1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

LEFT BEHIND: OR DERILICTION OF DUTY ON THE HIGH SEAS.

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by Gavin, Jul 8, 2002.

1. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

Pastor Larry said:

Our ecclesiology is the result of our hermeneutic, just as their ecclesiology is the result of their hermeneutic.

In the case of the Dispensationalists, unfortunately, the circle is a vicious one.

On "church ages":

This is not dispensationalism. This is the view of a minority of dispensationalists who have been refuted numerous places by other dispensationalists.

Be that as it may, it is unfortunate that the view is held by some of the most influential and important Dispensationalists: Scofield (whose study Bible has been more influential in promoting Dispensational theology than any other source) and Pentecost (whose book Things to Come is likewise significant).

This is not true. Rve 3:10 very clearly talks of a great time of persecution, greater than what that church was currently experiencing.

Well, then, "consistent literalism" draws me to ask: Why is "tribulation" only mentioned with reference to two of the seven churches? Why is the church of Philadelphia promised protection from the "hour of trial" (3:10) but not the faithful in the other six churches? Especially, why not Smyrna, the only other church of the seven to receive nothing but praise? (Apparently for it the Great Tribulation lasts only 10 days.)

Plus, how is the church at Philadelphia to be protected from the Great Tribulation when the church itself no longer exists?

Rev 4:1 -- who knows exactly what you are talking about there.

Notwithstanding the irony of using "seems" and "clearly" side-by-side, Scofield is saying that the command to "Come up here" is a picture of the Rapture - a clear-cut case of allegorization.

2. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    OK, perhaps Pastor Larry has a technical point here but whatever it is called in the equating of "come up here" addressed to John with the rapture of the Church it IS a substitution of the plain meaning of John being transported into heaven with another meaning (the Church Rapture). which is the point I was trying to make in another post. The end result is the same though it is called by different names.
    Personally I don't object to the method of using either "allegories of Christ" or "types of Christ" or "applications" of a text even to the attempt to use "come up here" as a kind of proof text of the rapture.
    However I feel that all such attempts should be held up to the light of the whole counsel of God.
    My own opinion FWIW is that the Darby-ite doctrine of the secret rapture of the church to heaven does not have enough solid scriptural evidence for a personal conviction, although I haven't totally dismissed it from my thinking.
    Another point is that there are Christians of profound faith from every point of view on this matter and is good to see the lively but courteous debates (well, usually) here concerning the rapture.

HankD

[ July 11, 2002, 11:18 PM: Message edited by: HankD ]

3. postrib

postrib New Member

Note that Irenaeus of Lyons (b.130) says Revelation was written by John "towards the end of Domitian's reign" (Against Heresies, Book 5, Chapter 30, Paragraph 3), which ended in 96 AD, and was marked by persecution against the Christians flourishing throughout the Roman Empire, to the point where, as Eusebius says, "even those writers who were far from our religion did not hesitate to mention in their histories the persecution and the martyrdoms which took place during it" (Church History, Book 3, Chapter 18).

Note that Jesus addresses the 7 letters not to 7 future churches, but to 7 present churches "which are in Asia" (Revelation 1:11). I believe the 7 letters are "the things which are" in the passage which says: "Write the things which thou hast seen, and the things which are, and the things which shall be hereafter" (Revelation 1:19). It's not until after the letters that Jesus says: "Come up hither, and I will shew thee things which must be hereafter" (Revelation 4:1).

The experiences of individual believers may match the experience of one of the 7 1st century churches of Asia more than another. For example, many in the church have been tried in tribulation and been faithful unto death as Jesus said the 1st century Smyrnans would be (Revelation 2:10), and I believe many whom Jesus knew had "little strength" have been kept from temptation and trial as Jesus promised the 1st century Philadelphians they would be (Revelation 3:8-10), and they weren't raptured.

http://www.geocities.com/postrib

[ July 13, 2002, 04:17 PM: Message edited by: postrib ]

4. Optional

Optional New Member

PreTrib, postTrib, midTrib or no rapture at all. If I believe preTrib and it happens postTrib - or not at all as I believe - is my salvation somehow in jeopardy?
    If I believe in postTrib and it turns out to be preTrib? Do I not get to go?

5. postrib

postrib New Member

I believe there will be a rapture. "Rapture" is from the Latin "rapiemur," which is how the old Latin translation of the Bible translated "caught up" in 1 Thessalonians 4:17.

Not necessarily. But I believe knowing the rapture's timing is important because Jesus said it's possible for those who believe to subsequently "be offended" by tribulation and "fall away":

"The same is he that heareth the word, and anon with joy receiveth it; Yet hath he not root in himself, but dureth for a while: for when tribulation or persecution ariseth because of the word, by and by he is offended" (Matthew 13:20-21).

"Then shall they deliver you up to be afflicted, and shall kill you: and ye shall be hated of all nations for my name's sake. And then shall many be offended, and shall betray one another, and shall hate one another. And many false prophets shall rise, and shall deceive many. And because iniquity shall abound, the love of many shall wax cold" (Matthew 24:9-12).

"They, which, when they hear, receive the word with joy; and these have no root, which for a while believe, and in time of temptation [peirasmos] fall away" (Luke 8:13).

