1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

KJV-only inconsistency about omitting words

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Logos1560, Dec 2, 2004.

1. Logos1560

Logos1560 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Those who advocate a KJV-only view seem to be very inconsistent about their claims or reasoning concerning the supposed omitting or adding words to a translation.

Do KJV-only advocates discuss the fact that there are many differences in number of words
    in the texts and translations that are placed
    on the KJV-only view's stream or line of good Bibles?

For example, Luther's German Bible did not include 1 John 5:7, Mark 11:26, and Luke 17:36 and yet it is placed on the KJV-only view's line of good Bibles. Peter Ruckman even recommends Luther's German Bible. Some early English Bibles such as Tyndale's, 1535 Coverdale's, and 1537
    Matthew's Bible that are on the KJV-only view's line of good Bibles also do not have Mark 11:26 and Luke 17:36.

The Peshitta Syriac Bible is placed on the KJV-only view line of good Bibles. The old Peshitta
    has the following rendering at Revelation 14:4
    as translated in the 1851 Murdock's "redeemed by Jesus from among men" where the KJV only has
    "redeemed from among men." The Majority Text Interlinear also has "redeemed by Jesus from among men" at Revelation 14:4.

According to a consistent application of typical KJV-only reasoning, would it be fair to
    suggest that the KJV omits the words "by Jesus"
    at Revelation 14:4? Does the KJV-only view advocate a double standard?

2. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How DARE you ask a typical KJVO about FACTS???

3. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

When asked about early English Bibles, I remember one answer: "How would I know, I didn't live back them. All I know is that we have it NOW." [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Every "only" source will have a different listing of what are accepted bibles in the "good" line. It is 100% conjecture and fabrication so you will find no consistency, even within one list.

Not much use getting worked up over it. :(