1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

KJV1611 and Apocrypha

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by NaasPreacher (C4K), Feb 16, 2004.

1. skanwmatos

skanwmatos New Member

Yet you single out the KJV for your "question." Why not single out the NRSV? Or the TMB? Or even the Geneva? Or any one of the dozens upon dozens of English versions which, in one edition or another, contain the Apocrypha?

The answer? I will assume it is just another resurrection of the straw man argument that has been going around for decades.

2. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    NO! The strawman is that I am condemning the KJV and/or every English version that ever contained the Apocrypha.

Personally, I am condemning the influence of the Church of Rome upon our English Bibles. Secondly I am trying to burst the mythical bubble concerning the "purity" and "perfection" of the 1611KJV of the Bible.

IMO, The 1611 First Edition of the King James Bible was by no means "pure" containing the Apocrypha and several other romish blotches.

I have repeatedly said, thank the Lord that someone(s) had the wisdom to cleanse it (although the remnants of Rome are still present within it's covers).

HankD

3. TC

TC Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm continually amazed at the KJVO's great lengths to defend the apocrapha's inclusion in the KJV 1611. They then condemn it in any other version/manuscript. Can you say double standard?

4. skanwmatos

skanwmatos New Member

I'm continually amazed at the anti-KJVO's great lengths to condemn the apocrapha's inclusion in the KJV 1611. They then defend it in any other version/manuscript. Can you say double standard?

5. mioque

mioque New Member

"I have repeatedly said, thank the Lord that someone(s) had the wisdom to cleanse it (although the remnants of Rome are still present within it's covers)."
    Wisdom?
    The apocrypha got canned because the AV was cheaper to print with them excluded.

6. TC

TC Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have yet to see anyone in this forum defend the apocrapha. What's that commandment about not bearing false witness?

7. skanwmatos

skanwmatos New Member

TC you just gotta read what I wrote. I didn't say anyone defends the apocrypha. I said they defend the other English versions which also contain the Apocrypha. The "it" is the "it" of the "apocrapha's inclusion." [​IMG]
    It must be right next to the one that says, "He that answers a matter before he hears it, it is folly and shame unto him. [​IMG]

8. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Of course! [​IMG]

HankD

9. TC

TC Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    TC you just gotta read what I wrote. I didn't say anyone defends the apocrypha. I said they defend the other English versions which also contain the Apocrypha. The "it" is the "it" of the "apocrapha's inclusion." [​IMG]
    It must be right next to the one that says, "He that answers a matter before he hears it, it is folly and shame unto him. [​IMG]
    </font>[/QUOTE]Nobody here (in this Bible Versions/Translations forum) has defended the apocrapha in any other English version that I have seen. Every post I have read that mentions the apocrapha has been critical of it and have stated that it was rightfully canned. So, according to everything I have read, you are indeed bearing false witness. If someone here has defended the apocrapha in other versions the way you say, then provide me the link so I can accept correction.

10. skanwmatos

skanwmatos New Member

You have to pay attention. I know that reading can sometimes be problematic, but follow this carefully.

1. The KJV is singled out for criticism because it once contained the Apocrypha.

2. Almost all popular English versions also can be found which have at least one edition published which also contain the Apocrypha.

3. The other English versions are not singled out for criticism.

Got it now? :eek:

11. TC

TC Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Let's see about that.

NKJV - no apocrapha
    NIV - no apocrapha
    ESV - no apocrapha
    NCV - no apocrapha
    ASV - no apocrapha
    ERV - no apocrapha
    NASB - no apocrapha

catholic Bibles - have apocrapha

The catholic church accepts the apocrapha as scripture. All the posts that I have read concerning the catholic cannon have been critical of the apocrapha.

The MV's used by people that participate in this forum do not contain the apocrapha - and have never contained the apocrapha in any edition I have seen. So they have no reason to be singled out.

12. skanwmatos

skanwmatos New Member

As far as I know there has not yet been an NKJV published with the Apocrypha.
    As far as I know, that is correct.
    Harper Collins UK will be publishing the ESV with Apocrypha in the near future.
    As far as I know the New Century Version has not yet been published with the Apocrypha.
    Not as far as I know.
    The ERV was published with an Apocrypha in 1895.
    As far as I know that is correct.
    As well as many so-called Protestant bibles such as the NRSV, REB, RSV, etc.
    Well, I believe some people here may use the ERV (I know I do), as well as the NRSV, REB, and RSV (I was saved reading the RSV) and they all have been published with the Apocrypha. [​IMG]

13. TC

TC Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sorry, my bad.

