1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Legalism

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Berean, Jan 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I told my wife that her hair was like wild goats running down a mountainside. She didn't take to kindly to that. I wonder what the writer of the songs was thinking about! I almost got punched in the face!

2. paul wassona

paul wassona New Member

I'm sorry, but you just say your wife is a legalist?

3. donnA

donnA Active Member

ever heard of selfcontrol? you can't blame others for eprsonal sins, at some point you have to take responsibiblity.

4. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Of course you do. Who said otherwise? The marketing industry is a huge $$$$$$$$$$$$ making industry because it works. You should contact all the companies that advertise on TV and tell them they can save their money because people will buy their products without all the ads they spend billions on. :rolleyes:

5. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    No. She just didn't like being compared to a flock of goats running down a mountain side. She would have been happier if I said something to the effect that her hair was softly shimmering like the gentle touch of moonlight flowing incandesently down upon fragrent night blossoms both illuminating their array of color and beauty. Their silky fibers streaming down to her expectant shoulders like The cool fall of waters which brings life to all it touches.

#105 Thinkingstuff, Jan 22, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2010
  6. donnA

donnA Active Member

So do you buy every item you see a commercial for? You probably do not. No one does. I see KFC commercials all the time, or something really good like those shrimp commercials for red lobster, gooey cheese on applebee's commercials. But have yet in nearly 2 years eaten any of it.
    The bible calls it self control.
    When my husband was young, before we dated, he was an alcholic. Those comercials do not make him want to drink alochol.
    Lets ee, if commercials entice people to sin, then you should not have a tv at all, do you have one? well, maybe you don't, some people don't.
    commercials try to entice you to eat the wrong foods ofr your body, too much foods, they entice you to greed by making you want whatever the commercail is for, like that beautiful new coat, or that great and awesome tv, a car newer and better then yours, which may not be so great anymore.
    there fore to avoid being enticed insot sin, you should never watch tv.
    OH,, just hought about it, computer will do the samethings for you. We've got ads right her eon the BB, you can't escape commerciasl even on the internet.

Paul's the one who said wine.

you actually scared me johnv.

I've already told you, more then once, I see these same commercials and do not buy their products. Do you? Again, it's called self control, no one makes you sin, no one makes you buy, you do it yourself, otherwise we wouldn't be responsible for sin, someone enticed us to do it.
    you can't eliminate stuff that in and of itself are not sin, because people 'might' be 'enticed' to sin. You couldn't watch tv at all, ever in that case, use the interent, go out in public. Yet you do these things frequently(don't know about thetv though).

7. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

Don't be upset at me because you are ignorant. The medicines advertised during the Superbowl have nothing to do with the prostate. Besides, even the medicines that you are probably thinking about serve a purpose to those who need them. Get off your high horse and maybe you will realize this!

8. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Ok Donna. You've got your opinion, I've got mine. :wavey:

9. Johnv

Johnv New Member

The references effectively dispel the assertions of those here in this thread that claim drinking wine is a sin. It is not.
    That would be true only if there is a scriptual admonition to corporate worshipping in a sanctuary or similar worship building. But there is none. There's no NT scripture whatseover that defines corporate worship building practices. None.

10. dcorbett

dcorbett Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Amen! I have been reading and watching. I got stung pretty bad for my convictions. I am working on this, praying about it, haven't left yet, but tempted every time I re-read the venomous posts directed at me and my choice of churches, I guess I need to stop reading them. I will never back away from my convictions, I never told anyone what they had to do, though, that is between them and the Lord. I would never frown on someone for wearing pants to church or using an NIV....even though I don't do either, based upon what I have learned. It is UP TO YOU AND YOUR WALK.

But I am adamantly against the broadcast of mindless entertainment in the House of the Lord. If it doesn't edify, it doesn't belong, one can twist it anyway they like, a pig is still a pig. You can put all the perfume on it you like, and it is still a pig! And folks, don't give me all your justifications, I don't buy them. Search your hearts. Why are you doing this? You justify it by saying it brings lost people in, but isn't it REALLY because you don't want to miss the game? Be honest with yourself.

And don't make fun of or criticize me for having "old time religion"....read the words of the song, and you will see where I come from.

11. paul wassona

paul wassona New Member

Are you always so rude?

If you want the same type atmosphere as the local sports bar in what you call a church then that is your business.

My horse is only 15 hands so he isn't "high".

I can separate the SB from church, can you?

12. paul wassona

paul wassona New Member

Wine is a mocker (doesn't say how much) strong drink is raging.

You say drinking things that mock and bring you into a rage are sinful, yet God says they cause you to go into a state of sinning.

When the temperature hits a balmy -2 for the high in Wyoming where do you think the people of God should assemble, in a well heated church building or out in the pastures?

Hebrews 10:25 doesn't specify weather permitting so common sense tells us to allow people to meet together where a building is incorporated for worship purposes.

I'm sorry if somehow I have hit a sensitive spot in your intellect, but I believe you have just been proved wrong.

#112 paul wassona, Jan 22, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2010
  13. paul wassona

paul wassona New Member

Well, if no one else will stand with you, I will.:thumbsup:

Most are just envious of your dedication to the Lord and it convicts them. This is why they react the way they do in an effort to try and vindicate themselves by attacking you. Why this runs amongst Baptists so much I can't understand, but it just goes with the territory.:tonofbricks:

14. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

I apologize, but it was a two-way street.

My church doesn't have a Super bowl party. I wish they did, but they don't. I do not see a problem with having the men of the church coming together one time a year at night to watch a football game with each other. It certainly doesn't take the place of preaching, singing or worship, but to fellowship with each other casually while enjoying a football game doesn't tarnish the Gospel at all.

I thought only us Texans have horses. Mine has two wheels and runs on gasoline, but it's a lot easier to take care of.[/QUOTE]

15. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Are you seriously a man and you don't know the difference between prostate issues (which will cause issues like difficulty urinating, frequent urination and pain) and ED issues, which are two totally different things? Might want to get some education there.

16. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

A fall off 15 hands still hurts. I can attest to that. :D

17. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

It's interesting that you can judge the hearts of men. Are you God?

18. paul wassona

paul wassona New Member

Do you always throw salt in your victims eyes before or after you cut them?

19. paul wassona

paul wassona New Member

I wasn't judging heartd but actions. No, but I am one of his spokesmen. Are you some one who doesn't mind looking like a busybody?

20. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Sorry son. You said "Most are just envious of your dedication to the Lord and it convicts them." You're judging the heart - not actions.

As for the rest of your comments, your mother and father need to do some disciplining I see.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.