"Beloved, think it not strange concerning the fiery trial which is to try [peirasmos] you, as though some strange thing happened unto you: But rejoice, inasmuch as ye are partakers of Christ's sufferings; that, when his glory shall be revealed, ye may be glad also with exceeding joy" (1 Peter 4:12-13).

I'm not saying someone will necessarily fall away because they believe in a pre-trib rapture, or that someone necessarily won't fall away because they believe in a post-trib rapture, but I am saying that it is possible for true believers -- whether pre or post -- to fall away in tribulation.

And I believe Jesus told us everything we'd have to face beforehand for a good reason, so that we would be less likely to be offended and fall away: "Take ye heed: behold, I have foretold you all things" (Mark 13:23). "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge" (Hosea 4:6). To be forewarned is to be forearmed: mentally, emotionally, and spiritually (and possibly even physically, if the Lord so leads).

http://www.geocities.com/postrib

6. Gavin

Gavin New Member

QUOTE FROM HANK>>>
    Didn't God say concerning Abraham (the father of the faithful), "Should I not tell Abraham everything I am going to do?"
    Why wouldn't God want his children to have a thumbnail of the historical panaorama of professing Christendom?

GAVIN>>>
    I agree. If you were the Saviour and Deliverer of a people now tucked away in a hostile kingdom what would you do? You would try to get a clear message to your covenant people, right? At the same time you would use a code of parables, types and shadows, (I don't like the word 'allegory'), in your messages. You would do this in order to keep the wrong people, insincere people, double agents, etc. from knowing what you are doing. Jesus said as much concerning his parables which He did not spell out plainly to the rabble.

"These things I have spoken to you in figurative language; but the time is coming when I will no longer speak to you in figurative language, but I will tell you plainly about the Father." -John 16:25

The archangel Gabriel told Daniel much the same thing.

"But you, Daniel, shut up the words, and seal the book until the time of the end; many shall run to and fro, and knowledge shall increase." -Dan.12:4

A day would come when the holy scriptures would be in unholy hands as well as in the hands of the redeemed. Carnal christendom will be out to find out what God is going to do. Their buddies, the kings and rulers of this present age, will be in an absolute uproar about the returning Messiah. (See Psalm 2 about the endtime conspiracy of the rulers against the returning Messiah). Religious powers in cohoots with the political and merchant powers will attempt to stop the coming of the Kindom of Messiah or at least slow down the spreading of the true message of His coming. The three self church in China is forbidden to speak of the endtime. In the Anglican church there are zero readings on sriptures that relate to the second coming of Christ. King Henry was sent into a rage when he heard of Tyndale's Bible open to the people and Englishmen talking about the endtime coming King of kings. He had his bishop Wolsey carpeted over the matter and sent out moles to Europe to find Tyndale to have him burned at the stake. (See the video God's Outlaw by Vision Video at http://www.visionvideo.com/vv/home.asp?l=item&i=298&bhcd2=1027167067
    The politically and mammon compromised religious powers will attempt to religiously "moderate", curb, or twist the downloading of God's Word as it comes down from God's throne in the third heaven. That is what Balaamite Nicolaitan religious rulers have always done.

So the crowds cannot be trusted with sensitive endtime information concerning details of the workings of God's Kingdom. The enemies of Christ and the insincere and those not devoted to Him in blood covenant commitment do not deserve this true and correct information on the endtime. Daniel, ("you are greatly beloved"-Dan.9:23, Dan.10:11) and John, "the disciple whom Jesus loved" and who relined on Jesus's bosom got the endtime information. Why? Because they were lovers of God. Only lovers can be trusted. See http://endtimepilgrim.org/lovingGod.htm

Like all wars, the spiritual war we are in with our captain, the Lord Jesus Christ, is an information war. Keeping information from your enemy is the name of the game. Will this be successful? Yes it will.

8."Although I heard, I did not understand. Then I said, "My lord, what shall be the end of these things?" 9 And he said, "Go your way, Daniel, for the words are closed up and sealed till the time of the end. 10 Many shall be purified, made white, and refined, but the wicked shall do wickedly; and NONE OF THE WICKED SHALL UNDERSTAND, but the wise shall understand."-Dan.12:8-10

Of course we must remember that our enemy is certainly doing all he can to twist OUR information by twisting the holy scriptures. The current world system, especially in popular preaching, endtime fiction books, and the internet is full of sincere but deceived double agents and even Luciferian spies feeding the sheep wrong information. Only the devoted can be trusted. The military knows this well. A navy ship or submarine on a secret sensitive mission sails out under "sealed orders". These orders are progressively unsealed as the ship comes closer to the destination and the ship begins to engage and come into its destiny in history. The church is no different.

HANK>>>>
    Doesn't the Book of Revelation talk about those who have ears to hear let him hear what the Spirit saith to the churches (implying a hidden or difficult message)?

Revelation speaks of "things which shall be hereafter" (future events).
    The allegorical-futuristic interpretation of the seven churches fills in some of the blanks of the Matthew 13 parable of the wheat and the tares and the influence of the tares upon professing christendom as they increase from within it down through the centuries.

Are we not told "be not deceived" and therefore shouldn't we be forewarned as to what the characteristics of the Laodicean Church (for instance) will look like?

GAVIN>>>
    You have hit the nail right on the head, Hank.

Blessings,
    Gavin
    http://endtimepilgrim.org