1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

labor issues

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by billwald, Feb 4, 2012.

1. billwald

billwald New Member

2. mont974x4

mont974x4 New Member

Businesses have a right to hire who they want. Workers have a right to look elsewhere. The free market would work out the details. Those employers who treat their people well and provide quality goods and services succeed. Bad bosses and bad employees tend to provide bad services and will fail. Until that happens we will have to endure government sanctioned discrimination...and a dying economy.

3. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Deport those who are here illegally and make is a felony for hiring someone who is illegal.

4. Arbo

Arbo Active Member
    Site Supporter

Why and how can the thread be forbidden to you?

5. billwald

billwald New Member

>Why and how can the thread be forbidden to you?

Because I am not at present an official member of a Baptist church and I respect the list owner's rules.

> Businesses have a right to hire who they want. Workers have a right to look elsewhere. The free market would work out the details.

Agree with the proviso that workers should have the right to picket employers including secondary boycotts.

6. mont974x4

mont974x4 New Member

LOL "picket"? is that how you read my statement? The fact is, you do not have to apply for a job anywhere. You get to choose. It really is not picketing, is it? It's simply knowing what companies you want to work for and seeking employment there with terms you are willing to accept.

All that happens best today with government, and certainly without unions. These two forces are why GM and Dode needed a bailout....and why they were such a huge mistake.

7. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Unless I read it wrong your link is not a Baptist only section.

Bill, what makes you think we hate labor laws and unions?

The problem is the extremes - in both directions. Sure, when a business required someone to work 16 hours a day - 6 days a week - yes something has to be done. But supposed a union demanded a 3 day a week 5 hour day, yet be paid the same as a 40 hour week. True - it has not gotten to that - yet. However unions are demanding more and more. More to the point where the business fails. That just happened here in Syracuse a couple of years ago.

Camillus Cutlery was founded in 1876. Multitude of knives were produced in this suburb of Syracuse for well over a century. One large customer of these knives were the Armed Forces. However competition was stiff from overseas. In order to continue, it was imperative that the union take a cut in pay and benefits. The union decided to strike. Final result - the plant closed. Everyone was out of a job. In addition, Camillus is a very small village and several of the small mom & pop stores were forced to close as well.

The union demanded too much and everybody looses.

As far as the big govt- I don't need their help in protecting me from myself. Allow the business sector to handle most activities. Services such as fire, police, etc should be a govt responsibility. I am tired of the govt taking my money to support those who refuse to help themselves.
    Allow private charities/churches to provide human services and with much less regulation.

8. targus

targus New Member

Everyone has the right to picket anyone.

Why do you imply that "workers" (who ever that is) do not have the right to picket?