1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Know it alls

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by UnchartedSpirit, Jun 30, 2006.

1. UnchartedSpirit

UnchartedSpirit New Member

McGee keeps talking about prophesy being the one thing that invariably validates scripture as God Breathed; what about all the scientefic observations that David and Job and whoever else kept mentioning? Scentists keep discovering this stuff to this day that David already knew about! My favorite is from the Proverbs though "Look at the ant...consider HER ways..." How did he know worker ants were female? They're tiny + covered in exoskeloton? Of course someone may throw out a masogeny clause to that one....

2. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is a fallacy in languages concerning gender. The "gender" associated with the "ant" may not reflect that they considered the ant to be "female", only that it was convenient to compose the sentence with feminine language. Sort of like referring to a "ship" as "her", or "she's beautiful" or some such thing when a neutral construction would be more appropriate.

By the way, my understanding is that the worker ants are male, and there is one queen ant. I am certain I could be wrong, but that does seem to be what I have heard or read.

peace to you:praise:

3. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ants, as with bees and other social insects, are primarily female.

• Queen = sexual female
    • Drones = sexual males who are born from unfertilized eggs of a queen
    • Workers = nonsexual females who are born from fertilized eggs of queen

4. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was a pest control technician for 30 years, in the Philippines, and some of those years here in the States, and all I can say is, Scarlett O, ya ain't no Rhett Butler's Scarlett. Ya got brains, ya'll do, and ya did yer homework.

Ya git an A++:thumbs:

5. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why thank you! I am a science teacher, you know.

6. UnchartedSpirit

still, does seeking Gods heart mean you get to learn everything about the cosmos and life along the way?

7. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

Not everything but if it is mentioned in the Bible, you can count on it.
    You will find that a lot of things in the OT that God commanded made Israel stronger than the other nations. THey were often times good practices that made them stronger and more prosperous

8. Mishelly

Mishelly New Member

The only one who will ever know all about the Cosmos is God

To know it all would be saying God is less then He Is

Nothing wrong with wanting to learn and to grow, but I do not think God wants us to know it all, otherwise the Towel of Babel would not have changed all of man

A little simplistic, but I am far from a know it all :smilewinkgrin:

9. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

And the tower of Babel was apparently God's wya of keeping man FROM knowing too much.

10. Mishelly

Mishelly New Member

Gen 11:6And the LORD said, Behold, the people [is] one, and they have all one language; and this they begin to do: and now nothing will be restrained from them, which they have imagined to do.
    7Go to, let us go down, and there confound their language, that they may not understand one another's speech.

I said it was a simplistic view, but if he wanted us to know all then why would he counfound our language?

#10 Mishelly, Jul 1, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2006
  11. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I stand corrected and informed. Thanks

peace to you:praise:

12. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The people who were building on the tower of Babel were not seeking to know and understand more. This story is not about knowledge.

It's about pride and rebellion. God told humanity to be fruitful and multiply in Genesis 9:7. God meant for them to scatter across the planet and subdue the earth.

They didn't. They stopped in a place called Shinar and decided to "settle" there. And they decided to build a monument to themselves and how wonderful they thought they all were.

They even had the arrogance to say in Genesis 11:4, "Let's build a tower and make a name for ourselves. Let's don't scatter across the earth like God said."

Their speech was "confounded". God created different "languages". And the people were scattered across the earth in groups. Just like God had said to do in the first place.

Lucifer wanted to be like God. In fact, he wanted to be God. The bible says so in Isaiah.

Eve was told that she could be as God if she followed her own rebellious will.

And these people were in the process of building an altar or monument to themselves. They wanted to be their own God.

The people weren't scattered and divided to keep them from knowing anything. It was to multiply and subdue the planet, like God intended from the beginning.

13. Mishelly

Mishelly New Member

Yes I understand that it began out of pride and Arrogance

6 And the LORD said, “Indeed the people are one and they all have one language, and this is what they begin to do; now nothing that they propose to do will be withheld from them

But God being God, (maybe I am reading too much into this as some do with the Bible), saw what it would lead too - man thinking they know more then God

Man is not suppose to know all, otherwise we would not need God. That is my thinking anyways.

14. UnchartedSpirit

there's no other explination to how david knew the properties of stars and that the sun had a celestial orbit of its own unless we say that the closer you get to God's heart, the mroe insige you gain over his creation