1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Lazarus - Come Forth

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Salty, Mar 31, 2021.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    In John 11 - Jesus raised Lazarus from the dead.
    Specifically, Jesus said "Lazarus - Come Forth"

I had a preacher once (who attended Tenn Temple) tell us that
    if Jesus had simply said "Come Forth" every one in the in the tombs
    would have come forth.

Open for discussion!

2. atpollard

atpollard Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good thing only one person in all of recorded history was named Lazarus or that could have been embarrassing for God. ;)

"... according to His purpose who works all things after the counsel of His will" [Ephesians 1:11]

• Like Like x 1
  3. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have heard preachers say that. Sounds good in the heat of the moment. Biblically, Jesus has the power to call everyone forth from the graves, can and will do so (John 5:28-29). However, Jesus can say whatever he wants, to raise from the grave anyone he wants, individually or generally (Psalm 115:3; Psalm 135:6). I do not think if Jesus had just said "come forth" at Lazarus's tomb, he would in a few seconds have had to look around and say, "Oops, I didn't mean all y'all."

• Like Like x 2
  4. RighteousnessTemperance&

RighteousnessTemperance& Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    If it weren’t for “preacher’s license,” every sermon would need serious editing, and would surely be much more boring. Best to cut others some slack.

The real take-home point here is that there will come a day when Jesus will call forth a host he calls his own to be with him forever. It wasn’t that day and may not be today or even tomorrow, but it’s coming—He’s coming!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. timtofly

timtofly Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jesus said that day already came.

"Yes, indeed! I tell you that there is coming a time — in fact, it’s already here — when the dead will hear the voice of the Son of God, and those who listen will come to life.

I am sure many in the grave still opted to not listen, and firmly remained in sheol, that particular day. Lazarus was listening.