Doesn't mean the translators approve of that - just means that Harper-Collins wants to make more money. However, the KJV translators did know/approve of the apocrapha being placed in the 1611 KJV.

Because the translating committees (as far as I know) were I know ecumenical and would therefore do something like that to keep everybody involved happy. I consider these to be Catholic Bibles for that reason. That being said, I know that God can and does reach people using them (or any other version). Aint God's mercy wonderful?

[​IMG]

14. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Your assumption is wrong. I choose to ask a simple, honest question because the KJV is my version of choice and preference. My problem is with those who claim an inspired translation which includes the Apocrypha. You may like the words "straw man" but it takes more than calling an argument a straw man to give a real answer. ANY edition of ANY version which includes the Apocrypha is wrong.

There seems to be an attitude amongst some of my brethren that we should simply accept what is said without asking any questions. You really have no clue what my heart is in this matter. This was indeed an honest question which has been deflected by saying, "Well, everyone else does it."

Please, could we have an honest answer without rancour?

15. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Your assumption is wrong. I choose to ask a simple, honest question because the KJV is my version of choice and preference. My problem is with those who claim an inspired translation which includes the Apocrypha. You may like the words "straw man" but it takes more than calling an argument a straw man to give a real answer. ANY edition of ANY version which includes the Apocrypha is wrong.

There seems to be an attitude amongst some of my brethren that we should simply accept what is said without asking any questions. You really have no clue what my heart is in this matter. This was indeed an honest question which has been deflected by saying, "Well, everyone else does it."

Please, could we have an honest answer without rancour?

16. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Your assumption is wrong. ANY edition of ANY version that includes the Apocrypha is WRONG. That would include the 1611 version of the Authorised Version.

17. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Your are incorrect in your assumption. Any edition of any translation which includes the Apocrypha is wrong.

18. skanwmatos

skanwmatos New Member

Two points. Just because an Apocrypha is contained between the testaments, the translation of the Old and New Testaments is not invalidated. It is still the word of God.

Secondly, you might consider them Catholic bibles, but the Roman Catholic Church might disagree with you. If it doesn't contain the proper imprimatur it is not official, no matter what anybody else says. [​IMG]

19. NaasPreacher (C4K)

I truly apologise for the multiple posts this morning. The confirmation of my post was not appearing on screen. The multiple postins was NOT intentional I am sorry.

20. Baptist in Richmond

Baptist in Richmond Active Member

Wow, you sure were up late.........or should I say early?

As everyone is well aware, I am a TRUE "1611 King James Bible Believer." I use the TRUE Authorised Version, not the subjacent posthumous revision. I love the AV more than any KJVO on this board, and yet I am very anti-KJVO.

On more than one occasion, I have clearly stated that I possess a deep love for the Apocrypha. It is clearly located in the Authorised Version. If someone is arguing that there is a perfect English translation of God's Holy Word, to the point of excluding all other translations, then it should indeed be perfect. Regardless of the placement, the Apocrypha is still included. Using Will's "jot and tittle" test that you repeatedly and incorrectly assigned to me, the Authorised Version fails along with all the other translations. This test was held up by more than one KJVO as the basis for the rejection of all other translations of God's Holy Word.

I agree with you that it is unreasonable to use the Apocrypha as a basis for attacking a Version of God's Holy Word. But it is a basis for many of the KJVO's on this list to attack the MV's, and even the Septuagint. Another point worth mentioning is that I personally have never seen someone attack the KJV per se, the attack is usually directed at the KJVO camp. The simple fact of the matter is that nobody can provide any Scriptural Basis for the complete rejection of all other translations of God's Holy Word. My copy of the 1599 Geneva Bible alone completely shoots down the KJVO school of thought. Moreover, the 1769 Revision isn't even the best revision of the Authorised Version.

As a TRUE "1611 King James Bible Believer" I do understand your frustration though. I sincerely hope that this post finds you well.