are going to change and manipulate things because they approach the issue with unbelief.

Isaiah 66:5 Hear the word of the LORD, ye that tremble at his word; Your brethren that hated you, that cast you out for my name's sake, said, Let the LORD be glorified: but he shall appear to your joy, and they shall be ashamed.

Too much changing, and not enough trembling, IMHO. Remember, his Word is quick and powerful, sharper than any two-edged sword. Has even that changed in the new versions?

5. Refreshed

Refreshed Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Absolutely untrue and I think you know it. Quite the accusation. Do you have proof?

And where is God's Word? According to you, it doesn't exist, isn't that right? And we're the strange ones? You profess to hold to the very words of something that has not existed in at least 1500 years? You profess to hold to something that you can't even read? The originals? Show me the originals, and I'll show you the King James Version is a reflection of them as God's preserved Word. Show me the originals, and we'll be doing business.

6. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Refreshed, is it your position, then, that the KJV, and only the KJV is the preserved Word of God?

7. Refreshed

Refreshed Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, that is my position (everything after yes was added, because you have to have 10 or more characters in a post. Otherwise, this post should be taken as a, "Yes."

8. Refreshed

Refreshed Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And where is your Bible?

9. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

What an absurd accusation! You trust the Mary Worshipping translators of the KJV, over the Southern Baptist translators responsible for the HCSB? The Christian men and women responsible for the ESV?

In regards to the spiritual character and condition of the translators, their is little question that by FAR the translators of at least these two modern versions is preferred.

10. Refreshed

Refreshed Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is a textual line difference, not the intention of the translator. I reread my post and meant to say "Greek text" instead of "English text." My apologies. That said, where is your preserved Word?

11. Johnv

Johnv New Member

That's a crock. I'm holding a Bible in my hand right now, which is just as 100% the preserved Word of God as the KJV. Tell me why you think it isn't.

12. Refreshed

Refreshed Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm not going to prove your negative. Regarding your position: That's a crock. I'm holding a Bible in MY hand right now which is different than the one you are holding. Are they both the Word of God?

13. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Yep. :flower::flower:

14. Refreshed

Refreshed Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    God is not the author of confusion. God HAS promised to preserve His word. I believe it is in the King James Version. If another version is different than the one I have, is God the author of both?

15. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

The ESV. Now, let's pit my translation against yours. Why does your translation add to God's word "the brother of" in 2 Samuel?

Why does your version add to God's Word "Unknown" in 1 Corinthians 13-14?

Who gave these translators the right to add to God's Word? These Words are not in the KJV underlying manuscripts, so...WHY did they do it? Certainly, as idolatrous Mary worshipers, they were not being led by the Spirit to do this...

16. Refreshed

Refreshed Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    are you ESV only?

17. Refreshed

Refreshed Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, God did not write two books.

18. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

I believe the ESV is THE Word of God.

Now, let's compare my translation to yours.

19. Refreshed

Refreshed Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That wasn't my question. Do you believe the KJV is a bad translation? If you are not ESV only and don't believe the KJV to be an inferior translation, then your question is mere mental exercise.

20. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Note to explain possible confusion:

I deleted a post. I don't argue in this debate.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.