1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

KJV is in heaven

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Terry_Herrington, Dec 14, 2003.

1. Terry_Herrington

Terry_Herrington New Member

This position was mentioned on another forum that was closed. I have not heard this assumption before, so I am curious what you think.

2. skanwmatos

skanwmatos New Member

What language will we speak in heaven? I would guess we will hear the words of God in that language.

3. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually, Hebrew is spoken in heaven. But we will ALL have the real "gift of tongues" there! [​IMG]

And the bibliolaters will sadly be missing their KJV (whatever revision they claim is inspired) in heaven.

4. Spirit and Truth

Spirit and Truth New Member

Dr Bob stated:

Actually, Hebrew is spoken in heaven.

S&T:

Not to be argumentative, but what proof do you have of this statement.

5. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Man, I was hoping no one would ask! I learned that in Seminary and was so impressed . . but have forgotten the argumentation for it!!

I'm old. Give me a chance and maybe after the SS program tonight I'll have time to research it!

[​IMG]

6. Spirit and Truth

Dr Bob,

I have my research and am anxiously awaiting yours.......... :cool:

7. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Listen, if you've got the answer, SHARE IT and save me climbing down the basement and beginning a search through dusty drawers.

Wasssupppp?

8. ScottEmerson

ScottEmerson Active Member

My guess would be Hebrew as well, assuming that it was the first language spoken by Adam. There are also a lot of interesting properties found in the Hebrew language that are absent in others.

9. Terry_Herrington

Terry_Herrington New Member

I am eagerly awaiting for the KJVO position. I personally believe that this view is down right silly. I do not know what would make someone believe it; however, some evidently do. I am eager to see what justification one would pose to support this position.

It is sad that so many people who love the KJV, of which I am one, are somewhat tainted because of extreme unsupported stances, such as this. It seem to me that this borders on idolatry. [​IMG]

10. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

Terry, it is from the verse that says "Thy word is forever settled in heaven".

Of course, I am not KJVO, I just remember the time I broke a rib laughing at this.

11. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't care if it's pig-Latin. My concern is being there, and not in the other place.

12. Spirit and Truth

First of all, let's look at this:

Acts 26 [LITV]
    12 ΒΆ In which also traveling to Damascus with authority and decision power from the chief priests,
    13 at midday along the highway, O king, I and those with me saw a light from heaven shining around me above the brightness of the sun.
    14 And all of us falling to the ground, I heard a voice speaking to me, and saying in the Hebrew dialect , Saul, Saul why do you persecute Me? It is hard for you to kick against the prods.
    15 And I said, Who are you, Sir? And He said, I am Jesus whom you persecute;
    16 but rise up and stand on your feet, for it is for this reason I appeared to you, to appoint you a servant and a witness both of what you saw, and in what I shall appear to you,

Acts 26 [NIV]

12"On one of these journeys I was going to Damascus with the authority and commission of the chief priests. 13About noon, O king, as I was on the road, I saw a light from heaven, brighter than the sun, blazing around me and my companions. 14We all fell to the ground, and I heard a voice saying to me in Aramaic ,[1] 'Saul, Saul, why do you persecute me? It is hard for you to kick against the goads.'
    15"Then I asked, 'Who are you, Lord?'
    16" 'I am Jesus, whom you are persecuting,' the Lord replied. 'Now get up and stand on your feet. I have appeared to you to appoint you as a servant and as a witness of what you have seen of me and what I will show you.

S&T:

According to some scholars, Jesus spoke to Paul in Aramaic. We can assume that Jesus also spoke Hebrew, which was the language of the temple. [He read from the Isaiah scroll] I guess it could be argued by some that he read from the Aramaic Targums, but I do not personally believe that to be true. What language did He address Pilate in? The language of commerce at that time was Greek. In Acts, Paul addressed the centurion in Greek, and then proceeded to address the crowd of his countrymen [fellow Jews] in Aramaic. [some might argue that it was Hebrew]Hebrew was the "street language" among the Jews.

So, can we agree that the languages of the day that Jesus most probably spoke were Aramaic, Hebrew, Greek, and a dialect of Latin?[remember the sign on the cross?] I will post the next part of this discussion shortly.

13. Anti-Alexandrian

"bibliolaters"is it now,eh Bob?? We Bible believers do not pray to it,we do not preach "the KJB saves" instead of Jesus saves;we even mark in our perfect Bible,if we "worshiped it" would we mark in it??;"bibliolaters"? indeed!!

I know you are just "Aping" what you have been taught..

14. BrianT

BrianT New Member

Really? Despite the name of Jesus being the only name by which we are saved, many KJV-Os are quick to quote "for thou hast magnified thy word above all thy name". All hail the blessed KJV, higher even than Jesus!

15. Spirit and Truth

Spirit and truth made an error in this post:

In Acts, Paul addressed the centurion in Greek, and then proceeded to address the crowd of his countrymen [fellow Jews] in Aramaic. [some might argue that it was Hebrew]Hebrew was the "street language" among the Jews.

Please change to:

Aramaic was the "street language" among the Jews.

16. ArcticBound

ArcticBound New Member

Here we go again, the same old song: ATTACK the KING JAMES BIBLE AND LAUGH AT THOSE WHO ACTUALLY BELIEVE THAT GOD HAS PRESERVED HIS WORDS FOR EVERY GENERATION JUST LIKE HE SAID HE WOULD. THE ENGLISH BEING THE KING JAMES BIBLE!

Obviously, if we are speaking English in Heaven, we will not need 50+ ---versions in Heaven, but One PRESERVED VERSION.

However, I don't think we will be speaking English in Heaven. I would say possibly Hebrew!

You brought up that verse:
    Psa 138:2 I will worship toward thy holy temple, and praise thy name for thy lovingkindness and for thy truth: for thou hast magnified thy word above all thy name.

Why would God magnify His Word even above His own name? I believe and what I have been saying on this board is that "Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God." Without God's Words we don't know a thing about Salvation (Psalm 19).

Don't down play the importance of God's Word. Imagine not having a copy of God's Word in our language. Aren't you glad that everyone has to compare their versions to the KING JAMES BIBLE!

17. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    God said He would give His people a pure language(Zephaniah 3:9), and, since at that time their main language was Hebrew, I wonder if He will purify Hebrew or give an entirely new language?

18. Anti-Alexandrian

50+!!?? No,it's more like 200+,and they all conflict one another in thousands of places..

AMEN!! That He did!!! But that makes us an "Bibliolator" :rolleyes:

Of course!! All counterfeits and imposters must mimic the standard..

19. Spirit and Truth

Roby,

You blew my ending. :cool:

20. Spirit and Truth

How do we verify that Aramaic was the street language among the Jews? Recently there has been an ossuary [bone box] discovered that was reported to be that of James, brother of Jesus. Some have debated whether the inscription was altered, but none have disputed that the square script Aramaic inscription was dated to be the language at the time of Jesus. It read:

Ya'akov bar Yosef akhui di Yeshua

Y(KOBBRYWSF )XWW(Y#W(

Transliterated:

James, son of Joseph, brother of Jesus