1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Knowing God's Perfect Will is as simple as...

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by righteousdude2, May 20, 2012.

1. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

The examples are vast.

I'll just give one:

Acts 4

27For of a truth against thy holy child Jesus, whom thou hast anointed, both Herod, and Pontius Pilate, with the Gentiles, and the people of Israel, were gathered together, 28For to do whatsoever thy hand and thy counsel determined before to be done.

2. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Come on, that passage does not teach that God intended men to sin in His creation. That passage teaches that God predestined men who were already sinful to carry out His plan.

#42 freeatlast, Jul 14, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 14, 2012
  3. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

It teaches that very thing.

God intended that sinful men commit the sin of murder in killing the Son of God.

The Bible could not be clearer.

Why is it not sin for God to ordain that sin come to pass?

Because sin is from THE HEART.

The HEART of God in crucifying his Son was pure and holy. He lovingly sought to bruise his Son and make him an offering for sin so that BILLIONS could be saved and his Son could achieve a glorious victory for which he would receive glory and honor from billions of people forever and ever.

That is God's motive in killing his Son. So for God, this is not evil.

For the humans who killed Jesus- it was murder.

4. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

And on this I disagree with you totally.

God built a world in which His sentient beings have the freedom of contrary choice. He had to do this because freedom is part of His character, as is love. He gave us freedom because that is Who He is, and because He loves us.

5. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

No sir. God did not HAVE to do this.

Freedom is not that important to God. We will not have the power of contrary choice throughout all of eternity once we leave here.

If this "free will" thing even exists at all, it is clear that it is a very temporary thing. For each human being, if he EVER has it, he only has it for a few years down here and then it is gone forever.

It is not that important. God himself does not have it (if you define it as the power of contrary choice) so it did not come from some part of his character.

God the Father did not have the power to NOT love the Son forever in eternity past- not for a millisecond. He does not have the power of such contrary choice now. He will never have it throughout the endless ages of eternity.

It is not that great of a thing then if it exists at all.

The greatest love is displayed when the power to do otherwise does not even exist.

So, respectfully, my brother, you are bad wrong here.

6. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

And because I respect you and the manner in which you debate, I hope you don't take this as a personal attack because it is not. It is a statement concerning doctrine: I simply hate and despise Calvinistic determinism and fatalism. I believe it is the most false and damaging doctrine of all. I believe the two words that are at the top of the list in describing God's character are love and freedom. I would also put mercy and compassion up there.

So, we are very far apart on this, and so of course I would consider that it is you and not I who is bad wrong. :)

But you are still my brother.

7. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Michael,
    Some of us would view the two words.....as Holy and Righteous....before any other attribute of God.

ie, a Holy Love
    a righteous Love...etc. i do not think you would dispute this...

Your aversion to calvinism could be that you do not see that calvinists see whatever God does...as Holy and Just,and righteous and loving also.

The other day you said that non cals believe in the doctrines of grace...although we both understand what you mean by the statement.
    If memory serves me correctly...one reason i sort of opposed you quite vigorously in times past was....{i think it was you}.....that you were saying something about the judgements in the OT......not being as scripture says they were??? If it was you who posted these ideas...that would explain why you would in part resist calvinistic teaching which would seek to biblically reconcile all posted verses as of God, as written....just an idea for you to consider. in other words
    The God who brought a flood upon the world of the ungodly, is the God of jn 3;16
    some day we can discuss this face to face...Lord willing

8. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

I understand what you are saying, and you do make good points. I do believe that God is a God of judgment as well as a God of love, and that holiness and righteousness are two of God's main attributes.

9. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

I understand.

God bless you, brother Michael.

10. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

Thanks! God bless you, too.

In spite of how I feel about Calvinism, one of my best friends on here in years past was a Primitive Baptist, Jeff Weaver. He always without fail showed the fruit of the Spirit in his discussions with me.

In fact, I like the Primitive Baptists; I find them to be consistent and genuine.

11. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Michael,
    All believers know this, so I knew you would agree. That does not make some portions easier to handle....emotionally. I think you are maybe more compassionate, by personality...so I can understand your struggle with some portions of judgement.
    I think all of us were somewhat stunned by some of what we read;
    The flood upon the world of the ungodly
    Sodom and Gommorah
    destruction of the Amalikites.
    185000 killed in one night

We in discussing these things go past them somewhat casually, yet they were actual people who perished. Death is a startling reality....we should not take it lightly...if anything it should fuel oue evangelism;

Paul in Romans 1 says the wrath of God is revealed....itwas on His mind.

Some believers are more mild mannered.....but all of us should pause and be thankful that God has not cut us off before making Himself known to us.

12. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A principle throughout the Bible!
    Abram told by God to go to a land of promise, details filled ina s he went

Same with Moses

Same with Apostle paul

God commissioned them to go out to do his will, but filled in the rest as they walked forward with him!

13. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In order to perserve his sovereignity and to some degree our 'free will", and for Him to receive the greatest glory...

He created this present Earth and mankind, having already predestinated to have His choen ones saved by his grace, inorder to bring glory to his name!

this is the best that is possible,as god knows All options available, and this one was the best way to have everything done!

14. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ONLY hyper cals have God fully determining all things, PERIOD, and that all that happens is predetermined without ANY human response/involvement!

You can tell when one is attacking a false view of cal, as they usually will bring up God as a Puppet master, and we are the puppets that strings he pulls!

#54 Yeshua1, Jul 17, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2012