1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

KJV and Anglicanism

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by manchester, Mar 10, 2005.

1. manchester

manchester New Member

Was the KJV translated with the intent (and effect) of changing the scriptures to support the monarchy and support Anglo-Catholic Bible interpretations? If so, doesn't this put the KJV in the same camp as the Mormons' KJV and the NWT?

2. Kiffen

Kiffen Member

No, because the Anglican Church is a Christian Church while the Mormon and Jehovah Witnesses are cults. The Anglican Church produced one of the earliest Protestant Confessions that no doubt influenced other Protestant churches such as the Baptists. You can read the 39 Articles of Religion of the Church of England here. http://www.eskimo.com/~lhowell/bcp1662/articles/articles.html

It is more a Moderate Calvinist Confession than a Anglo-Catholic confession.

3. manchester

manchester New Member

Where do you draw the line? I can make a Bible that rewrites all the scriptures to fit my beliefs, so long as my church is Christian, and it's okay?

4. Kiffen

Kiffen Member

Who said the Anglican Church rewrote the Bible to fit it's beliefs? The KJV is universally recognized and respected as a magnificent translation. Does the KJV have a Anglican bias? I believe in some areas it does BUT most if not all translations will have at least a slight bias from it's translators. That is just natural.

That however is not rewriting the Bible. Rewriting the Bible implies a deliberate attempt to attack or change orthodox Christian beliefs. The NWT purpose was to do just that.

I find it repulsive to mention the KJV in the same breath as the NWT,which is a hack translation put out by a Cult group that does not suffer from just a theological bias but from a group who deliberately subverts orthodox Christian beliefs. You are comparing Apples to Oranges.

5. Lacy Evans

Lacy Evans New Member

Lashing out at "Anglicanism" as you tighten your death grip on your Douay Rheims Clones?

Lacy

6. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Agree that the Geneva was anti-monarchial and anti-Anglican. No wonder it was the object of revision and then replacement with the Anglican Version.

Certain passages in the AV were poorly translated to give a PRO-monarchy and PRO-anglican slant. This is NOT any worse than many other translations with biases.

And certainly NOT of the ilk of the NWT or such. That is a ludicrous comparison, imho.

7. Logos1560

Logos1560 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The third rule for the translating of the KJV
    was that "the old ecclesiastical words to be kept; as the word church, not to be translated congregation, etc."

David Daiches noted that this third rule was "directed against the Puritan tendency to abandon the traditional terms which had associations with Catholic ritual and is an interesting reflection of the essentially Anglican nature of A. V." (THE KJV OF THE ENGLISH BIBLE, p. 169).

Henry Jessey, a Baptist pastor in the 1600's, complained about the KJV for its episcopacy and said that Archbishop Richard Bancroft "who was supervisor of the present translation, altered it in fourteen places to make it speak the language of prelacy" (Williams, COMMON ENGLISH VERSION, p. 53).

8. Glory2God

Glory2God New Member

Any scripture, I sez, ANY scripture to back your positions???? Of course not!!! [​IMG]

9. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

And I ask you G2G -

Any scripture, I sez, ANY scripture to back your position? Of course not!!! [​IMG]

10. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Baptist blood was shed by King James:
    Read the whole Chapter and see the other persecutions and atrocities inflicted upon our brethren.

HankD

11. NaasPreacher (C4K)

What a wonderful king and defender of the faith.

12. Glory2God

Glory2God New Member

King Solomon built a temple in honor of Ashteroth because of a woman. He WROTE Proverbs, Eclesiastes, and Song of Solomon.

King David sent Uriah to his death so he could steal his wife. He wrote quite a bit of the book of Psalms. God said he was a man after his own heart.

Now, what exactly what is your point about king James killing a Baptist??? [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Pr 16:10 ΒΆ A divine sentence is in the lips of the king: his mouth transgresseth not in judgment.
    Ec 8:4 Where the word of a king is, there is power: and who may say unto him, What doest thou?

13. NaasPreacher (C4K)

What?

You equate James with Solomon and David?

Surely you are in jest.

14. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He was supposedly not under the Law but under grace.
    Where does Jesus Christ tell believers to burn another NT believer (or anyone) at the stake or make an alliance with Church and State?

This is exactly the point of the Baptist distinctions of Soul Liberty and the separation of Church and State.

Perhaps you should apply for membership in the Church of England seeing your admiration of King James and his persecution of Baptists along with the apparent disdain you have for these Baptists distinctives?

HankD

[ March 11, 2005, 10:39 AM: Message edited by: HankD ]

15. Glory2God

Glory2God New Member

Ex 20:3 Thou shalt have no other gods before me.
    4 Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth:
    5 Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me;
    Ex 20:13 Thou shalt not kill.
    14 Thou shalt not commit adultery.

David and Solomon were under the law, where did God tell them to break theses commandments??? You guys ever think before you post??? [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

16. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes I usually do, sometimes no.

But you still haven't answered my questions.

HankD

17. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

Calvin was just as culpable in the burning of Servetus as King James was of Whitman, yet there are SOME here who will defend Calvin to their dying breath.
    My point?
    God is MUCH bigger than the atrocities of men and is fully capable of bringing about events which bring Him and Him alone the glory.
    There is NO doubt that the Geneva is a magnificent translation. So is the KJV. In spite of HOW the KJV supplanted the Geneva in history, none can deny the WORLD CHANGING effects it had on society lo these past 4 centuries. And THOSE effects are they which you ALL enjoy today. All of which were accomplished by the providence of God. He used the KJV and godly men to do it.
    During the Revolutionary Era of this country it was the KJV that Baptist pastors had in their hearts and hands as they fought the Monarchy of King George. And it was the KJV they appealed to when proposing freedom for ALL in this country.

Some may wish to leave the primacy of the KJV while clinging to the tenents our Baptist forefathers held to, (tenents they discovered in the pages of the KJV), but I WILL NOT.

In HIS service;
    Jim

18. Glory2God

Glory2God New Member

And where does all this leave the SBC??? Soul liberty if they vote it in??? Doesn't sound like autonimy to me!!! [​IMG]

I could care less about "Baptist Distinktives". I'm concerned about BIBLICAL DOCTRINE. :D

19. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Our Baptist forefathers preferred the Geneva Bible until it was ripped from their hands by an Anglicanm king.

20. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

In defense of Calvin, I must say, he DID try to get them to merely decapitate Servetus rather than burning. :rolleyes: And who CARES if Servetus had aberrant theology? Killing to deny freedom of conscience is right somehow???

In HIS service;
    Jim