1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Length of Car loans

Discussion in 'Money Talk$' started by Salty, Jun 10, 2015.

1. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You can do the tax write-off with a purchased vehicle.

Purchased vehicles can be written off to the extent of:

* annual amount of interest paid on the loan
    * bonus depreciation under IRS rule 179 (my truck doesn't qualify.)
    * regular depreciation schedules

The "magic" of leasing is you don't need a $15,000 - $20,000 down payment to make the monthly payment affordable.

2. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

OK wait - which is it? The company is paying the lease or you are? I don't understand.

You speak of "unexpected expensive repairs" - but I have $24,000 sitting in the bank. What kind of repair would cost $24,000?

3. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Hmm - just thought of something else. Don't you pay the sales tax in full on leases? You are paying MORE to Uncle Sam than I am.

4. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The only debt I have is a home mortgage and a lease payment for my wife's vehicle. My company pays for my truck lease.

You have no idea as to my financial situation, but I'll just say that we could have bought her car outright but chose not to because I'd rather invest $25,000 somewhere and put it to work for me rather than fork over $25,000 in cash to own a car, something that's just going to lose value over time. Better to simply buy the depreciation on a monthly basis (which is what a good lease deal will do for you.)

Company paying my home mortgage is illegal. And no, paying off a 4% home mortgage "as soon as possible" is not the smartest thing to do, not if you can make at least 4% on your money elsewhere (pretty easy to do).

Stick to giving spiritual advice.

5. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In Minnesota you pay sales tax only on that portion of the car's value that will be used up by the lease. You don't pay the full sales tax amount of the vehicle.

6. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

But you do realize that in that 10 year scenerio, you have $25,000 invested somewhere and spent $48,000. So you are behind a net of $23,000. However, I have purchased my car and at the end of the 10 years, now have $24,000 sitting in the bank (or invested if I wish, having invested over the course of the 10 years). Still, who is ahead?

7. corndogggy

corndogggy Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So what's wrong with a regular depreciation schedule? The schedule on mine is the same length as the payments. It gets deducted at about the same rate as the payments that go in.

8. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The company is paying the lease. As owner, I write the checks. Sorry for the confusion.

Not necessarily $24,000 worth of repairs. But supposing your transmission flew apart on the freeway (like what happened to CornDoggy). That would be an "unexpected repair" and if it was beyond the warranty period it would be out of pocket.

It's nice to have $24,000 in the bank, but would you enjoy using $2,000 to fix your transmission? That's what I'm talking about.

9. corndogggy

corndogggy Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So there's no way you can come up with 7K but you have over 25K that you could use at your discretion. Right. :thumbs:

10. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Everything in the life of a Christians is spiritual. Even money

Pro_22:7 The rich ruleth over the poor; And the borrower is servant to the lender.

11. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nothing wrong with it. The problem is the down payment. I don't want to fork over $15,000 as a down payment in order to make the monthly payment sensible. I'd rather use that money for other business expenses.

12. corndogggy

corndogggy Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How expensive of a vehicle are you talking about here? I've got a $35,000 one and I put $8,000 down and my payments are the same as yours.

13. corndogggy

corndogggy Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Except when you're spending nearly $5,000 a year like you are to avoid a hypothetical $2,000 transmission rebuild that may or may not happen at some random point, you're still going in the hole.

I like nice new cars as much as the next guy, but at least I admit that I just like nice new cars. I'm not about to claim that I'm being frugal with my vehicle purchases. I enjoy the peace of mind and flat out enjoy it period but acting like I'm a financial guru that's got it all figured out isn't exactly on the table. I sacrificed a lot to get what I've got now and make no apologies for it.

14. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually, there are two leases in play here. My company truck lease and my wife's personal car lease. The $25,000 invested elsewhere is in lieu of buying my wife's car. So, sticking to the company truck scenario, yes, I would be out $48,000 in ten years and have nothing but tax write-offs and no repair bills to show for it.

Apples and pineapples. Switching to my wife's example. We put zero money down (literally a sign and drive deal, plus they made our last payment on our minivan) and they paid for the first lease payment. We now pay $270 a month for the next 35 months, $9,450 total. We still have $25,000 sitting in conservative mutual funds. After three years we will have about $28,500 in those funds. We made $3,500. If that were used to offset the lease, my wife has driven a new car worry free for less than $2,000 a year, or about $165 a month.

So, who's ahead? In the long run, on paper, you are. But if I choose to have my wife drive a new car for $165 a month, I consider myself to be doing pretty darn good.

15. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Ram had a sticker of $46,200. I think the final number used for the lease after rebates and incentives was $42,000. However, this number is virtually meaningless in the context of the lease. The lease is a per month payment.

If you financed $27,000 over four or five years (or even six years) I doubt that your payments are as low as mine.

#75 InTheLight, Sep 29, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 29, 2015
  16. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    When did I say I was paying nearly $5,000 a year?

When did I say I was being frugal? I fully admit that continually leasing vs. buying and holding is less economical for INDIVIDUALS. For corporations there are a lot of other factors that come into play.

I'm not a financial guru and I don't have it all figured out. I do, however, have my particular situation and set of circumstances figured out. And they're not applicable to non-business owners. So, really this attempt at comparison is not fruitful.

Good going. I wasn't handed anything either and my company almost went under in 2009. I've been doing this for 27 years so I feel I have some knowledge on the subject.

17. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I'd rather pay out $2000 than $23,000. Realize that $2000 is just about 4 or 5 months' worth of payments on a lease. I'd still be ahead of the game by the end of the year.

18. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, there is a difference between business assets and personal assets. In fact, a legal separation. There is no co-mingling of the two.

I don't have $7,000 laying around in my business checking account. I do have $25,000 in my personal investment account. Understand?

19. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, I would never do a lease deal for $500 a month. That's why I didn't get the Ford. I've only had one lease in all my years that was over $400.

20. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeah, well I'm not a servant to my lenders. I could buy out my loans if I wanted to do so.

#80 InTheLight, Sep 29, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 29, 2015