1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

L=Limited Atonement

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by annie, Nov 19, 2004.

1. Wes Outwest

Wes Outwest New Member

NOT QUITE RIGHT, RAY

The Atonement for sin is a ONE TIME COMPLETED WORK OF GOD. NO MAN ever faces death because of sin! Not even Adam and Eve. Now death resulting as a consequence of a particular sin is just that a consequence of the act, not a penalty for the act.

Believing, and FAITHING is an ON GOING, Continuing process with EACH generation of man for which God continues to extend his Grace.

God is wooing us to FAITH in Him, and All who get Wooed receive the Everlasting life Jesus promised in John 3:16.

2. GeneMBridges

GeneMBridges New Member

Where does Scripture say we are being "wooed" by God to believe?

3. Wes Outwest

Wes Outwest New Member

Maybe you're not Gene

4. GeneMBridges

GeneMBridges New Member

I gather that was a remark about my spirituality? Alternatively was that an answer to the question I asked?

Wes,

I will ask you again, where in Scripture are we ever taught that God "woos" us?

5. Ray Berrian

Ray Berrian New Member

Brother Gene,

When a young man likes a particular girl he woos her to himself. I checked out the word and it means ‘to seek something.’ A transitive and intransitive verb meaning to try to please in order to gain something, as in fame or approval.

When we use this word, woo, it is in the context of God gracious love for the lost as understood in John 3:16. His Holy Spirit is going out calling sinners to Himself. He encourages and woos sinners to His love and offer and gift of forgiveness and grace. His conviction, convincing and Divine drawing allows the lost one to know of His great concern for their lost condition of soul.

God does not use the word, decree, to my knowledge in the N.T. but I am sure that you agree that He has decreed certain events that must take place in the future. No---the word, ‘woo’ is not found in the Bible, but God the Sprit still is trying to gain an entrance into the life of the lost. Can they reject? Yes. Note: Acts 7:51 & Isaiah 63:10 & Jeremiah 19:15.

He woos and knocks at the hearts door. [Revelation 3:20] This is the way He ministers to people; He does not force entrance into the life of the sinner or a readmission into the lives of His church.

You may have never used this term before you were married, if indeed you have married. If you are now married I would guess that you may not have used the word, ‘woo’ but I think you showed your wife to be, a serious interest in her so that she caught the message.

Do you still have a problem with this word?

6. GeneMBridges

GeneMBridges New Member

Then what about the word "helkush?" Is that wooing too?

What Scripture says that he invites us to believe?

My Bible says He commands us to believe. My Bible says He draws us, and we are willingly drawn.

Irresistible grace does not mean we can not resist. It means God overcomes the resistance we offer.

7. Ray Berrian

Ray Berrian New Member

I give up; what chapter and verse.

John 3:16

Yes, thank God we have received and tasted and seen that the Lord is good. But what about those who reject our witness or preaching? These have resisted the will of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. [II Peter 3:9]

Arminian theology speaks of Resistible Grace, meaning that multiple millions have already rejected His call and offer of His magnificent gift. [Ephesians 2:8] A gift rejected is not Irresistible Grace.

The gift is indeed Himself which must be received. Children at Christmas will 99 percent of the time open the gifts. Sinful men and women often refuse to receive His salvific plan for their lives.

A Biblical case in point comes from Acts 7:51 where the Israelite fathers in former generations and the hearers of Stephen's defense of the faith rejected the message from God, the Author of the words of truth, meaning the Holy Spirit. And finally they stoned the prophetic messenger, Stephen. This example of Resistible Grace ended with the death of Stephen. Some have suggested, and I am one of them, that Jesus stands when one of His people becomes a martyr.

This was not new because the Israelites often killed the messengers of God's truth, which I am sure is not new information to all of you.

8. Wes Outwest

Wes Outwest New Member

The whole of Scripture is called the Word of God. In today's terminology we would call the Word of God, "God's word published". Part of God's word published says that "FAITH cometh by hearing and Hearing by (from or through) the word of God. So we are "wooed" to have faith by reading or "hearing" the word of God, or through the Preaching of God's word by preachers, teachers, missionairies, hearing it from neighbors, friends and family. It is the hearing of God's word that WOOs us to HIM. The Gospel of Jesus Christ sent forth NEVER RETURNS EMPTY (VOID)