1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Lazarus revived

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by pinoybaptist, Dec 2, 2005.

1. standingfirminChrist

BobRyan,

How can the soul sleep if the soul leaves the body upon death?

1 Kings 17:21 And he stretched himself upon the child three times, and cried unto the LORD, and said, O LORD my God, I pray thee, let this child's soul come into him again.
    1 Kings 17:22 And the LORD heard the voice of Elijah; and the soul of the child came into him again, and he revived.

I do not see a sleeping soul here.

2. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The soul/spirit "returns to God who gave it" Eccl 12:8. This is true for all mankind.

Christ is the one that said "LAZARUS SLEEPS" He did not say "Just Lazarus' body sleeps".

The body without the spirit is dead. The soul returns to God who gave it - but is not "doing anything" until it is placed into a body. That is why the Bible continually describes the SAINTS THEMSELVES as sleeping.

"the DEAD in Christ" are the ones who ARISE and are those who sleep.

3. Me4Him

Me4Him New Member

Re 6:9 And when he had opened the fifth seal, I saw under the altar the souls of them that were slain for the word of God, and for the testimony which they held:

10 And they cried with a loud voice, saying, How long, O Lord, holy and true, dost thou not judge and avenge our blood on them that dwell on the earth?

These "souls" are very much alive and "well aware" of events going on in the earth.

"Why" should our souls be any "different" than their souls.

Joh 11:26 And whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die. (Sleep) Believest thou this?

4. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The Bible symbols of souls "kept under the altar" in Rev 6 and the saints "all sitting in Abraham's lap" in Luke 16 are often brought up in this way.

They are symbols and parables - saints are not really being held under the altar in heaven nor are they all sitting in Abraham's lap.

Christ did not say “our friend’s body sleeps I go that I may wake IT”

The saints were the ones WHO sleep and they HAD bodies that were raised. It does not say "many bodies that slept were raised" - it is not the body but the person that sleeps and the person that HAS a body and it is not simply "a body walking into the holy city" but THE PERSON.

5. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Activity that stops in death –

Texts that are not debated to be apocalyptic symbols nor are they debated as being parables.

Don't simply settle for what "might" be extended to show something about being dead - show also the explicit texts that have as their primary purpose: showing what thought and what activity occurs for a dead person.

Matt 22:23-34 Christ insists that God is not the God of the dead.

Ps 115.17 praise to God - ceases at death
    Ps30:9 yet clearly when the living worship we "worship in spirit" John 4:24 -

Is 38:18 there is no thanks or praise to god given by those that are dead.

Ps 6:5 they have no memory of God

Ps 6:5for there is no mention of you in death; in sheol who will give you thanks?

Ps 146:4 they have no thought activity

Ecclesiasties 9:5-6 they have no activity

Those are examples of texts that in context intend to deal directly with what activity is available to you (the person) while dead.

6. Me4Him

Me4Him New Member

Saints killed during the trib were not "believers" in Jesus. Pre trib, else they would have been rapture, pre trib, the "lamb's marriage supper" is occuring "in heaven" during the trib, yet those killed during the trib are not at the "lamb's wedding" but "under the altar", the "WEDDING CELBRATION" they attend is in the "THIRD DAY" in "CANA". (MK)

PRIOR, to Jesus's death/resurrection, the wages of sin had not been paid, Saints didn't not "go to heaven", but "Abraham bosom".

Jew understood the Body/soul to remain "in the grave" until "resurrected", ya see, "Jesus/church" was a mystery not revealed to them, their understanding of scripture OMITS the NT period and goes directly to the events and "Second coming" of the Messiah. (First resurrection)

The "Rich man/lazarus" were very much alive and aware of their previous life on earth, even their "families".

Lu 16:23 And in hell he lift up his eyes, being in torments, and seeth Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom.

Lu 16:27 Then he said, I pray thee therefore, father, that thou wouldest send him to my father's house:

28 For I have five brethren; that he may testify unto them, lest they also come into this place of torment.

After Jesus paid the wages of sin, Souls now go directly to heaven, souls no more "sleep in the dust" (grave) until resurrected.

How you ever consider, that since Jesus "resurrected" the OT saint, all their "Grave" are now "EMPTY", even "Joseph's Tomb"???? :eek: :eek: :eek: :D [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Is that pure speculation?

As Matt 24 points out the gathering of the saints to Christ happens after "the great tribulation".

8. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    #1. Nobody was 'sitting in Abraham's lap" pre-cross. Luke 16 is a parable about Abraham being in charge of all the dead saints - a popular story among the Jews in that day.

#2. Elijah and Moses appeared to Christ in Matt 17 and the Bible says that Elijah was taken to heaven. No denying it.

The Bible does not say that "all the OT saints were resurrected".

9. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Luke 16 parable - Facts people DON't LIKE

10. Me4Him

Me4Him New Member

Is that pure speculation?

As Matt 24 points out the gathering of the saints to Christ happens after "the great tribulation".
    </font>[/QUOTE]Mr 13:24 But in those days, after that tribulation, the sun shall be darkened, and the moon shall not give her light,

25 And the stars of heaven shall fall, and the powers that are in heaven shall be shaken.

26 And then shall they see the Son of man coming in the clouds with great power and glory.

27 And then shall he send his angels, and shall gather together his elect from the four winds,

I guess the only thing we need to look for then is the "SUN" going dark, then we can say,

"The rapture is here".

Your "theory" denies the "twinkling of an eye" rapture, and places both the "Day of Christ" (rapture) and "Day of the Lord", (above verses) at the same time.

The AC isn't revealed until "AFTER" the "day of Christ".

Da 9:27 And he shall confirm the covenant with many for one week: (pre trib rapture)

Where does Daniel's verse fit into your "outline"???