1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

"KJVO" Beginnings

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Mongol Servant, Mar 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

John 17:7-11, "Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you. And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment: Of sin, because they believe not on me; Of righteousness, because I go to my Father, and ye see me no more; Of judgment, because the prince of this world is judged."

I see nothing about inspiration.

2. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Thanks folks - we are the 19th page of thread about the KJVO which has been mostly without rancour! Good job!

Saying that the 20 page limit will be imposed someplace on page 20.

3. Salamander

Salamander New Member

I believe in completed revelation, not as the mormons do. You err.

The KJB translators made no changes. Only the Apocrapha was later omitted. It is proven good reference for historical reasons.

The same way anyone would, using the right words.

The same way you do. You bring accusation against the word of God. You would also like to limit study of the passage to mere words and forget the impact of what Jesus said unto Peter.

And each has their proper meaning in context to the account, seems you like to forget that.

The same as anyone else would, one must take into account the culture.

You are obviously presumptuous and WRONG.

I read what they said with an open mind, you come to thier words with a preconceived notion/ Error.
    You would also like to place a higher authority on what you understand of what you think they said above the very word of God. Error.

It is not about argument. It is about study to get it correct.

You have used a new word for me. Could you educate me on what serpentology is? [/quote] serpentology: the study of God's word with an intent to corrupt the thinking of mortal man to the effect to cause him to err.

Assume or presume? All Christians are being perfected by what is understood as turning back to the old paths of holiness unto the Lord, otherwise they are slipping off into ungodliness.

I would have to say they followed something known as the Spirit and the teachings of the Apostles and not the teachings of men.

We agree.
    Yes, that's exactly right, men are. Men also portray what is on the inside by what they appear as on the outside.

As the modern versions of today take the place of the KJB we see much akin to worldliness, so far to the effect that men of just 100 years ago would have to backslide just to fellowship with most of today's "Christians".

You're speaking to a man who was out in the world for 32 years. I know much about worldliness/ungodliness, but to the contrary, since I have been saved, I have learned to differentiate between the two opposing lives.

As men depart from the word of God they depart from godliness.

The more men attempt to play God to make it easier for unlearned men to "know" more about God, the less they truly know.

Remember, the letter of the law killeth, but the Spirit giveth life. The more men attempt to determine exact wordings to today's level of evil speaking, the more man as a whole departs from the Living God.

Of course that is on a spiritual plain, I don't expect too much from the carnal mind in understanding what I just said, but with God, there is still hope.

4. Salamander

Salamander New Member

OK, so you understand being guided into all truth as something other than being inspired to follow after righteousness.

5. rbell

rbell Active Member

(snicker) 2 thoughts:

1. You just like to say "rancour" because it sounds like a word from your "side of the pond.":laugh:
    2. I'm not normally superstitious, but now that you've complimented everybody, page 20 will include a "yo' mama," 62 insults, and 100% thread snippage.

New catch word of the day: take your pick...
    • "Rancour" (be sure and get the Brit's spelling); or
    • "Thread snippage."

6. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Why should I be inspired to follow after righteousness when God commands righteousness in Mt. 6:33?

7. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

If the original KJV of 1611 was the perfect inspired word of God then what happened when the Apocrypha was omitted?

Take a look at http://www.bible.org/page.php?page_id=1197

You changed the spelling of the word from your original posting. You are inspired and already made at least one mistake? Your original posting was “That is called seprentology.”

The Holy spirit never works in past tense. It is always in the present. The way of righteousness is ahead not behind. The problem with two many is they are pickled and ineffective when they should be alive and living for Christ. I would bet that you have read some of the books from some pickled folks in CA who lived not far from me when I lived there. They are very ineffective in reaching anyone. Their church is dead and stagnant. It is made up of a few families who have been there a long time. This problem has been going each time there has been a new translation. It happened to a few who tried to translate the Bible into English. The KJVO folks would like to lead everyone to believe they are martyrs for the faith and they are the first of their kind. In reality they are just another new flame of the same background.

