1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Legeslation of morality

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by PastorFaulk, Aug 2, 2007.

1. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

In a free society, though, we can vote in those nutcases like JKD described and then we really would be like the Taliban -- maybe on a lesser level, but maybe not.

2. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

MC, that is why the rule of law is so important.
    THe point of constitutions, both state and federal is to bind the government, not the people.
    The idea is that no matter who we elect, they must obey the law. They must only enforce what they have a right to enforce.
    We are not electing God's, but enforcers of God's justice.

3. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

Voting for someone should be like taking your car to a mechanic.
    No matter which mechanic you choose, you have a specific job you want him to perform.
    No matter which one you pick, you want the same results.
    The only thing that makes one better than the other is how well they will perform the job and at what price.

imagine if you took your car in for a $29 oil change and picked it up to find out it now had 4 more tires at $480 and a new paint job ($890) would you be a little upset? Sure.

In the same way, if we elect some whacko that wants to make the state of Texas or wherever a "baptist" taliban, then they still have no authority to do that.

4. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

I agree, but it's also important why we've got to vote and pay very close attention to who we are voting for. (for whom we are voting rather ;) )

I guess I could see it running amuck rather quickly if we aren't careful.

5. Jkdbuck76

Jkdbuck76 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

HEY!!!! Don't make fun! I'm schizophrenic and so am I!

6. npetreley

npetreley New Member

It's not schizophrenia, it's multiple personality disorder. And I do NOT have multiple personality disorder. But I do.

7. Mr.M

Mr.M New Member

Moral laws are God's regulations for all humans, not just Christians. However, one must realistically and effectively discriminate between public morality and private morality. For example murder is prohibited almost universally and this is an accepted form of public morality that can and is enforced by law. It is a must for civil stability. Chaos would ensue if it were not so. The threat is no longer isolated to one or two consenting persons but society as a whole.

So it is obvious that in the case of murder, morality is a widely accepted form of legislated morality.

The problem comes when private forms of morality are introduced as legislation for enforcement in the public arena. For example, in the past states had Blue Laws that regulated commerce on Sunday. They were based (you can thank the Puritans and their tendency toward self-righteousness and tyranny toward others who did not observe as they did for this) on an attempt to enforce Sunday observance based on the belief it was required to be observed similarly, if not the same, as the OT Sabbath day given specifically to the Theocracy of Israel during that time.

And so this is a private morality. One man or a religious sect have the belief that they are required to observe the day in some specific fashion. Imposing this upon others is where the failure to rightly segregate private and public morality occurs and the result of course is a small group or specific group's purpose is served to the ignorance of others. Where as, in the case of murder being legislated all of society...i.e. the nation where ever it may be, is benefited.

So the legislation of morality must be carefully considered and thoroughly examined before rashness and self-righteousness sets in and distorts rational discussion and the development of legislation that serves instead of enslaving.

8. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

Right on.
    Voting for Bill Clinton was a vote for a man that had no regard for his duty in office and was a tyrant.
    We must then be careful that the person we are voting for will indeed do the job we are voting them in to do.

Mr M,
    This is what i have been saying. It is a separation crimes against God and crimes against fellow man.

9. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

<sarcasm> But Mr. M, don't you think all mankind would benefit from setting aside one day to worship God? <end sarcasm>

Just wanted to warn you that the same folks who lump personal morality into the public arena tend to also believe that Sunday should be set aside much like the Sabbath day was. Just wait, they'll be coming out of the woodwork any minute.

You have fun with them. Unfortunately, I'm going to be gone for most of the rest of today and won't get to. :D

10. Mr.M

Mr.M New Member

No, I don't because it would be violating the Scriptures to do so. I don't support violating the Scriptures which means adding to, taking away or misrepresenting them. And yes, I am aware of the "Crusaders" of this world, Christian, religious and secular who live to impose their form of righteousness upon others.