1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Lazarus Effect

Discussion in '2006 Archive' started by Magnetic Poles, Mar 9, 2006.

1. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

When a species thought to be extinct and known only through fossil evidence, is found living, scientists call it "The Lazarus Effect".

Much like the coelacanth, a remarkable find is the recent discovery that a squirrel-like rodent thought extinct for 11-million years is found to have members still be drawing breath.

Sounds like more strong evidence for an old earth. Even if you reject old-earth cosmology, it is still a remarkable thing...a species thought to be long gone is found alive. Maybe a velociraptor will end up being found somewhere! [​IMG]

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11746910/

2. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

what, what, how can that be, I could have sworn Moses rode a dinasour across the Jordan. [​IMG]

3. gtbuzzarp

gtbuzzarp New Member

That would be too cool..well maybe not for the ones who discover them! :D

Read about this earlier today, very interesting find indeed. Have a good weekend.

4. The Galatian

The Galatian New Member

This rodent is not the same species, but rather is from a family of rodents thought to have gone extinct millions of years ago.

It's remarkable to see a mammal as such, because they tend to be larger, and more easy to find.

Like the modern coelacanth, this rodent can tell us a lot about ancient animals, even if it's evolved a bit since that time.

5. Bob Farnaby

Bob Farnaby Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Sounds like more strong evidence for an old earth. "

Funny, I'd have thought just the opposite ...

6. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think the question would next be : how reliable and accurate are the methods for dating a find ?

7. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

saturneptune???? Ummmmmmmmmm----neither Moses nor the dinasour crossed the Jordan

8. donnA

donnA Active Member

How can finding a thought to be extinct species be evidence for an old earth?

9. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It isn't Donna. Notably, if similar fossil species are found that have a living cousin evolutionists will say "Aha" proof of common descent. If species are discovered virtually unchanged from ancestors that supposedly lived 225 million years ago like the Tuatara... then they say "Aha" proof for evolution.

That is why it is seldom if ever accurate to say that the evidence "supports" evolution. Evolution accommodates the evidence with naturalistic explanations... that's much different than "proof" or "support".

10. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    saturneptune???? Ummmmmmmmmm----neither Moses nor the dinasour crossed the Jordan </font>[/QUOTE]What does that matter since Genesis is unreliable according to those who accept evolution's version of creation? :rolleyes:

If Genesis is an unreliable fairy tale... maybe God fibbed about Moses not being allowed to cross over Jordan too. Maybe that whole thing about telling him directly that he couldn't go over since he struck the rock was an allegory to express some greater truth but in reality... isn't really true.

I mean what is more incredible that Moses would meet God face to face and hear His voice or that God really meant it when He said "evening and morning" were a day? Maybe God lied to Moses when they spent time talking, huh? Maybe He intentionally gave Moses a false account that we read in Genesis 1-11?

Incredible to me that professing Christians would put more faith in the explanations provided by those who presuppose that creation occurred without God than they do in the explanations provided by God Himself.

11. gtbuzzarp

gtbuzzarp New Member

I wondered that too. Hopefully there is more to the logic than:

A species thought to have been extinct for millions of years has been found.
    Therefore the earth is at least millions of years old.

Or,stated slightly differently:

P1: If a species believed to be extinct for 11 million years is found, then the earth is at least 11 millions years old.

P2: A species believed to have been extinct for 11 million years has been found.

C: Thefore the earth is at least 11 million years old.

And if the earth is at least 11 million years old, then young earth cosmology is not true.

This is a valid argument, but not necessarily sound.

At any rate, this was still an very interesting find.

12. The Galatian

The Galatian New Member

I don't think that a lazarus species says much at all about the age of the earth. It's always possible that it didn't evolve the differences between it and extinct species in that time, but existed earlier with no fossil record. Many species go extinct and leave no fossils.

13. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

All I know is that Genesis is 100% true because it is the Word of God. I do not understand it all, which is good since science was not one of my strong points anyhow.

Scott, you just keep on plugging away for America, and be sure and catch NBC nightly news tonight. (Dont forget your flag and Kate Smith CD)

14. donnA

donnA Active Member

I agree, I don't have to know w hole lot about science, all I need to know is God's word 100%.
    saturneptune, I'm think Lone Oak sounds fmailar, what county are you in?

15. Johnv

Johnv New Member

And I ask, what does that have to do with all the tea in China? All it means is that evidence for such a species existing after a certain point was lacking. The term and reasoning behind it neither contradict nor bolster a YEC position, nor do they contradict nor bolster a non-YEC position. But I have no doubt that a multitude of folks will spin that in whatever direction they have an interest in.

16. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Amen.
    Can you explain this slight (I assume) of me?

For my part:
    America is always a distant "also ran" to God with me.

I haven't watched network news in many years.

I don't have a flag and put far more honor in ideals and sacrifices than in symbols... which doesn't always endear me to friends who want laws passed to stop flag burning.

And... Who in the world is Kate Smith, what is she to me, and why would I want her CD?

17. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Donna,
    Lone Oak, which I live just outside, is in McCracken County about 7 miles south of Paducah towards Mayfield.

18. donnA

donnA Active Member

Ah ha! Been right past there many times. My son spent 6 months in a half way house in Paducah. We live in Hart co, 40 miles north of Bowling Green, just a few miles from Mammoth Cave.

19. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

My son graduated from Western KY in Bowling Green, and I have relatives in Scottsville.

20. UnchartedSpirit

UnchartedSpirit New Member

actually I think the ancient surviving species are counter to just macroevolution-since several ancient organisms, sea creatures, insects, and mammals like these have found much superior ways to support themselves compared to us 'newly evolved' species. I mean if bacteria and microorganisms are more capable of survival, why are they supposedly growing into something bigger?