1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Kudos to Paige

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Jimmy C, Apr 6, 2006.

1. Jimmy C

Jimmy C New Member

As one who is normally a bit critical to Paige Patterson, I would like to congratulate for promoting a woman in the school of religious education to full professor.

Way to go Paige

2. RandR

RandR New Member

I didn't see it in the press release. Who was it? Hedin?

3. Jimmy C

Jimmy C New Member

yes and a lady in the music school was also promoted to full professor. Interesting that BP did not pick up the two promotions - both were women!

4. RandR

RandR New Member

I never had Hedin for a class, but as a guest lecturer on the subject of how to write goals, goal indicators, etc. She struck me as incredibly sharp and a good teacher, regardless of gender. Glad to see her awarded appropriately.

5. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

also notice that SWBTS landed William Dembski on their faculty...

6. RandR

RandR New Member

preachin,

Saw that.

Call me cynical, but part of me believes that PP went after him just to rile up moderate Texas Baptists who were so vitriolic in their opposition to Dembski while he was at Baylor.

7. Jimmy C

Jimmy C New Member

I heard that Dembiski had gone to Southern, but had some family issues that required him to come back to Texas and Paige brought him back. man two supportive comments from me on behalf of Patterson in one week - what is this world coming to?

I am usually a big supporter of the BGCT, baylor et al - but I think they shot themselves in the foot over the Debisky issue. He seems like a solid guy, with great creditials.

8. Broadus

Broadus Member

You're right. Baylor revealed that it is more interested in academia's approval than true academic enquiry with their treatment of Dembski.

Bill

9. Bible-boy

Bible-boy Active Member

I don't know why you find this so amazing. When Dr. Patterson was President here at SEBTS we had (and still do have) Dr. Nannette Godwin as a full-time Associate Professor of Church Music and Phylis McCraw as Assistant Professor of English Composition (in the college). Additionally, I believe that Dr. Mrs. Patterson was the Professor of Women's Studies. What's the big deal?

10. Jimmy C

Jimmy C New Member

The big deal is that Dr. Hedin teaches in the School of Educational Ministries and teaches men as well as women. My guess is that since PP went to SEBTS that you can count on one finger the number of seminary proffs outside of the school of music that he has not only promoted but that still work that thier instutitions! Actually I am exagerating a bit - thee are four other women that teach in the EM school in childhood, administration and foundations of education. but, I have not heard of him promoting - and especially to full professor.

11. PatsFan

PatsFan New Member

From what I have noticed historically Religious Education has generally been a favorable place for women to teach in conservative schools. I'd be more impressed with women teaching theology.

12. RandR

RandR New Member

Jimmy and Broadus,

My comments weren't intended as antagonistic towards Dembski in any way.

13. Jimmy C

Jimmy C New Member

Rand

I did not take them that way!

Pats fan (poor guy had to watch all those superbowl losses) if you look at the SBC seminaries since the "resurgence" you will find fewer and fewer women proffs in any school but music, or childrens ministry - I dont think southern or SEBTS or Midwestern have any.

[I am so sorry. Please forgive me. I was attempting to reply to this post by using the quote function. However, I must have hit the edit function (my Moderator ability) and I deleted half of your post.]

[ April 07, 2006, 03:44 AM: Message edited by: Bible-boy ]

14. Bible-boy

Bible-boy Active Member

You'd be wrong on that count. Here at SEBTS we have, in addition to ones I already mentioned, at least two women profs that teach Christian Counseling. Another woman that teaches history in the college. When Dr. Patterson was here we had women profs that taught Spanish, and ESL to international students (respectively). Currently we also have a woman prof that teaches Western Civilization, and finally one more that is an Adjunct of Education. As far as I know we do have male students sitting in their classes.

15. computerjunkie

computerjunkie New Member

Please forgive me if this is "hearsay" or if I don't remember correctly, but when Patterson first came to SWBTS, didn't he make it clear he would never have women professors? And didn't he either fire or demote a couple of them who were?

(I've been trying to remember the specifics since I first saw the OP. And if I'm remembering correctly, didn't it cause a big flap at the time?)

16. Jimmy C

Jimmy C New Member

Bible boy

You obviously know what is going on at SEBTS better than I do. At SWBTS he did make it plain that he did not think that a woman could teach in the theology school, as a result Bullock was gone and I think that Dr Kolouda has been told that she will not be granted tenure when she comes up for it. Klouda teaches hebrew.

I was suprised that a female prof in the EM school was promoted to full prof - not so much that she was kept on as the EM school is less threatening.

I did hear an interesting stat the other day however - the enrollment in the theology school is down, but up in the EM school - despite all efforts to direct as many students into the theology school as possible. Despite the big press conference last year that the days of declining enrollment are over that enrollment has in fact declined since Patterson took over.

17. PatsFan

PatsFan New Member

Those two losses at SB XX and XXXI seem like a distant memory after the dynasty the Pats now enjoy. I'm a very happy fan, but thanks for your empathy. lol.

18. PatsFan

PatsFan New Member

The new president at Gordon-Conwell up my way is a Southern Baptist, Dr. James Emery White who taught at their Charlotte branch. I wonder if they'll see in increase in SB students?

http://www.gcts.edu/communications/2006/presidentwhite.php

19. Jimmy C

Jimmy C New Member

Pats fan

man did I have a brain dead moment - I was thinking Buffalo! The Pats have been great - love thier team and coach

20. PatsFan

PatsFan New Member

An honest mistake.