1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Law of Christ

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by Jarlaxle, Nov 27, 2002.

1. Frank

Frank New Member

DHK:
    I do not have a misunderstanding of baptist doctrine. All one has to do is listen to what you espouse and read the creed books and the implications are clear. One who denies baptism is essential to salvation, but affirms it is necessary to enter a denominational church has, in effect, made it easier to get into heaven than the denominational church. There can be no other rational conclusion based on what you espouse. You can deny it if you want. In fact, I wish you would.
    Since you claim I misunderstand the baptist position, please enlighten me as to how the implication made from the doctrine is as you say a " misunderstanding."

2. Frank

Frank New Member

DHK:
    I realize I am not going to get a scriptural answer to my question. However, I will give you one to yours. The Bible says one must be baptized for, unto the remission of sins. Acts 2:38. In fact, the question is asked by those in Acts 2:37. Peter responded and by inspiration telling them what they must do to be saved. SEE vs. 40,41. According to the apostle Paul baptism puts one into Christ. Gal. 3:26,27, This is where salvation is located. II Tim. 2:1O. There are NO SPIRITUAL BLESSINGS OUTSIDE CHRIST. Eph. 1:3. All spiritual blesssings are IN CHRIST. According to the inspired volume, How does one get into Christ. See Gal. 3:26,27, Mat. 28:18-20. The inspired Peter says in I Pet. 3:21, The like figure where unto even baptism doth also now save us not the putting away of the filth of the flesh but the answer of a clean conscience toward God by the resurrection of Jesus Christ."
    Furthermore, your argumentation is misguided. I could ask the same thing about belief as it pertains to salvation. If one dies after two years has passed without believing is he saved? How do yo know? If one dies two years after he has believed, but he has not repented of his sins is he saved? How do you know? What about the same scenario and confession? Is he saved without it? How do you know?
    The fact is man has only the now to be saved. The Bible says in II Cor. 6:2, "(For he saith, I have heard thee in a time accepted, and in the day of salvation have I succoured thee: behold, NOW is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation.) The only convenient season is the NOW. There is no record of Festus, Agrippa,or the Rich Ruler ever being saved. Each had a time and an opportunity but rejected the Christ or his gospel. Time has nothing to do with whether one is saved or not. However, obeying the gospel of Christ does. Hebrews 5:8,9, John 8:24, Luke 13:3, Mat. 10:32, Mark 16:16, Romans 6:17,18.
    It is a very tenuous postiton to wait to obey the commands of God. Proverbs 27:1. "¶Boast not thyself of to morrow; for thou knowest not what a day may bring forth." James 4:14,15 makes it abundantly clear that tomorrow is not promised to anyone, not even well meaning folk. "Whereas ye know not what shall be on the morrow. For what is your life? It is even a vapour, that appeareth for a little time, and then vanisheth away.
    15  For that ye ought to say, If the Lord will, we shall live, and do this, or that."
    KIng Saul thought it was good enough to do the partial will of God in I Samuel 15. He said to Samuel in I Sam. 15:20-26, "And Saul said unto Samuel, Yea, I have obeyed the voice of the LORD, and have gone the way which the LORD sent me, and have brought Agag the king of Amalek, and have utterly destroyed the Amalekites.
    21  But the people took of the spoil, sheep and oxen, the chief of the things which should have been utterly destroyed, to sacrifice unto the LORD thy God in Gilgal.
    22  And Samuel said, Hath the LORD as great delight in burnt offerings and sacrifices, as in obeying the voice of the LORD? Behold, to obey is better than sacrifice, and to hearken than the fat of rams.
    23  For rebellion is as the sin of witchcraft, and stubbornness is as iniquity and idolatry. Because thou hast rejected the word of the LORD, he hath also rejected thee from being king.
    24  ¶And Saul said unto Samuel, I have sinned: for I have transgressed the commandment of the LORD, and thy words: because I feared the people, and obeyed their voice.
    25  Now therefore, I pray thee, pardon my sin, and turn again with me, that I may worship the LORD.
    26  And Samuel said unto Saul, I will not return with thee: for thou hast rejected the word of the LORD, and the LORD hath rejected thee from being king over Israel.

Nadab and Abihu were destroyed because they did it there way. They rejected the commands of God and were devoured by fire from heaven. Leviticus 10:1-5.
    Which command of God may a man not obey and be saved? How do you know?

3. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

You need a (BIK) button, Frank. (BIK) means "Boy I'M Konfused" Looking at your post above shows how confused you must be about salvation.

"If one dies after two years has passed without believing, is he saved?"
    "Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and thou shalt be saved" (Acts 16:31).
    Salvation is by faith (belief), and by faith alone, not by baptism. Where is your logic here? You are "Konfused!"

If one dies two years after he has believed, but he has not repented of his sins is he saved? How do you know?
    1. Repentance comes with belief. When one believes on the Lord, he repents of his old way of living. Otherwise he would not be believing that Jesus Christ is Lord. It is an impossibility.
    2. It is impossible, however, for anyone to repent of your sins (literally). You have a wrong view of repentance. Can a man of your age repent of all your sins? Think of it. Can you remember every sin that you have ever committed in your life. Can you list them all to the Lord individually, and repent of each one of them? That is what is meant to repent of your sins. It is impossible for man to do that. He is to repent from his old way of living, and repent unto God. Repentance is a change of mind. I repent when I have had a change of mind toward my old way of living and a change of mind unto God's way of living.

What about the same scenario and confession? Is he saved without it? How do you know?
    "If thou shalt confess with thy mouth, the Lord Jesus, and believe in thy heart that God has raised Him from the dead, thou shalt be saved."
    One who believes will confess. Confession is simply an outward expression of belief. It is the belief, of course that saves. We are saved by faith (the act of believing).
    DHK

4. Sherrie

Sherrie New Member

Wow! How would they know to get baptized. By Church of Christ person's word only?

