1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Knights of Columbus

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by JamieinNH, Aug 8, 2006.

1. JamieinNH

JamieinNH New Member

As a Baptist, what do you say for and against the Knights of Columbus? Are they in the same ranks as the Masons, or do they actually serve good?

Here in New England, they are big so I would like to know what everyone thinks of them.

Thanks,

Jamie

2. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

I think this is an organization that is associated with the Roman Catholic church? (that would be strikes 1, 2, and 3 right there)

Of course I really have no facts to give and this is just my impression.

3. Joseph M. Smith

Joseph M. Smith New Member

The Knights of Columbus are essentially a Roman Catholic answer to the Masons and other similar fraternal orders. I am sure they undertake some works of charity, but their distinct purpose is the support of the Catholic church. My impression is that they take a rather tradition, conservative approach to that ... with things like their fully plumed and bemedalled honor guard at the recent installation of the new Archbishop of Washington.

4. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

The Knights of Columbus in my town is where all the catholics go to play Bingo, watch sports on a large TV, and get drunk on Saturday nights (before they go to confession on Sunday morning).

Their main moneymaker is their bar. So if they do any good works, the finances come mainly from the selling of liquor.

I was raised catholic and lost respect for many lay people and also some priests after seeing them smoke, drink (and how they cursed and acted) at the Knights of Columbus. My dad would take me there when I was a young teen (he drank with his buddies). It sickened me.

5. Bro. Talmadge

Bro. Talmadge New Member

Where I live, the county is dry. The Knights of Columbus has bingo every Thursday night. Other than that, they let the hall out for private functions and weddings. They also hold special benefits there for special needs for people in the community. Ocassionally, they have dances there. Maybe 2 times a year. I am sure they serve beer there then, but only then. I have friends that belong to the Catholic Church, in fact my wife is a so-so Catholic. She does not believe in alot of the traditions and such, but is still a Catholic. I am SB and have people that frown on me in the church where I go, but that is their problem. My wife is my wife. Of course she can not partake of certain things in the Catholic church because she married outside of the religion. But as I said, she is my wife and I love her .

6. cjnreb

cjnreb New Member

When I was a young teenager, I was part of what is called the Columbian squires which prepares teenagers to become part of the Knights of Columbus. Looking back there were a lot of things involved that are very questionable. We also were present for an awards type function and it was very strange. They men dressed in strange garments. They do charitable works, but their works are for the purpose of salvation which is unBiblical anyway. I grew up Catholic, but I have been saved and now I am pastoring a church.