1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Leaven Question

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by richard n koustas, Jan 11, 2006.

1. richard n koustas

richard n koustas New Member

Matt 13:33
    Another parable spake he unto them; The kingdom of heaven is like unto leaven, which a woman took, and hid in three measures of meal, till the whole was leavened.

What is the leaven in this verse? i just read 5 commentators -- three say that the leaven is sin or evil, and this parable is actually about how evil (or sin) permeates the church. what say ye?

2. standingfirminChrist

In other Bible passages, leaven means sin or uncleanness.

Here, it means growth. This is speaking of the kingdom of heaven, so it cannot be representing sin. The Parable is indeed speaking of an increase, but not of sin

3. preacher

preacher New Member

Is the the earth included in the Kingdom of heaven, Or am I getting it mixed up with kingdom of God. If' I'm not then the leaven would be used in this instanct to signify sin also.

4. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    While leaven is often used as a metaphor for sin or evil because of its subtle and pervasive action, Jesus is using leaven here to describe the way the kingdom of heaven can also be subtle and pervasive.

5. richard n koustas

okay, how do you define "the kingdom of heaven" (in this verse)? and what is the significance, if any, of the 'woman'?

6. standingfirminChrist

7. preacher

preacher New Member

Well, like I've said before....my mind is still a little muddled, but I'm getting there!
    I'll try to study on it soon, cause for some reason that I can't proprely defend right now I'm thinking there are minor differences in the meaning of the two.
    I believe the use of the word "woman" in this case just goes with the teaching. Women generally fixed the meals. If He had said it this way..."a certain woman" then it might have had more meaning behind it, but I don't think so in this instance.

8. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Leaven, or yeast, was very important to the Israelis for thousands of years. Almost all their non-meat meals had leaven added to give it texture, fulness, flavor, and nutrition. Even today, our store-bought bread has had leaven added. Ever seen or eaten unleavened bread? It's little more than baked dough, with none of the sponge-like texture of regular leavened bread.

However, there some species of yeast that, while causing the visible effects of the 'correct' species of yeast, make the food unpalatable or sometimes even poisonous. The Israelis certainly knew this, and it was this type of 'leaven' to which Jesus referred. Remember, a little leaven leavens the whole lump. Each lump of bread dough has but a tiny amount of yeast added, but bread dough is the ideal environment for that species of yeast, and it reproduces extremely rapidly in each loaf made from the lump of dough, causing the loaf to expand & take on its texture. All the yeast is killed when the bread is baked, but its nutrition, especially iron, is retained.

Jesus is reminding His disciples that a little 'leaven' of the Pharisees, if one "allows it in", with all their legalistic requirements that are not found in Scripture, soon pervades the whole 'lump' of religious doctrines that ARE derived from Scripture...and that this Pharisaical 'leaven' is of the odious kind.

9. bjonson

bjonson New Member

I think the context must cause us to conclude that the leaven in this parable is not evil at all. This is the Kingdom, after all, and it did grow and is still growing in influence.

10. mnw

mnw New Member

I would be inclined to believe here the leaven is not meant to be evil. It just is used to demonstrate the growth of the Kingdom.

MNW

11. richard n koustas

will someone please define " kingdom of heaven" for me? Please?!? I think that this is important in determining whether or not the leaven=evil in this verse.

thanks.

12. Terry_Herrington

Terry_Herrington New Member

Bingo! [​IMG]

13. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    In both the NASB and KJV, the phrase "kingdom of heaven" is found in exactly 31 verses, all in the book of Matthew. 8 times in chapter 13 and 6 of those being other parables characterizing the kingdom of heaven including the leaven parable.

http://www.studylight.org/desk/?l=en&query=%22kingdom+of+heaven%22&section=0&translation=nas&oq=mt%252013&new=1&nb=mt&ng=13&ncc=13

[ January 12, 2006, 01:18 PM: Message edited by: Gold Dragon ]

14. preacher

preacher New Member

A simple way to put it if I undersatnd it right is the kingdom of heaven pertains to all nations, the kingdom of God to one nation...Israel, but Jesus told them that even the kingdom of God would be taken from them.

Mat 21:43 Therefore say I unto you, The kingdom of God shall be taken from you, and given to a nation bringing forth the fruits thereof.
    He was speaking directly to Israel when He stated this.
    This may not be the best anaolgy but the Trinity...Three seperate persons, that are One. Kingdom of Heaven, Kingdom of God, two separate truths (places?) but tied together into one. Also like the New Earth & New Jerusalem. One for the Church, or Bride...the other for God's people, Israel.