1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Latest Dumb Idea From Democrats - Gas Stamps

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Dragoon68, Sep 15, 2008.

1. Dragoon68

Dragoon68 Active Member

2. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Entitlement junkies won't be happy unless they can be used for "supreme" and not just "regular" unleaded.

Shameless pandering for votes.

3. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    From the link:
    "The idea for fuel stamps was first proposed by maverick Rep. Jim McDermott (D-Wash.), chairman of the House Income Security and Family Support subcommittee, who remembers his family using gas stamps when he was a boy during World War II."

Just to clarify, the reason for gas stamps during WWII was for rationing - not for poor people
    Not only was gas rationed but several other items as well - see this link: as well as this one

When I was in Germany '70-80's our gas was rationed - but only for tax purposes. We were allowed 200-400 litters of gas per month - based on your engine size. You could buy all the gas you wanted, but your authorized amount was free of (Germany) taxes -

4. PamelaK

PamelaK New Member

Salty, yep, the first thing my husband said to me when I told him about the stamps was "What, they want to ration gas?"

Just more of the same ole thinking from the Dems -we should have to depend on the gov't for everything.

5. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The more the Ds talk, the stinkier they get!!
    All this hot air is the true source of GW!!:saint::laugh::thumbs:

6. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I guess the other alternative would be to let Alaskans pay state taxes like the rest of us do so big oil doesn't pass their taxes on to us.

Perhaps that's the fastest way to bring the price of gas down... :thumbs:

7. Dragoon68

Dragoon68 Active Member

"Big oil" or "little oil" - any business - passes their taxes and the cost of collecting them on to us. That's the fallacy of corporate taxes. It all gets rolled up into the cost of goods and services.

Alaska can figure out how to tax it's own citizens just like all the other states do. It varies from state to state.

Gas stamps would be nothing more than a political tool to buy votes. We'd just end up paying for someone else's gasoline plus all the handling fees. They'd view the gift of "free" gas as an entitlement - another "right" - and they won't have an incentive to do anything for themselves.