1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Landmarkers in the BMA

Discussion in 'Baptist History' started by rlvaughn, Jan 15, 2006.

1. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm starting this thread mainly as a place to post the following link: BMA Encyclopedia Online.

The BMA Encyclopedia Online has short biographies of a number of leaders in the Baptist Missionary Association of America -- such as W. J. Burgess, J. E. Cobb (Cobb's Church Manual), D. N. Jackson, Herman B. Pender -- and some who were never in the BMA, such as J. M. Pendleton and Ben M. Bogard.

2. Erasmus

Erasmus New Member

The BMA is great association. They have a strong Baptist College (Jacksonville) and Seminary. They have been a great help to me on numerous occassions. They also known to have a couple of first-rate Greek scholars at the college.

3. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    BMATS has the best religious library in my area. They're about 30 miles away. Did you know Louis Asher? He taught church history there. He has a good book on John Clarke. It was actually published posthumously by his family.

You mentioned something about the East Texas Historical Association meeting in one of the other threads. I remember looking at when it is being held, although I don't remember exactly when right now. But I don't expect I'll make it.

4. Erasmus

Erasmus New Member

No, I did not know Profesor Asher. I know former president Bryan, but not well. He is quite a scholar and was helpful on my Hayden book. I look forward to meeting you at Huntsville. The coffee is on me. Well, actually it is free. Just wondering, have you heard all the talk about the BMA joining the SOuthern Baptists of Texas? BOth are fine organizations, but I am afraid if they merge the BMA will be swollowed up and that will be the end of them.

5. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm not familiar with talk of the BMAT & SBTC merging other than in a general sense. My instinct would be that the majority of the BMAT would not go for it, but I may be too far removed to know that well anymore. I am aware that the SBTC has formed a kind of partnership with the Jacksonville school. It has long been common for students of JBC (a junior college) to leave and finish at Baylor. I think now a lot finish at ETBU in Marshall, TX. The BMAT probably lost a lot of folks to the SBC because of that.

I would also think the BMAA churches outside of Texas would frown on such a merger. But I guess that could be inconsequential, since the Texas group is the larger part of the BMAA. Even if the majority favors such a move, it would probably result in what happens with most Baptist merges - there will be a portion who will maintain the old association.

I guess there is a sense in which I wouldn't care, since I am not in the BMAT. But I have a warm place for that association, both because of my historical ties to it (my g-grandfather was party to those meetings that formed it) and that the first church I joined was in the BMAT (I was baptized by Bro. Asher). In that sense, I'd hate to see it swallowed up and be no more.

6. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    I haven't come across anything about a BMAT-SBCT merger, though I admit I am out of the loop on such things. Certainly I would expect there to be some talk about a merger, given the JBC deal.

I honestly don't know what would be accomplished by a merger, other than creating more institutional incompatibilities. (However, I recently read a Baptist Progress article in which Max Lucado was quoted favorably, so who knows what's ahead?)

The goal of the JBC deal was, I thought, to funnel more JBC graduates to Criswell College (associated with the SBTC) instead of Baylor or ETBU. I assume that Criswell would be more compatible with the BMAT than Baylor is; I can't speak about ETBU (although it's associated, as is Baylor, with the BGTC.)

7. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I found the following blog that has two articles discussing a possible BMAT/SBTC merger -- http://nbbcemergent.blogspot.com/ Just scroll down, I think it is the second and fourth blogs, at least right now. They will probably drop down day by day.

If I understand the blogger correctly, Leon McBeth is his source of information.

8. Mark Osgatharp

Mark Osgatharp New Member

Brother Vaughn,

It may be off the subject of this thread, but I looked at the blog link you gave and found this interesting quote in Al Mohler's address (from 1993) posted there:

I am amazed that a man of Mr. Mohler's stature would assert that "open and close communion" were considered issues on which the Baptists were divided in the 1800s. Anyone in the least familiar with the issue should know that close communion was fundamental Baptist doctrine through the 1800s, even among the anti-Landmarkers and the northern Baptists. It was "closed", not "close", communion which was a Landmark peculiarity.

In fact, close communion is explicit in the abstract of principles on which Southern Seminary was founded and is part of the Baptist Faith and Message to this day.

Perhaps Mr. Mohler is confusing "open" and "close" with "close" and "closed."

Mark Osgatharp

[ January 19, 2006, 11:34 PM: Message edited by: Mark Osgatharp ]