1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Lawmaker Apologizes To Marines For Remarks

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by carpro, Aug 18, 2006.

1. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/08/14/AR2006081401003_pf.html

Lawmaker Apologizes To Marines For Remarks

By Josh White
    Washington Post Staff Writer
    Tuesday, August 15, 2006; A03

A Republican congressman apologized yesterday to the Marines under investigation in the killings of two dozen civilians in Haditha, Iraq, last November, saying that statements he made about the case were taken out of context and that he did not mean to imply the Marines were guilty of wrongdoing.

Rep. John Kline (R-Minn.) issued the apology as part of an agreement with lawyers for Marine Staff Sgt. Frank D. Wuterich, who alleged that Kline had damaged Wuterich's reputation.

SNIP

"As a retired Colonel in the U.S. Marines, I am especially proud of the sacrifices our men and women make day in and day out, especially in combat situations," Kline wrote. "And as a Marine officer, I would never want to publicly insinuate, implicitly or explicitly, that I have prejudged what took place that day on the battlefield or afterwards."

2. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Funny how when one's big mouth gets one into a bad light, one claims to have been quoted "out of context".

3. The Galatian

The Galatian New Member

Hard to find a politician who will stand up and take responsibility for himself. Kline is unfortunately the norm, not the exception.

4. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

It would be hard for Murtha to claim he was quoted out of context concerning his cold blooded killer remark.

I doubt we'll hear from him concerning his attacks on the Marines involved in the Haditha action. He's dug his hole far too deep. But, he could take lessons from Kline on the responsibilities of retired Marine officers.

Kline said: "And as a Marine officer, I would never want to publicly insinuate, implicitly or explicitly, that I have prejudged what took place that day on the battlefield or afterwards."

5. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

As a leader of men and women (former NCO), I agree with his assessment of our duty to respond respectfully to our comrades in arms as they live in harms way.