1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Laity-administered ordinances

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by Michael Wrenn, Dec 2, 2001.

1. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

I know this is supposed to be an acceptable practice in Baptist churches, but has anyone here ever seen it done? In all of my 46 years, I never have.

2. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is acceptable practice in SOME Baptist churches. I have never seen it done, but do know of one church that did actually do endorse a layman to baptize while they were without a pastor. They based the practice on the belief that baptism is by church authority, so the church could authorize whomever to perform the ceremony. Ironically, this church did not believe in divorced pastors, but authorized a divorced layman to baptize someone.

In my opinion and experience, many Baptists are able to endorse this practice in theory, but will draw back short of actually practicing it themselves.

Disclaimer: I do not endorse any of the above, but am just relating a historical incident.

3. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

In our church recently, the youth minister (Non ordained) baptized someone, and a father baptized his son.

During children's classes, sometimes I will do the elements of the Lord's supper to teach the children. We actually do it very seriously and reverentially, like in a service.

4. donnA

donnA Active Member

In our church there is a man who baptised both his children when they were saved. Needing an ordained preacher only limits people on obedience. What of those who do not have a preacher available and want to take the Lord's Supper. I don't know of any bible verses that say it has to be a preacher.

5. Brian Collins

Brian Collins New Member

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by katie:
    Needing an ordained preacher only limits people on obedience. What of those who do not have a preacher available and want to take the Lord's Supper. I don't know of any bible verses that say it has to be a preacher.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree with you in principle, and do not believe it must be administered by an ordained man. However, how would such an ordinance be ministered where a preacher is not present? It is a local-church ordinance. A local church certainly has the authority to permit men to go to the home of a shut-in to administer the ordinance, but the scriptual precedent is that people came together for the Lord's supper.

--B C

6. donnA

donnA Active Member

How?
    Good question Brian.

What if as I said there is no preacher available. Only christians seeking obedience? Can you only take the Lord's supper in church? Or only adminstered by a member of the church where you have membership? hat if those things are not available? What if that christian(s) feel the need for obedience, called to it by the Holy Spirit?

If you demand more details, I can give them, it's not really anything that most the people on here don't know, but, I feel this is enough information.

7. TomVols

TomVols New Member

I have seen it done, although I've seen much more lay participation in Lord's Supper than I have in baptism. I see nothing unScriptural about lay administration of ordinances.