1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Lawson Rebukes Osteen

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Ruiz, Jul 27, 2010.

1. Ruiz

Ruiz New Member

2. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

I'm still waiting for Mr. Osteen to preach the gospel, not motivational prosperity talks with a little scripture interspersed.

3. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

You are just like my wife, who is from Ky, you didn't listen. He said he didn't know. Just giving you a hard time, I live with my wife so I won't give her a hard time.

But what a shame, "I don't know."

4. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    While he "does not know" he also holds up the "sincerity" of Muslims and Hindu's in their love for their god. And he believes they love the same God we love. He is right...he doesn't know. He needs to sit down until he does know

1Jn 5:13 I write these things to you who believe in the name of the Son of God that you may know that you have eternal life.

He needs our prayer more than anything else. Condemn his current message and pray that God will make a change. May I never fall into preaching that godless message.

#4 Revmitchell, Jul 27, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 27, 2010
  5. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

Of course, with all the Osteen talk, this Lawson fella isn't really preaching the gospel, either.

6. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Tom, Dear Mr. Olsteen can always lean on his side job, Creating quotes for fortune cookies.

7. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sounds to me like the context of his message was believing in Christ. But then a pastors role is much more than that.

Mat 7:15 Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves.

2Ti 3:16 All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness,
    2Ti 3:17 that the man of God may be competent, equipped for every good work.
    2Ti 4:1 I charge you in the presence of God and of Christ Jesus, who is to judge the living and the dead, and by his appearing and his kingdom:
    2Ti 4:2 preach the word; be ready in season and out of season; reprove, rebuke, and exhort, with complete patience and teaching.
    2Ti 4:3 For the time is coming when people will not endure sound teaching, but having itching ears they will accumulate for themselves teachers to suit their own passions,
    2Ti 4:4 and will turn away from listening to the truth and wander off into myths.

But then comments like yours are usually made in defense of these myths that are taught in churches like Osteens.

And by the way Osteen doesn't preach the gospel ever. And I quote:

"From now on sin, hell, and satan are no longer on the menu at this church. from now on we will only talk about the goodness of God."

“Listen; don’t dangle people over the fires of hell. Lisa and I always kid about you know we’re going to dangle them over the fires of hell. Listen, that doesn’t draw people to God. They know what kind of life they live. They know how bad they’ve lived. What you’ve got to do is talk about the goodness of God. Listen, it’s the goodness of God that brings people to repentance. It’s the goodness of God. One thing I always appreciated about my dad is that he instilled into us a good vision of who God was. We learned about a good God.”

That ain't no gospel anywhere.

#7 Revmitchell, Jul 27, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 27, 2010
  8. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm in NJ as we speak & I can feel the ground tremors from long dead Jonathan Edwards, buried in Princeton as Ole Jon is spinning in his grave!

9. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

Dude, I am fully, solidly evangelical. I grew up in Houston, so I know the history of that place. I have a theology degree from Wheaton College. There is no way, not in a million years, that I would defend Osteen as a pastor, teacher, preacher or theologian.

But the bashing becomes counterproductive at a certain point.

10. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Oh, Bob, you are right. My post was sort of a non-sequitur. I should have said that I have watch JO TV program over the years, and in all that time, I have never heard him preach a gospel sermon. He always attaches the Sinner's Prayer at the end, sort of as an afterthought. Nothing in his sermons has ever set the stage for an appeal to the lost. Nothing about sin. Nothing about repentance. Nothing about saving faith. Just say these words and "we believe you got saved."

I heard his mother say one time he doesn't like to call people sinners. He only wants to preach positive stuff.

It's prosperity gospel lite, if anything.

11. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If that is your standard (the Osteen was being bashed) then you need to hold yourself to the same standard even about Lawson. But then none of this is what you originally posted about nor is it what I responded to. Is it?

There is no way that you can say that he(Lawson) wasn't preaching the gospel. And in fact if you listen closely there is every indication at the beginning that he was. Maybe your claim of Osteen bashing should have been made originally instead of you know....bashing Lawson (according to your standard).

12. RAdam

RAdam New Member

I'll never get why Christians take up for Osteen. The guy is a false teacher who preaches doctrines of devils to people. We were warned in the bible about people like him. We don't need to take up for him, we need to expose the false teaching he does by pointing out where it is at odds with the bible. If someone is doing that, they are doing what they are supposed to.

Paul said that we shepherds, put in a position of overseeing the flock, need to watch dilligently because wolves are going to try to enter in and devour the sheep. They are going to seduce God's little ones and try to lead them away from the truth unto fables. We are commanded to watch for these false teachers and protect the flock! They are spreading the lies of the devil. We are commanded to expose them! We are commanded to protect the sheep!

13. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

Who was taking up for Osteen? It certainly wasn't me.

14. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

Didn't "bash" him. And I'm not at a pulpit.

15. SolaSaint

SolaSaint Well-Known Member

We have been visiting several churches over the past 2-3 years and I have found that many in the church are drawn to Osteen. I even heard one SBC deacon say he thought Joel was the next Billy Graham. I feel it is an indication of the poor shape of the church body. Years of entertainment and amusement from the pulpit instead of preachers proclaiming the gospel of Christ as presented in scripture, has led many Christians to follow anyone who will tickle their ears. Paul warned Timothy of this and we are seeing it today in Osteen, "For the time is coming when people will not endure sound teaching, but having itching ears they will accumulate for themselves teachers to suit their own passions, and will turn away from listening to the truth and wander off into myths." Tim 4:3-4.

The church needs to better equip the saints instead of embrassing every charasmatic prosperity preacher. A Christian grounded in the word would figure out the sham Osteen is in a heart beat, but that isn't going on for the most part. If the church body cannot discern the falseness of Osteen, then how much more has slipped into the church that is harder to discern. The church is in big trouble. I find more wrong with the church than with pointing a finger at Osteen (I don't endorse him at all ).

16. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well there is a whole lot of folks in Texas buying his BS like its 1/2 off Retail....evidence the full seating weekly. Must be the Methodists I'm thinkin.

17. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    So true, so very true :tear:
    May this be a wake up call for Bible believing Christians.

18. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Unfortunately, even in a church with solid teaching, you'll get newer people in who just don't "get" it. Just yesterday after VBS, some of my kitchen staff was meeting for a Bible study afterwards. I said "How nice!" and asked what study they were doing. Joyce Meyer. OY!! These are some great women who I guess just don't quite see what some of what Joyce is saying is not good (Although maybe some of her studies are OK? I've never looked into each and every one.). So I think it IS important to, in the context of the message, sometimes call a spade a spade.

19. Jedi Knight

Jedi Knight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I wish for all the "goodness of God" messages there would be at least once a month a message "SINNERS IN THE HANDS OF AN ANGRY GOD"....to balance the act! lol

#19 Jedi Knight, Jul 28, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 28, 2010
  20. Darrenss1

Darrenss1 New Member

I was streaming a christian radio program just recently off the net and it just so happened to be Joel Osteen being interviewed by a more fundamental bible believing host. I wish I could remember the name of the guy because it was an excellent interview and really cleared things up for me concern Osteen. He was questioned on his interview with King and also questioned about giving a "positive only" messge. Osteen actually said he is not called to speak anything negative only positive uplifting sermons. Is it no wonder he is so popular with a world class song service and song leader to match.

Osteen can't even say anything about a person that does not believe in Jesus or has rejected the gospel completely. He also uses an over the top approach to "world religions" as if all paths lead to the same heaven and same God. Just makes me think what the heck is going on these days....!!

Darren