It is not about how intellectual you are or how much you know but about how many disciples you have made in living for Jesus Christ. I have never seen anyone who is intent on living for Jesus Christ that is not at some point making disciples.

If you want to use that KJV go right ahead but get out there and make disciples.

Seems to me that Jesus spoke very clearly. Sometimes take a look at the messages Jesus gave and see how simple most of them are. They are easily understood. The problem is that the vast majority of Christians today are led to believe they are living the Christian life if they do works such as read their Bible, go to church, go to Sunday School, show up at prayer meeting. The problem is that very few are actively making disciples. If they are not making disciples then they are not doing what every Christian is called to do in Mt. 28:19 ,20.

Sometime when you get a chance read http://www.bibleteacher.org/Dm118_8.htm

8. Keith M

Keith M New Member

Not true at all, Salamander. Here is an excerpt taken from The Translators to the Reader found at http://www.ccel.org/bible/kjv/preface/pref9.htm where the original document is divided into 10 pages. This quote from the translators is found on page 9.

The translators of the 1611 KJV did in fact make changes in their own work. Why would they deliberately present a false statement regarding these changes and amendations if they did not make any changes as you incorrectly claim?

Please name the source(s) of this information, Salamander. One could also say that since the belief in KJVOism has grown among some groups we see much akin to worldliness. It is no more correct to blame the condition of the world on MVs than it is to balme the condition of the world on the KJVO folks. The condition of today's world is due to the influence of Satan, not any particular Bible version(s).

#188 Keith M, Apr 24, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2007
  9. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Salamander:As the modern versions of today take the place of the KJB we see much akin to worldliness, so far to the effect that men of just 100 years ago would have to backslide just to fellowship with most of today's "Christians".

I see nothing but guesswork here. Any worldliness, etc. comes from mens' attitudes, not the Bible version(s) they use. Your guesswork here is akin to guessing it's the KJV's fault for the births of the many cults that use/used the KJV.

You don't give men of god much credit for being able to make informed choices, Sal. The British of the 1880s recognized the RV as a poor translation by their GOD-GIVEN knowledge & rejected it, but when the better-made new translations came along, people readily accepted them. Now, was this from GOD, or not? remember, people eventually accepted the AV over the geneva Bible although the GB had been made by some of the best translators in history, was, and still is a perfectly-valid translation. It's all part of God's keeping His word before the people in THEIR current language...a language chosen for them by GOD.

Could it be that the KJVOs are TRYING TO FIGHT GOD in resisting His modernization of His word? After all, all language changes, updates, & printing of Scripture are allowed/caused by GOD. The devil is just fulla tricks & deceptions. While he cannot take your salvation, he CAN trick you into fighting against the Scriptures by using such deceptions as KJVO.

Remember...JESUS is THE WORD.

10. Keith M

Keith M New Member

Do you feel this is the true source of the KJVO movement, Cranston?

11. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe it was suggested by the devil to the Christians who first picked up the cult official's book. Given that clear origin & given the streak of DISHONESTY that pervades the early KJVOs' worx(& some modern ones as well, such as Riplinger's misquotes) I'll go as far to say it's CERTAINLY not from GOD. Whatever methods God uses, such dishonesty is not among them.

I see no real opposition to the statement that the current KJVO doctrine indeed originated from Wilkinson's Our Authorized Bible Vindicated, so indeed this thread has served its porpoise if no one speaks in opposition to this statement.

12. Salamander

Salamander New Member

Right, why should YOU seek after righteousness just because it's the Holy Ghost inspired word of God!:praying:

13. Salamander

Salamander New Member

uh, you got me there, I wasn't around to object from the anglican point of view about anything then or anything now.

OK, so I am fallible and you cannot allow some one to correct spelling without getting all up in the air about it.

