1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

KJV Preference

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by RevGood, Nov 25, 2003.

1. RevGood

RevGood New Member

Where can you buy a 1611 KJV? How do you know if what you have is the 1611 or the revision?

2. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Originally posted by RevGood:
    Where can you buy a 1611 KJV? How do you know if what you have is the 1611 or the revision?

I have a copy of the 1982 facsimile from Nelson Publishing, but I don't know if it's still in print or not. I see copies of this edition being sold on ebay, Barnes & Noble, & Amazon dot comm all the time. A friend has a copy of the Hendrickson AV 1611 reprint, and it's identical to my Nelson copy, except it has a black leather cover.

Any true copy will have the Preface To The Reader, a Table of Contents, the Apocrypha, the "List of Holy Days", and the spelling of 1611, I.E.""hee" for "he", etc.

Having leafed through an authentic AV 1611, I have a reasonable idea of what should be between the covers. Nelson and Hendrickson say the ONLY departures from the original is the material on which it's printed, the physical size of the book, and the print's being in modern font rather than Gothic.

I recently saw a pristine authentic AV 1611 on sale for a mere $1.6 million. Sorry, but I had to pass on this bargain.

3. Terry_Herrington

Terry_Herrington New Member

Isn't the NEW Scofield not truly KJV? Know they replace archaic words/phrases with more modern terms and put the KJV in the margin.

That was always a rap AGAINST the new Scofield as opposed to the 1909 or 1917 editions (which I use).

Am I mistaken on this?
    </font>[/QUOTE]Dr. Bob you are correct concerning the New Scofield Reference Bible. This was one of my first bibles I owned after being saved. I literally wore it out and enjoyed it immensely, that is until I learned I wasn't supposed to. :confused:

4. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

This discussion reminds me of the time when I pastored my first church. A man in the church made the comment, "You know why so many people are going to hell today? Because they don't read the King James Bible." I told him. "I use the Greek, Hebrew and Aramaic texts. Where does that put me?" He was speechless.

I did not grow up in a Christian home. We never read any Bible. So I did not know the religious jargon of the day. But when I first became a Christian someone gave me a KJV and I tried reading it. I spent so much time trying to understandthe words that eventually I stopped reading it. Until someone recommended I try going to the local Bible bookstore. I went into the store and the lady was very helpful. Eventually I bought a NAS Bible and read that Bible every day. Eventually soending at least one hour each day reading and studying. I memorized at least two verses each week for several years from that Bible.

I think it is very easy to understand which is better. Is it better to not read something you don't understand or to read something you can easily comprehend. Is it more important to read and study a translation you can understand or have one you don't comprehend and leave it on the shelf.

5. Baptist in Richmond

Baptist in Richmond Active Member

1. Judging by your questions, I guess that it is safe to assume that you are not using a TRUE Authorised Version. Facsimiles abound. Like Robycop, I cannot justify purchasing an original...........not yet anyway. Hey Roby, I saw a "she" AV for a mere $350,000. It was authentic too.
    2. If your KJV does not contain the Apocrypha, then it is not a TRUE Authorised Version. As I have stated in other discussions, it is the subjacent posthumous 1769 revision that, IMHO, is inferior to the NKJV.

6. Baptist in Richmond

Baptist in Richmond Active Member

Is your Nelson copy in modern typeset? If we are talking about the same reprint, it is out of print and cannot be ordered at B&N or at Amazon.com at this time. :(
    I think that Dr. Scott has a reproduction as well, but it is pricey.

7. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  8. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeah, that was the Hendrickson copy I mentioned. I have the Nelson 1982 reprint, and it's in modern font. I expect that both the Nelson and the Hendrickson copies are exact repros except for the font, physical size, and type of paper & cover material, as the entire content of the AV 1611 is public domain in the USA and may be printed & sold by anyone.

9. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is a Gothic print photographic facsimile currently available which goes for between 200-500 USD.

HankD

10. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Originally posted by HankD:
    There is a Gothic print photographic facsimile currently available which goes for between 200-500 USD.

HankD

WOW! Sounds like a bad deal to me!

I WILL recommend that every Bible student who uses English to obtain a copy of the AV 1611, and also a copy of the Geneva Bible. The whole 1599 GB is online at

http://www.genevabible.org/Geneva.html

as well as to where to buy a replica GB.
    [​IMG]

11. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Better than 1/4 million for a First Edition 1611 KJB.

HankD