1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Layoffs at SWBTS

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Jimmy C, May 22, 2008.

1. Jimmy C

Jimmy C New Member

I heard today that there have been several folks at SWBTS have been laid off, including Paul Greitz a tenured profess or history and several Library staff members

2. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Breaks my heart. Absolutely breaks my heart.

Dr. Gritz is one of the best history profs they have there. At one time (not too long ago) SWBTS boasted one of the finest Baptist history departments in the US. Names like MacBeth, Gritz, Bullock, Spivey, Baker and Estep adorned office doors and students knew they would be receiving a world class history education. The times have certainly changed.

I guess this should also forestall the efforts to build the great temple in the back of the campus.

How can you "lay off" a fully tenured professor?

3. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jimmy C Response

Hello Bro. Jimmy,

I do not think that you and I have talked before on the BB? I am glad to make your acquaintance and hope to have many fruitful and profitable discussions together.

I was wondering, that is why I quoted you above, if you would mind telling us where you got your information please?

Hearsay is a terrible thing and can cause irreparable damage to people and schools and such. And please do not mistake my post or interpret the tone to be something that it is not. This is just a natural query b/c I understood the school was doing well on all levels.:thumbs:

If you could supply this for this discussion I would greatly appreciate it.

"That is all!"

4. Jimmy C

Jimmy C New Member

From a direct source - I have friends who are on faculty at SWBTS.

I have read on blogs - and cannot verigy the accuracy of, that SWBTS has sent out fund raising letters that essentially state that the seminary needs funds to keep the lights on. Check out Baptistlife.org

5. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I received one of those letters yesterday, so I can confirm that story. I hadn't heard about Gritz yet... That's very unfortunate. He and his family are members of our congregation.

I'm sure I will hear about I'd very soon through other members of our congregation.

6. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think you mean baptistlife.com. ;)

7. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I wonder how they managed to spend all of their signing bonus money for the natural gas drilling going on in Fort Worth?

Link to SWBTS press release

The signing bonus rates are generally between $20,000 and $25,000 per acre for those who have large tracts of land (or negotiate as a group). Since the seminary has at least 200 acres, according to my calculations, the seminary should have easily netted between $4-5 million for a signing bonus back in 2006. And since they signed earlier than most, the wells should already be drilled and pumping gas by this time and they should be receiving substantial royalties by now (about $300,000/month is average around here for 100% mineral rights on 200 acres).

Makes you wonder if they completely bungled the negotiations (which is certainly possible, given the lack of business expertise among the trustees and leadership) or if donations have so completely dried up that they are barely surviving on gas revenue alone.

Or maybe all of the gas revenue money is going to the fund for the new chapel instead of educational needs.

8. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Southwestern was once the finest of seminaries, training thousands upon thousands of people for a lifetime of ministry. Now it is hardly even a shell of what it used to be. It is run by a demigod who thinks he knows what is best for everyone in every situation. The trustees rolled over for Pope Paige to come to Texas, do whatever you want, now they are reaping a whirlwind. Enrollment is down (even if they juggle the numbers to make it look different), finances are down, great faculty has left in droves and now they are sending out letters literally asking "Help us keep the lights on".

Pope Paige needs to be fired if Southwestern hopes regain any of the ground they have surrendered in the last 15 years.

9. Bluefalcon

Bluefalcon Member

I like Paige Patterson. The few times I got to speak with him he was very kind, gracious and humble.

"And withal they learn to be idle, wandering about [from blog to blog]; and not only idle, but tattlers also and busybodies, speaking things which they ought not." Such kind of person is the one I'm wary of, certainly not Paige Patterson from everything I know about him.

But, as a wise man said, never defend yourself; your enemies won't believe it and your friends don't need it. I'm glad Paige doesn't defend himself from all these garbage attacks. I hope I would only be so gracious.

10. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Pope Paige not engaging in attacks...what planet are you from!? Pope Paige is the king of attacks and guilt by association tactics. He used them in great abundance to strong arm the SBC into believing the "liberals where coming, the liberals where coming". The last thing Pope Paige has been is gracious!

11. Jimmy C

Jimmy C New Member

Bluefalcon

I have also met Dr Patterson a time or two - in person he was seemingly a very nice guy, I dont like what he has done behind the scenes however.

If you are as big a fan as you say you are, it is probably time to pony up some cold hard cash so that SWBTS can keep the lights on - and perhaps bring back some of the staff...

12. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Any organization is as good as its people.

The lack of integrity started with the trustees years ago. The chairman of the trustees was caught shacking up with ladies in his church. We know that the trustees lied to the press when Dilday was fired. So anything that follows from them is certain to be nothing more than a political machine with not much integrity. They are many of the same people who hired Patterson. How would any person of integrity want to be asssociated with such men.

The SBC has not faced the music that people are leaving the SBC but rather they paint a rosy picture of life that is not true.

Everyone of the SBC leaders should go and men of integrity should be brought in to bring things around. People of integrity will give every reason why people should trust them not the other way around. God's work is not about manipulation and image building.

13. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

The link pointed out, "Seminary President Paige Patterson announced to trustees that Fort Worth native and Austin-based businessman Harold E. Riley and his wife, Dottie, have pledged $16 million to build a 3,500-seat chapel on the Fort Worth campus. It is one of the largest single gifts from individuals to the seminary in its 98-year history."

14. greek geek

greek geek New Member

According to my sources there were some people layed off but Greitz was not one of them. As far as I've heard it's only staff - not faculty who have been let go.

15. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I am told that in May they graduated 232 students. At the height of SWBTS history in the late 80s they were graduating about 700 in the May graduation.
    [FONT=&quot]

[/FONT]

#15 gb93433, May 30, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: May 30, 2008
  16. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

this would make more sense if it is true. While I was at SWBTS, during the transition between two administrations, all the faculty had their personal assistants pulled, they had to share assistants, long distance phone calls were charged to the faculty (well except the executive leadership), and a host of other money saving opportunities were put in place. It is a constant process lately at SWBTS.

17. Rhetorician

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Rhetorician Talks to Rhetorician

In the FWIW file:

I thought I had mentioned earlier that "hearsay" has repercussions?!:cool:

Well, go figure!! (Insert sarcasm here:laugh: !).

"That is all!"

18. Jimmy C

Jimmy C New Member

I cannot reveal the name of the individual who told me that Grtiz was one of the ones laid off, but I stand by my statement - lets see if he announces his "retirement" soon, or if he is on the faculty at the beginning of the next academic year

19. greek geek

greek geek New Member

Not to disparage your source - but Gritz has not been fired. I have talked to someone who has personally talked to Gritz twice and asked him point blank if he had been fired. He has not. He still has his teaching job and has not resigned or retired.

20. Rhetorician

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Greek Geek Et Al Response

To all who have an "ear to hear!"

This whole dialog just "shows to go ya'" what I said earlier! Hearsay is hearsay, and when you send it on down the path, then you (generic "you") are very close to being a gossip! Are WE not?!:thumbs:

FWIW!:laugh:

"That is all!"