1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Law & Liberty. The definition of legalism

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by evangelist6589, Mar 12, 2014.

1. JamesL

JamesL Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you believe "made holy" will ever become a reality and actuality?

Or do you believe you will enter heaven actually sinful, yet viewed as righteous?

2. JamesL

JamesL Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That gave me a good laugh this morning, the way you worded it. dadblame - hilarious

Although, it appears that you might have misunderstood me as advocating Arminianism. I don't. I have just as much disdain for Arminianism as I do Calvinism

I know that the majority of Calvinists believe that anyone who is not Roman Catholic are either Calvinist or Arminian, but there are some of us who are neither

3. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Matthew 13:1-23 presents the parable of the sower. Only one of the four soils was saved, the fourth soil. Yes, the 2 and 3 soils did believe, but not wholeheartedly. Thus God did not credit their "faith" as righteousness. This teaches fallen men can seek God and His Christ, but not be fully committed to God or Christ, thus flunking the lover your God with all your heart command.

You are right, doing good works does not prove you are saved. I stand corrected. The lack of striving over time to do good works proves the absence of salvation.

This may describe the "P" of Calvinism, but does not describe OSAS. People can be sidetracked and build on the foundation of Christ with stuff that earns no rewards, and so they enter heaven as one escaping from a fire.

Well one of us does! :)

Again you are right, the "Easy Believeism" folks fall outside my view.

But those sidetracked folks who produced little or nothing meriting reward, had put their faith in Christ such that God credited it as righteousness, thus a good work, and they had strived (mistaken as they were) to earn rewards through good works.

If you do a study of the word translated fully assured in your reference, Luke 1:1, Romans 4:21, Romans 14:5, 2 Timothy 4:5 and 2 Timothy 4:17, you will see that it refers to someone fully committed, such that they do their best to accomplish their ministry.

These like the second and third soils did not put their wholehearted faith in Christ, thus to assert they were saved is dubious at best.

You have knocked down your strawman, but no one had advocated that view. There are more views of what 1 John 5:16-17 is talking about than you can shake a stick at. My view, shared with many others, is that the sin leading to death is to reject Jesus as the Son of God and the Christ sent by God to redeem whoever believes in Him. That is the sin leading to death, and we should not ask for God to forgive that sin.

Your view may be the fallacy as shown above.

My view is that faith refers to faithful faith, a faith from which efforts toward good works flow, the "alive" faith of James, and not the dead faith of Easy Believeism.

Perhaps he thought we would realize the fruit of the Spirit are the good works that flow from faithful faith. :)

Van answered and here it is again, if a person was actually saved, then they will enter heaven as one escaping from a fire. Ring a bell?

Van answered and here it is again, if a person starts out with faith and then falls away, like the second or third soil of Matthew 13, they were never saved in the first place, never born anew. But if a person is actually born anew, then 1 Peter 1:3-5 teaches God protects their faith such that they will never even think about walking away.

In closing, I want to say thanks, not very many people on this forum were able to poke so many holes in my posts as you just did. But, at the end of the day, easy believeism is not what the Bible actually teaches or so I believe.

#23 Van, Mar 24, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 24, 2014