1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

KJV Wording Put Through A NLTse Filter

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Rippon, Jan 18, 2009.

1. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have mentioned before that my pastor preaches from the KJV.He's KJVP.He prefers it;but is aware of its limitations.I have said on other occasions that when he rephrases a particular verse what comes out is quite often close to NLTse wording.I'll have to keep better tabs on this in the future.

He was going through 1 Timothy 2:8-15.In verse 11 the KJV has :"Let the woman learn in silence with all subjection." My pastor said in reference to this passage :"What this means is that a woman should be a quiet and submissive learner." I later showed him my NLTse with this rendering:"Women should learn quietly and submissively."

I wonder how many others have experienced the same thing?Of course they would have to be carrying an NLTse to a church which uses the KJV -- which is a little odd -- I grant you that.

It would give me a kick to hear KJVO guys give NLTse-like rewordings in their explanations/preaching.

The TNIV translation still remains my favorite, but the NLTse is right up there.