1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Leaving Baptist in Your Church Name Won't Scare People Away

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Revmitchell, Jun 8, 2015.

1. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Last year, the National Association of Evangelicals asked its members if they included denominational affiliation in the name of their church. Well over half—63 percent—said they did not.
    It’s a tricky line to walk. Naming your denomination may come across as more “rigid” or “old-fashioned,” but leaving the name out can appear sneaky or unstable, according to a 2013 Grey Matter Research study.
    Either way, a church’s name isn’t going to drastically change the way the public perceives it, according to a new study from the Nashville-based LifeWay Research.
    Among LifeWay's findings: About half of Americans view denominational names favorably, while the other half feel either negatively or indifferently.
    “It would depend on who you’re trying to reach,” said Scott McConnell, vice president of LifeWay Research. “But some denominational groups have as much ‘brand equity’ as nondenominational churches, which have been growing the fastest.”
    Churches began dropping denominations from their names in the 1980s, says Ed Stetzer, the executive director of LifeWay Research.
    “I’ve started multiple churches, none of which had a denomination in the name,” he said. “It wasn’t even a conversation. It was just an assumption that we’re trying to reach unchurched people so we don’t want to have additional barriers.”

http://www.christianitytoday.com/gl...-your-church-name-wont-scare-people-away.html

2. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Interesting, in that more than 60% had a favorable perception of "Baptist", but less than half viewed "Southern Baptist" favorably.

3. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I don't think "Baptist" in our name was too much of a problem other than the fact that I've seen many Catholics (the largest portion of our population) really do have a hesitancy to enter a Baptist church but not so much other churches.

We changed our name because there was a church with almost an identical name that is a very KJVO/skirts only kind of church and we didn't want people getting us confused so we went with "Christian Church" instead of "Baptist Church".

4. wpe3bql

wpe3bql Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I've been told that "Baptist" Bro. Charles H. Spurgeon (Saved in a Methodist church meeting, BTW.) pastored at New Park Street and at Metropolitan Tabernacle.

Is there a word missing in both of those churches?

Then too, I've passed by some church signs (a couple were even [Brace yourselves!] ELECTRIFIED!) that took great pains to describe that church's entire Statement of Faith on its sign.

I'm absolutely positive that the "sound" churches referred to in the NT had "Baptist" in their name (Maybe that word was in Koine Greek or Latin or maybe even in Aramaic?).

Don't get me wrong.....I received Christ as my Personal Savior in an IFB church. I was a lay member of about six churches that carried the B word in their names.

The one in which I'm an active lay member started out ID'ing itself as Baptist.

Subsequently there was a 2009 merger of another independent baptistic congregation who'd sought a more permanent looking physical plant than their current public school cafeteria not too far from the regional zoo.

Yeah, we lost a few folks over that, but then we've gained some over the following six years too.

What was that old adage about looking like a duck, quacking like a duck, preaching.....teaching.....baptizing.....outreaching....., etc.? :thumbs::godisgood:

5. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  6. wpe3bql

wpe3bql Member

D'y'all thank that those see-gars Bro. CHS was wont to smoke might have clouded his reasoning(s)?

Sure glad the subsequent folks clarified what was obviously a blatant oversight by our "sainted" Bro. :thumbsup:

7. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It somewhat depends on the label but the label "Baptist" has become so broad that like "Christian" it means nothing without a bunch of modifiers. With a short drive from KC to Topeka, you could visit Westboro "Baptist" and a Baptist church that has married homosexuals. You could find extremists on both sides of the Arminian-Calvinist debate.

The description of "Baptist" still has meaning... but the label stamped on the sign out front... not so much.

8. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    At some point you're going to have spill the beans and let folks know what kind of church you are. Not having baptist in the name and hiding that you're baptist are two different things. One is contextual practice the other is a deceptive practice.

I wouldn't take baptist off a church that is already established and of good reputation. I like being baptist, sure it's a wide river, with all kinds of folks, but for me, there is too much good to jettison it at this point in my life.

9. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There are heaven knows how many denominations with the word Baptist in the title. It almost makes the word meaningless. But because of some who call themselves Baptist, like the Westboro Baptist Church and some denominations I'll not mention the world has become for many in my area synonymous with:

1. Bigoted
    2. Hate filled
    3. Narrow minded
    4. Ignorant

It is an unfair and erroneous view as it is not true of a large majority of Baptist churches. But the public paints with a wide brush in areas such as this and this is simply a fact where I live that we have to live with and live in such a way that people will see this view is not correct.

10. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My church had Baptist in their name until they moved out to the suburbs (1990?), whereupon they dropped it. However, it does say on the home page of their website that they are of Baptist tradition.

11. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Who is hiding it? If you're baptistic, it will be in your statement of beliefs. Ours is very clear and all you have to do is go to our website, click on "About Us" and then "What We Believe" and there you have it! Nothing hidden at all. :)

12. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you really think that makes it "very clear" that ICC is a Baptist church?

13. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you are a Baptist church and you intentionally leave that out of the name so as not to discourage people from visiting your church you are hiding it.

#13 Revmitchell, Jun 8, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 8, 2015
  14. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

What is not baptistic about those beliefs?

15. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

Why does the church of Christ baptize only by immersion?

The word baptize comes from the Greek word “baptizo” and literally means, “to dip, to immerse, to plunge.” In addition to the literal meaning of the word, immersion is practiced because it was the practice of the church in apostolic times. Still further, only immersion conforms to the description of baptisms as given by the apostle Paul in Romans 6:3-5 where he speaks of it as a burial and resurrection.

Is infant baptism practiced?

No. Only those who have reached the “age of accountability” are accepted for baptisms. It is pointed out that the examples given in the New Testament are always of those who have heard the gospel preached and have believed it. Faith must always precede baptism, so only those old enough to understand and believe the gospel are considered fit subjects for baptism.

http://lakesidechurchofchrist.com/wp/experience/what-we-believe/

16. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Lots of churches could be considered baptistic from an outsiders point of view, but don't consider themselves baptist. Baptistic is so broad as to be functionally useless. Any free church that baptizes through immersion would fit the description. My opinion of course, won't even get you a cup of coffee.

If you're affiliated with a baptist entity, why not easily let folks know?

Of course what another church does is their business, just entering into the discussion with my thoughts.

17. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Does this also go for types of Baptists? For example, should Southern Baptists have to include "Southern Baptist" in their name....or free-will Baptists, Reformed Baptists, etc?

(I attend First Baptist, but perhaps they are hiding the SBC affiliation. We should be "First Southern Baptist").

18. wpe3bql

wpe3bql Member

Then there's "Missionary" Baptists.

I see this name on many church signs.

What precisely does that mean?

To some it obviously must mean that its congregation is, shall we say, not entirely Caucasian.

Others seem to think that it marks as being sort of Landmark-ish in its ecclesiology & prone to emphasize the "Doctrines of Grace" in its soteriology.

Then, others seem to think that .......Well, you get the picture. (I hope. :smilewinkgrin:)

19. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sigh...why? Why do you see that as the same thing.

20. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist

Yes, maybe even more relevant. But this may depend on where you live. In my area the churches that do not list their denominational affiliation are Baptist churches. I can think of no exception to this. But exactly what kind of Baptist is the mystery.

Is it different in your area?

#20 JonC, Jun 8, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 8, 2015