1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Learning Hebrew a little earlier than expected...help!

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Havensdad, May 25, 2010.

1. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

Hunter, A. Vanlier. Biblical Hebrew Workbook: An Inductive Study for Beginners.

http://www.techsmith.com/camtasia.asp

It basically allows you to record the screen of your browser, and edit it. The older versions are free to download.

2. PilgrimPastor

PilgrimPastor Member
    Site Supporter

That's smart, not cheating! I "Get At" the languages with the tools I learned to use well in those courses and I think the tools courses at Liberty in the M.Div. program are sufficient to equip a pastor to "go deeper" with word studies etc.

BUT, I actually find my self doing a little bit less of than in preaching after taking those courses. Learning entry level Greek & Hebrew gave me a much deeper appreciation for the complexity of the languages and I tread a little bit more lightly than before.

Just throwing around a word study here and there seems seldom applicable in the pulpit. I will use BDB, Strong's, Young's, and the Complete Word Study tools in sermon prep to help me develop a stronger sense of the passage but I seldom bring the Greek exposition into the pulpit in a direct "In the Greek it says fashion..."

It strikes me that intro languages is a bit like intro psychology for a Pastor. It can be just enough to make you over confident and dangerous... :tonofbricks:

3. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Agreed on all counts and you make the best argument for language study being requisite for pulpit ministry. If nothing else, it teaches you what NOT to do.

I told a class once that my language knowledge can either lead to the goldmine or the landmine and the choice is mine! I wish I was fluent enough to read the Greek and Hebrew as well as I read English. But being able to intelligently understand, say, why the translations of Gal 2:16 differ is good enough for the pastor as an exegete

4. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

I just realized I was not clear in my post. I took Intro Greek at New Orleans Baptist; it transferred into my M.Div. at Liberty. But then I ALSO took the ICE exam for Greek Language tools (a different, less advanced class). So I basically got 6 credits, instead of just 3.

This is why I said "cheating." It is not cheating, of course; it is perfectly allowable. But I do see it as manipulating the system. The reason I am doing it, of course, is that I have unnaccredited courses (in Greek) which won't transfer; kinda my way of getting even! :tongue3:

5. PilgrimPastor

PilgrimPastor Member
    Site Supporter

Gotchya :thumbsup: Good stuff. I loved studying with Liberty. My doctoral studies with Tennessee Temple have been amazingly beneficial to the ministry as well. Have to tell myself to stop at some point. :laugh:

6. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Interesting. They're giving you credit for a class lower than an intro? That usually doesn't happen, especially in languages. When I was at SBTS, you could only get credit for one of the intros to Heb or Greek but not both. Back in the day of the AMdiv, you couldn't get credit for either (you had to have proficiency past both)

I'm surprised they offer the tools classes now. The "Greek for the Rest of us" and the Hebrew version kinda supplants those. I did hear they were using them at one point and that's a good idea.

7. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

To be fair, the "intro" class at NOBTS (at the graduate level) is actually what is a full year of Greek at most Universities.

Also, the "tools" classes are going to end up just filling free elective slots, since I will have a full 18 hours of Greek/Hebrew without them (Intro, Interm, and advanced)

#27 Havensdad, May 29, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 29, 2010
  8. TomVols

TomVols New Member

i hope you took no offense at my question. My undergrad language courses were every bit as hard as my seminary ones. Then again, I did do what is tantamount to a seminary education, just on the undergrad level. My alma mater is kinda famous for that.

9. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

Here is a site that I have found very helpful for vocabulary, both Greek and Hebrew. There are a number of ways to do it.

http://home.earthlink.net/~vikn/

Here is a another site that may be of help: http://www.laits.utexas.edu/hebrew/

BTW, I haven't found audio as helpful as visual, since we don't hear Hebrew, we read it. Hearing it generally won't help distinguish between, say, an aleph and a ayin, or a samech and a seen, or a tet and a tav.

For me, there's nothing like seeing it.

10. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

I have to disagree here. Both with Greek, as well as Hebrew, audio vocabulary has helped me more than anything. For one, Hebrew is not a dead language like Koine Greek; so learning to speak it is highly beneficial.

Second, if you understand the pronunciation of the letters, it really doesn't matter that two letters make the same sound. If I memorize "Av" (or Ab...Father) by listening to recordings, and then see the letters, and read "Av" I am going to know instantly what the word is.

I did almost all my vocabulary memorization in Greek, without ever looking at the actual words, only hearing them. I took the vocab tests, and never had a problem (100's on almost all of em).

11. TomVols

TomVols New Member

I can't decide if hearing it helped or not. I had audio cassettes for Hebrew and none for Greek. I guess it helped maybe a tad, but still, you're learning to read the language, so that's primary.