1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Legalism

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Berean, Jan 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Well, everyone's a sinner, whether they drink beer or not. However, drinking beer is not in and of itself a sin.

2. paul wassona

paul wassona New Member

In your avoiding to answer the other questions I'll have to assume then showing beer commercials along with other enticing ads can lead to sin and have no place in church. Consumption of alcohol is a gateway to sin and is commanded that he who does is not wise. Isn't it a good thing to be wise?

3. donnA

donnA Active Member

like lying?

4. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

THis is the best response IMO.

I think there are different uses of the term, some proper and some not.

To put it in my own words, the first and worst form of legalism is that which one thinks will affect salvation.

If certain things must be done to merit grace, then it is no grace at all.

The second and third forms go together very often.

The second is essentially that you are saved by grace but you earn "extra credit" or are "right with God" based on your performance.
    THis is very common in baptist churches, saved by grace "right with GOd" by performance.

The third form of legalism is the focus on a man made list of rules, often to the neglect to actual laws of God such as bearing false witness, remembering the Sabbath etc.

The problem with legalists is that they often reject one or more of these points in their doctrine (esp the first) but practice the at least the second and third.

most baptist legalists that I have seen fall into the second and third categories, typically both.

5. donnA

donnA Active Member

commercials don't lead to anything, I love fried chicken, but hthose KFC commercials don't make me eat fried chicken, I also like a good burger, and that new burger wrap at McDonald's look real good, but won't be eating one. Commercials do not make me run out and buy those foods, I know they are bad for me, I simply am not going to eat them. I am a recovering food addict, lost weight, gaining health, working out, do not eat whats poisin to me anymore. Even coming in contact with it I don't eat it. Beer commercials are there wether or not it is super bowl or the news, self control is the rule, if the commercials entice anyone to drink, they were going to drink super bowl or not, I can guarentee it as a used to be addicted to heavily commercialized products.
    Super bowl in church instead of worship service I don't like, but not my business if it's not my church.

6. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

From the other thread it is clear where I stand on this, I am opposed to this type of thing in church...however...

You are not accurately representing the scripture on this.
    Sure, alcohol CAN be a "gateway to sin" and anyone who does not consider the dangers of wine is not wise.
    However, one can and many do drink without being deceived by it and know the dangers of abuse.
    Many people also know the dangers of driving a car and are careful.

Be careful here that you do not add to God's law.

7. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

It's also wise to take a little wine for a stomach ailment. :)

We must be careful to not get into the false formula of a+b=C so we must avoid b.

8. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    True.

And the thinking that b is a gateway access to the A+B=C problem. Thus if I do B then I have no option other than to add A to it resulting in C.

9. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

I disagree. If commercials weren't effective in persuading people to buy their products, companies wouldn't spend billions in advertising.

There is a progression to sin.

Jas*1:13 ¶ Let no man say when he is tempted, I am tempted of God: for God cannot be tempted with evil, neither tempteth he any man:
    Jas*1:14 But every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed.
    Jas*1:15 Then when lust hath conceived, it bringeth forth sin: and sin, when it is finished, bringeth forth death.

10. Johnv

Johnv New Member

It's a good thing to be wise, but the fact that you categorically define alcolol consumption as a gate way to sin demonstrates a lack of wisdom on your part.
    You're falsely assuming that enticing someone via a commercial to do something is equivalent to a progression to sin. Today, I saw a commercial advertizing "get two days of admission into Disneyland Resort". How is "enticing" me to go to a theme park a "progression to sin"?

#70 Johnv, Jan 21, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2010
  11. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Do you actually read posts? I never said that ALL commercials lead to sin. My post was in response to Donna's in which she said that "commercials don't lead to anything". Enticements can and do lead to sin. Commercials are enticing. Have you ever seen the Hardees commercials with almost naked women eating burgers? Don't tell me that does nothing to the thoughts of a man. Why do you think they advertise in that way? Because s*x sells!

12. Johnv

Johnv New Member

To be fair, your post was worded to refer to commercials in general, when you said "there is a progression to sin".
    Well, unless the commercials are enticing its viewers to fornicate while eating a burger, all they're guilty of is using s*x to sell a product whose consumption is not in and of itself a sin. Although, the last time I ate a Carl's Jr (Hardees) burger, a s*xually attractive woman came over and invited me to engage in s*xually graphic activities with her. That woman was my wife, though. Does that count?

#72 Johnv, Jan 21, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2010
  13. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Horrible. I don't think I'll ever eat fast food again.

14. dcorbett

dcorbett Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sarcasm now, Donna? I NEVER LIED ABOUT ANYTHING. YOU ARE WRONG,

15. paul wassona

paul wassona New Member

Hi Donna, thanks for the input.

I cannot agree with your thinking that commercials don't affect you. You just got finished saying how they don't cause you to go out and buy the things they advertise, yet you are still affected.

The whole marketing technique of commercials is not that you would go out right away and make a purchase of the product, although from the maker of that product would be good for them, it is the purpose to impose the product into your memory banks so you might be enticed by its attractiveness.

The SuperBowl doesn't belong in any church, although it may belong in a social gathering which calls itsself a church.

The SB has NOTHING to do with God and neither will any of the commercials during its program.

When men of God didn't establish a difference between the holy and the profane God got real upset and His wrath followed.

There's a gap in the hedge and God wants men to fill it, not become filled with entertainment and all in the name of soul liberty.

16. paul wassona

paul wassona New Member

I haven't, Dale, and I appreciate your response.

The thought behind abstaining from wine and strong drink is to be wise that one very well might become addicted to its poisoning. Those who say they are only moderate drinkers are far more likely to become addicted to alcohol than those who won't and don't drink it.

I'd be careful of limiting the verse and then it being you're subtracting from the law.

17. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Shoes don't belong in any church, although they are useful in a social gathering which calls itself a church.

Shoes have NOTHING to do with God and neither will any of dirt that is tracked in by them.

18. paul wassona

paul wassona New Member

Isn't that for a prescription for medicinal purposes to help a sour stomach?

The alcohol doesn't help, but only the purging effect of the grape juice does help. People in the medical profession recommend juice and not wine.

Thanks for the input though:thumbsup:

19. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    My favorite all time superbowl commercial is the EDS cat round up however I also like the tabasco sauce exploding mosquitos. Those two comercials have corrupted my mind.

20. paul wassona

paul wassona New Member

Not the same thing either.

Alcohol inhibits judgement and the ability to rationalise effectively. Temptations are enhanced by it. If you wish to deny these wellknown facts that is your liberty to do that.

Thanks for attacking my wisdom in such an underhanded way.

My, there's some rude people here!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.