Sherrie

5. Frank

Frank New Member

DHK:

The words repent, belief, confess, baptize all are different in meaning. In John 12:42,43 the Bible says, " ¶Nevertheless among the chief rulers also many believed on him; but because of the Pharisees they did not confess him, lest they should be put out of the synagogue:
    43  For they loved the praise of men more than the praise of God.

Notice, CONFESSION did not come by their BELIEF.

In James 2:19-21, the Bible says, "  Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble.
    20  But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead?
    21  Was not Abraham our father justified by works, when he had offered Isaac his son upon the altar?"

Notice, just because devils BELIEVE does not cease to make them devils. In other words, there BELIEF did not lead to REPENTANCE.

By the way, Those who BELIEVE are baptized. Acts 18:8;12;36-39;16:30-33. You connect belief with repentance and confession, but will not do as the Bible says and connects belief with baptism for the remission of sins. Acts 2:38. You are consistently inconsistent in your doctrine and false, too. The Bible teaches so!

Notice Abraham got it right! vs. 21.

DHK,one who proves nothing proves to much!
    You should get a IDNKTWCOGAS button! It stands for I DO NOT KNOW THE WHOLE COUNSEL OF GOD AND SALVATION.

You prove this every time you post such falsehoods.

6. Frank

Frank New Member

DHK:
    I asked which command may you disobey and be saved? And, How do you know? Again, no scriptural answer. Are the questions to hard?

I asked the same about repentance and confession. And, How do you know? Again, unsubstantiated opinion. Or,you take one scripture and fail to acknowledge synechdoche ( a part representing the whole or the whole for it's parts).

You connect belief and repentance in your statement but do not provide evidence for it. This is a consistent pattern of yours, NO EVIDENCE, NO HARMONY. You separate the context of scripture in Acts 16. Why? The jailer was baptized in verse 33. You failed to read that part.

Yor statement that it is imposible to repent of all your sins is FALSE. Which sin mayI not repent of and be saved? And, how do you know? The Bible says in I John 5:17, All unrigteousness is sin and there is not a sin unot death. You proclaim falsely. Repentance requires fruits of that which was tarnished or damaged. SEE Acts 19:17-19. Confession and Repentance of the sin of idolatry and witchcraft.

Finally,one who believes will repent,confess and be baptized for unto the remission of sins. The Bible says so! Acts 2:38, Mark 16:16,Luke 13:3, Romans 10:10, Mat. 10:32.

7. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

By your own words you condemn yourself. You tell me; answer your own question. What sin can you not repent of and be saved. Every sin; any sin, will condemn you to Hell. Only Christ sacrifice, by the grace of God, can save you. Not baptism, works done by obedience, cannot merit eternal life. Only faith in his sacrifice on the cross can save you. Your works are as filthy rags. God doesn't want them. There is one of the Ten Commandments that you cannot keep. You sin; and you sin every day. Your sin condemns you to Hell, and no matter how much good you will do, your sin has still condemned you to Hell. Not even baptism can save you from the penalty of sin. Only faith in the shed blood of Christ can save you.
    DHK

8. Frank

Frank New Member

DHK:
    Repentance, according to the Bible, mandates a change of mind and conduct. It is something the indivdual must do. Jesus said this was the case in Luke 13:3. He said, " I tell YE nay but except YE repent YE shall all likewie perish. Three times he uses a singular pronoun to command an individual action. You have said it is impossible. However, Jesus said it is essential. Your arguement is with the Bible.
    Provide one scripture that teaches a man may not repent of all his sins and be saved. You can search today, tomorrow and for a thousand years with the mind of Einstein and you will not find that anywhere in the Bible. The Bible by declarative statement and implication teaches a man must repent of all his sins. I John 5:17 states, " all unrighteousness is sins and there is not a sin unto death." Jesus makes it plain that one is only forgiven of sins when he repents. Luke 17:3,4 says, "Take heed to yourselves: If thy brother trespass against thee, rebuke him; and if he repent, forgive him.
    4  And if he trespass against thee seven times in a day, and seven times in a day turn again to thee, saying, I repent; thou shalt forgive him.
    Forgiveness is CONDITIONED upon repentance. Jesus said so. Repentance requires action. Jesus said so. In Rev. 2:5, the Bible says,"Remember therefore from whence thou art fallen, and repent, and do the first works; or else I will come unto thee quickly, and will remove thy candlestick out of his place, except thou repent."

The Bible teaches that forgiveness is Conditioned upon the personal change of mind. Luke 17:3,4.. Luke 13;3,5. Repentance requires action. Mat. 3:8, Rev. 2:5. repentance requires one to confess his sins to the one he has offended. Luke 17:3,4, Mat. 18:22. In Mat. 21:28-32, the Bible says, "¶But what think ye? A certain man had two sons; and he came to the first, and said, Son, go work to day in my vineyard.
    29  He answered and said, I will not: but afterward he repented, and went.
    30  And he came to the second, and said likewise. And he answered and said, I go, sir: and went not.
    31  Whether of them twain did the will of his father? They say unto him, The first. Jesus saith unto them, Verily I say unto you, That the publicans and the harlots go into the kingdom of God before you.
    32  For John came unto you in the way of righteousness, and ye believed him not: but the publicans and the harlots believed him: and ye, when ye had seen it, repented not afterward, that ye might believe him.

The one who does the will of God changes his mind and actions toward the one he sins against. The son who repented and went did the will of his father. He changed his mind and actions toward his father, the party he had sinned against.This is repentance according to the word of God.

9. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>