1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Laying on hands for healing

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Salty, Nov 13, 2020.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    What are you thoughts about laying on hands for healing.

Not from the point of view that an individual has the power to actually heal, but
    rather as to confer a blessing.

Please use Scripture to back up your belief.

A statement that begins "my pastor says ...." will immediately be dis-guarded.
    This is what your have studied and believe.

So, should we participate in such a ceremony?
    If so, what should be done prior to such a service?

Baptist Beliefs on Laying on of Hands | Synonym

21 Bible verses about Laying On Hands To Heal

• Like Like x 1
  2. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Bible stated that they laid hands on persons to confer the blessing of ministry and being send forth in name of Jesus, but not so much for healing!

3. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    James 5 disagrees with you!

• Like Like x 3
  4. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
  5. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just the Elders were to do that, not all of them!

6. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Your post #2 is about prophets, apostles, and elders as well. I hope one day you realize how badly you compartmentalize Scripture.

7. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    James 5 does not specifically mention laying of on hands in regard to praying for the sick, but it is not necessarily excluded, in that they might lay hands on the person being prayed for. Anointing with oil is specifically mentioned.
    I have attended one such service, conducted for a friend in another church, but originally from our church and a close family member of some of our church members. It was conducted by her pastor, with anointing with oil, and (if I remember correctly) those who chose to do so laid hands on and prayed for her. It seems to me, based on James 5, that the laying on of hands and anointing with oil are symbolic rites, and that it is God who answers our prayers who heals the sick.
    An interesting thing about the General Six-Principle Baptists mentioned in this article -- they believed in laying on of hands after an individual was baptized, and that both laying on of hands and baptism were prerequisite to the Lord's supper. Even the Philadelphia Baptist Association believed this at one time (they were Particular Six-Principle Baptists, though never called as such, so far as I know), but the practice fell into disuse among them. They originally had held it strongly enough to add an article about it to the 1689 London Confession:

8. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Interesting. I hold the principles to be Seven and being the pricniples of the milk of the word. The first being "the principles of the doctrine of Christ." 2 John 1:9. The following six are not 2 John 1:9. But what they say they are.

9. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'll admit right up front I have always been suspicious of faith healers. Although the Bible records the apostles healing people.
    1Ti_4:14 Neglect not the gift that is in thee, which was given thee by prophecy, with the laying on of the hands of the presbytery.
    Obviously this gift of power was given by the Lord to certain individuals/
    A man named simon offered to but this gift from Peter in'
    Act_8:18 And when Simon saw that through laying on of the apostles' hands the Holy Ghost was given, he offered them money,
    it is also mentioned in
    Heb_6:2 Of the doctrine of baptisms, and of laying on of hands, and of resurrection of the dead, and of eternal judgment.
    Im not able to find a verse for Paul raising the dead at the moment but he may have raised someone I'll keep looking for this one
    MB
    PS
    Our church prays for the sick every Wednesday night. Not only this there has been answered prayer for the sick.Yet we did not heal anyone we just agreed together for the healing.

10. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The historic U.S. body called General Six-Principle Baptists derived their name from Hebrews 6:1-2. The primary thing that distinguished them from other General Baptists was that they held the laying-on of hands after baptism as mandatory, and prerequisite to the Lord's supper. There is a new group that has adopted the General Six-Principle Baptist name, but they are not historically connected to the original group.

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    God still can and does heal today, but none gifted by him to do such as Apostles were!

12. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    None that I know of although this does not mean it is impossible. People like Benny Hinn and Oral Roberts are fake healers in my opinion.
    MB

13. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Would say that none of the so called faith healers can document medically true healings!

14. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Folks - we are geeting off the OP - I do not care about these other so called faith healers.
    Here is the Original question

15. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The problem with that is there are some who have documented it It's so easy to deceive people even doctors. When faith healers can't heal they most always blame the one asking for healing claiming they have a lack of faith.
    Faith can heal the Bible tells of those who are healed by faith. Though when men boast of it they take all the credit. If it is real it has nothing to do with man but God only.
    MB

16. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Three passages come to mind.
    Mark 16:18, ". . . they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover."
    Acts of the Apostles 28:8, "And it came to pass, that the father of Publius lay sick of a fever and of a bloody flux: to whom Paul entered in, and prayed, and laid his hands on him, and healed him."
    So this is a matter of our historical record.
    And the last living Apostle is understood to be John.
    Ephesians 2:19-22, "Now therefore ye are no more strangers and foreigners, but fellowcitizens with the saints, and of the household of God; And are built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ himself being the chief corner stone; In whom all the building fitly framed together groweth unto an holy temple in the Lord: In whom ye also are builded together for an habitation of God through the Spirit."

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  17. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jesus and His Apostles did it for free, not so much today!

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. atpollard

atpollard Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think that it is a good thing.

[Matthew 18:19-20 NASB] 19 "Again I say to you, that if two of you agree on earth about anything that they may ask, it shall be done for them by My Father who is in heaven. 20 "For where two or three have gathered together in My name, I am there in their midst."

• Useful Useful x 1
  19. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree but IMO a few have tried to use this verse to manipulate God. Everything still must be done according to His will and purpose. A preacher during the 50's and 60's Would command God to heal people on TV. These same verses were repeated many times before he would do his healing thing. I was just a kid at the time but even I knew he was as false as they come.
    MB

20. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    IMHO - A very powerful statement!

• Agree Agree x 1