1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Legislating Defeat

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by carpro, Sep 5, 2007.

1. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    http://us.f569.mail.yahoo.com/ym/Sh...eta=yes&y5beta=yes&order=down&sort=date&pos=0

EXCERPT

Legislating Defeat Will Be Tragically Wrong, a Major Victory for Our Enemies and a Major Defeat for the United States

Let me be absolutely clear: I am unalterably opposed to legislating defeat.
    And from talking to thousands of you across the country, including those in our armed forces, I know that the American people are opposed to defeat as well.

We know that defeat in Iraq will be a disaster for America, for the Iraqi people and for the cause of freedom and the rule of law.
    If the American Congress legislates defeat, it will have taken on its shoulders the burden of politically defeating the United States at a time when it is impossible for our enemies to militarily defeat us.
    If the "Reid-Pelosi Defeat America" legislation passes, every terrorist group on the planet will rejoice.

If the leftwing, pro-defeat activists celebrate a victory over Gen. Petraeus and President Bush, they will be joined in their celebration by every anti-American group around the world.

Legislating defeat should not be an acceptable option for any American who cares about our national security and who wants to defeat the enemy who attacked us on 9/11.

Anticipating the Patraeus Report

We already know from a variety of sources, including interviews with Gen. Petraeus, what his report will contain.

Gen. Petraeus will report that things have improved, that we are a long way from winning but we are gaining ground, and that we need more time and more patience. The report will indicate that the military situation in Iraq is improving faster than the political situation but that both are promising.

However, we should be prepared for the probability that the enemy has spent the last several months planning and preparing to launch devastating attacks to coincide with the release of the report.

Our enemies understand how Washington works, and they understand how the media work. They increasingly plan the timing of their attacks in an effort to undermine the resolve of our politicians and our public by perfecting their influence of the war coverage in our news media.
    If the enemy fails to attack during the debate over the report, it will be a modest help to Gen. Petraeus and President Bush.

If the enemy does succeed in a series of deadly attacks during the debate over the report, those attacks will be seized upon by the American news media and the pro-defeat left as proof that legislating defeat is the right solution.

Newt Gingrich

2. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am really tired of Republicans putting our troops down by refusing to recognize that they won in Iraq long ago - Saddam Hussein was deposed and the Iraqi people were handed a representative form of democracy on a silver platter paid for with American blood and treasure.

That were the goals we were told about by the Bush administration. Our troops achieved them and it is well past time for Republican warvangelicals to praise our troops for achieving victory in Iraq by achieving the goals they were given and to stop claiming that they haven't achieved victory yet.

Shame on all Republicans and conservatives for badmouthing our troops.

3. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You have made this silly statement many times before and I have declined to point out the idiocy of it on those occasions. I choose to do so again.

4. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    And I will continue to make this statement as long as there are people downplaying the accomplishments of our troops in Iraq.

5. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

You are the one downplaying their accomplishments. Along with your flipflopping, you have a way of flipping reality and it causes you to make these kinds of silly statements.

Your first post is, as often the case, incomplete. What you say the goals and accomplishments were/are is true. But you omit the fact that the goal was to leave a stable Iraqi government that functions. That has not been done, and your desire to withdraw because "we can't win Iraq's civil war" is a slap in the face to the men and women who are there fighting.

6. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Which side do you want our troops to fight for - the Sunni Muslims or the Shiite Muslims?

7. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

You asked this before. Are you so short of memory that you have forgotten?

We do not fight for either side. We fight for peace. So we fight against those who make war rather than come to the table and solve the problem through establishing the government.

You must also remember that there is debate as to whether or not it is even a civil war. There is a very small insurgency creating a lot of havoc, much of it apparently sponsored by Iran. This is not like the US Civil War.

8. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    We've heard that song and dance routine from the neo-"cons" before. I bought into their claims in 2003 but not this time without solid, unassailable proof.

Do you agree with a letter writer to the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette this week who advocated dropping a nuclear bomb on Iraq? The writer didn't say where or on whom in Iraq. I don't think that using nuclear weapons is the way to deal with terrorists. I doubt that you do, either.

9. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

Okay. That's fine. It doesn't really matter. Whatever the case, the insurgency is very small compared to the size of hte country.

I haven't read that letter, but I do not support the use of nuclear weapons at this point. There may come a time in the future when it would be necessary. I don't know what that situation would be, but my point is that I would not take them off the table. But we are clearly not there yet. I don't think you deal with terrorists that way. You deal with countries that way. You deal with terrorists in different ways, depending on the nature of hte occasion.

10. YOUTUBECANBESAVED

YOUTUBECANBESAVED New Member

I agreed with this person,people should be apologizing and asking forgiveness for voting these liars into office but pride is so strong and fear yielding it is always somebody elses fault but not anyone of them. God help our country to heal and do away with the neocon theme that does not get this country moving toward positive problem solving.

11. Cutter

Cutter New Member

Sounds good to me. They are by the way 98 percent muslim. How long do you think they would have survived had they been among the heathen nations God commaded the Israelites to dispose of?
    We are their enemy whether you realize this or not!

12. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    So do you advocate nuking all the Muslims in the world or just the Muslims who live in Iraq?

And just how many countries has God commanded the Israelites to dispose of since the Old Covenant was taken off the board?

There are some Christians who sound as blood thirsty as the members of al Qaeda. And that is so sad. So sad. :tear:

#12 KenH, Sep 5, 2007
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2007
  13. Cutter

Cutter New Member

I just now noticed the letter writer said Iraq instead of Iran. Iraq is 97% Muslim. Either way, if there was a way to nuke all muslims the world would be better off.

14. YOUTUBECANBESAVED

YOUTUBECANBESAVED New Member

ur avatar is that nazi regalia, it looks like Afrika Corp????

15. Cutter

Cutter New Member

And there are some Christians that do not have the will nor backbone to love freedom and Christianity! :tear:

Are you so naive as to be blind to what the world would look like if Muslims had control?

16. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's real Christian of you to advocate genocide. Real Christian of ya. :tear:

17. Cutter

Cutter New Member

Is that better?

18. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I suggest you read the New Testament. I don't see genocide as being advocated by Christ Jesus or his apostles.

19. Cutter

Cutter New Member

Thank you Bro. Ken. I knew eventually you would say something complimentary!:applause:

20. Cutter

Cutter New Member

Why then did the Lord say, Luke 22:36 Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take [it], and likewise [his] scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

Probably because He knew scripture, something some BB posters don't.

Like Ecclesiastes 3
    1 To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven:
    2 A time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, and a time to pluck up that which is planted;
    3 A time to kill, and a time to heal; a time to break down, and a time to build up.