1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Last-minute Bush abortion ruling causes furor

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Revmitchell, Nov 19, 2008.

1. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

Pro Choice is a misnomer, its pro murder of the unborn and sometimes the just been born.:tear:

2. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    bolded mine

When the credit is to Bush, the left cannot acknowledge it in the least measure.

3. OldRegular

It is simple; the left does not agree with what Bush did. But you are correct they would criticize him anyhow.

4. JustChristian

JustChristian New Member

According to the article this protection is already available in existing law.

Leavitt, a leading proponent of the rule, said it would increase compliance with laws adopted since 1973 to protect health care workers.
    "Federal law," he said, "is explicit and unwavering in protecting federally funded medical practitioners from being coerced into providing treatments they find morally objectionable.”

I think this is more about Bush's concern about his legacy than providing new anti-abortion law.

5. Bible-boy

Bible-boy Active Member

In light of the above post I'd say you were speaking prophetically.:smilewinkgrin: Nonetheless, Way to go President Bush!

#25 Bible-boy, Nov 20, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2008
  6. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I don't see the connection between serving alcohol and aborting a baby.

7. OldRegular

Am I wrong? I thought everyone on this Forum was a good Baptist.:BangHead:

8. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    My first questions when I read this was: Why is this proposed legislation needed? Don't these things already exist?

Agnus_Dei's analysis of the reasoning makes the most sense. It is an effort to make it look like Republicans care about pro-life issues because they are concerned about losing their base.

9. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

Yes, but they are being strongly challenged by the abortion lobby and need to be strengthened, since leaving it up to courts could result in lost freedoms in this area.

If that is the case, why didn't Bush do this, say, in October 2004 when he was up for reelection?

10. Gold Dragon

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Do you have evidence that these things are being challenged and the courts not upholding the current wording of the law, making this legislation necessary?
    Republicans were not worried about their base at that time.

#30 Gold Dragon, Nov 21, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 21, 2008
  11. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

How in the world do you know what the Republicans were worried about?

12. Gold Dragon

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    It is my opinion based on the 2004 election results and my memories of polls leading up to the election. Maybe Republicans were worried about their base at that time. If so, they did well in the election in spite of it.

13. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Election results and polls are not near enough to maintain an educated opinion on this.

14. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Really now, maybe your in depth knowledge of the issues of the day and your vast governmental experience are.

15. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

There is no way someone in Australia can know what the Repubs or Dems are worried about when making campaign decisions.

16. Gold Dragon

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    If you disagree with my opinion and think that the Republicans were worried about the support of their base in 2004, feel free to disagree an provide evidence of your view. I was living in Canada in 2004 and if you think that non-Americans cannot have opinions about American politics, I hope you are consistent with your view and keep your mouth closed with regard to non-American politics. I personally think that people can knowledgeably comment on politics outside of their country of residence.

17. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

Don't have time to do your research you - the information is out there, though. This issue has heated up the last few years. But I would also like to see your proof that Bush is simply doing this to "shore up the base" or that he is doing it for nefarious reasons, etc. That was your claim. Now let's see your proof.

Maybe not, but is this issue really just about the "base"? I would think this is a winning issue all around - I would guess that regardless of one's view on abortion rights, that the vast majority of Americans support conscience clauses. There's really nothing more totalitarian, dictatorial and anti-American as opposing conscience clauses. And I would say probably 80% or more of Americans agree with me. This is a winning issue, politically all around - it's not just a base issue. So why didn't Bush do this in 2004 if he's doing it now out of pure political motivation, as you say?

18. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

Double post.

#38 Andy T., Nov 24, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 24, 2008