(That would be Holy "S"pirit, but who's worried about that.)
    Anopther preconceived notion of yours. Would you really like to investigate my witnessing and soul winning? My wife and I brought, with the help of the Holy Ghost, 16 souls to church this past Sunday. Our church is vibrant to say the least. We are Old Fashioned IFB with approximately 400 in attendence every Sunday morning.

Nice statement, but I have about 25 "disciples" every Sunday morning.:godisgood:

Thank you for your permission.

You are exactly right about that. What I really like is those Bible words that make it perfectly clear by their association to the rwality of sin and righteousness, ungodliness and holiness. I cannot stand the linguistic excuses we have in the watered down form of words presently used in most MV's.

Take "sodomite", there is no confusion that it is relative to sinful behaviour, but when compared to "homosexual", well that is being redefined as acceptable and an alternative lifestyle. You would agree wouldn't you?

If you want to bring the word of God down to men's level of defining right and wrong, let me warn you, it is sin to do so.:godisgood:

14. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I am not inspired. I am commanded. The Scripture is inspired by God.

Just because scripture is inspired by God does not guarantee obedience on my part. Many Christians live like practical atheists.

15. Salamander

Salamander New Member

The final changes were made before the first printing, you do know that. I made no false staement neither did they.

Evidences in the usage of versions will be the best source.

No KJVO church I know of uses contemporary music just for an example.

No KJVO church I know of is even borderline charismatic.

And the list could go on.:godisgood:

16. Salamander

Salamander New Member

But you would then have to admit you are inspired to obey.

17. Salamander

Salamander New Member

How could the devil cause me to believe the word of God and thereby "trick" me into believing the word of God?:laugh:

You take any Bible word, usually deemed "archaic" by your camp, and define it in comparison to the impression that it makes upon the hearer with the "new" word. The "new" word just doesn't give the impact. That would be the devil's work of subtility. Bible 101.

18. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Keep up the good work. You are just starting. Get them to the point where they can stand on their own and then they will be a missionary everywhere they go. If not then they are infants and pew warmers.

I guess they took away from the word of God then didn’t they? No doubt you have a liberal Bible then because it does not have the complete words of the original KJV 1611. Did they go to a modern version of the KJV?

Keep up the good work. Get them to the point where they can stand on their own and then they will be a missionary everywhere they go. If not then they are just infants and pew warmers. To do that is like a hen who lays some eggs and then sits on them and none hatch but continues to sit on them while they rot. If that happened the eggs would have been better eaten for food.

You did not answer a few of my questions
    1. If a modern translation misleads people to ungodliness. What did most (about 98%) of the early Christians do who could not read and write?

2. Do you not know that during the time of Jesus there were more than two translations? Which one was the word of God? English did not exist at that time. God never chose English as the language through which he chose to reveal himself through his word. After studying Hebrew and Greek I can easily see why God chose that language rather than English. It gives me an even greater appreciation for God, his wisdom and choices.

I know of some that have no choice. They are dead as though they never lived. They will be closing their doors soon because all will have died.

I assume you speak the kings English too?

The Greek used in the NT during that time was the acceptable street language of the day. So to get the best possible translation and equivalent impact in English we must use the acceptable street language in use today.

The people during the time the NT was written shared their faith with non-Christians, prayed, made disciples, preached, studied and communicated their faith in the same language the NT was written in. Do you the same with KJV language or do you use that awful modern approach using modern language found in Webster’s dictionary dated within the past 20years?

Certainly you would not walk up to a stranger who is very happy and tell him the King's English that you are glad he is gay. I would hope you would never use the word KJV uses for urinating when talking with your wife among non-Christians who were leaders in society.

You stated that you go to a King James only church. Does your church have a first edition copy of the KJV.? If not then they have chosen to teach and preach from a revision. If I use a Greek NT for a sermon that takes 30 min. I can stretch it to about 40 to 45 min using a KJV. It works every time. So the people get less preaching and more instruction in what the old English words mean.

19. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

We are on page 20. Thread closed - topic discussed. Lets leave this topic for a while now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.