1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Lent

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Salty, Feb 23, 2011.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are absolutely right - So I have decided to remove the baptistery from our church!!!

2. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Ron I am not so sure I agree with you on this IF I understand you correctly. I certainly believe that some believers are closer to the Lord then others. I also believe that He holds certain believers closer to His heart then others. Our actions can and do make a difference as to how close we get to the Lord.
    I am not suggesting that we can be saved by them, but after salvation I believe some are held at a greater level and are closer to the Lord. An example is marry the mother of the Lord. It is said of her that she was highly favored. Not everyone has that.

3. stilllearning

stilllearning Active Member

Why would you do that?........
    Acts 8:36
    “And as they went on [their] way, they came unto a certain water: and the eunuch said, See, [here is] water; what doth hinder me to be baptized?”

4. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Becaue of the verse you quoted!!!

5. stilllearning

stilllearning Active Member

This “certain water”, may have been a baptistery!

6. BobinKy

BobinKy New Member

Ron Wood...

Welcome to Baptist Board. You are from Kentucky. I like that. There are several Kentuckians on Baptist Board.

...Bob

#26 BobinKy, Feb 27, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 27, 2011
  7. Ron Wood

Ron Wood New Member

Then perhaps I should be more clear.
    Only in our experience of grace. It seems to us that we are close to God at times and that He even hides His face at times but He is never far from one whom He loves.
    Can you get any closer than Christ is? In Him I am as close as He is.
    Only in our experience. We are close to Him in Christ even though we may not experience that closeness.
    Not at all. All believers have exactly the same favor of God. It isn't by our works but by Christ. He earned all the blessings of God and we enjoy them only in Him. The favor that Mary experienced was being the mother of the child Jesus. But she is no closer to God than you or I am. Her favor with God is Christ the same as ours is. The idea that there are some who are more favored by God necessarily means that we earn the favor of God in some way. That means that Christ isn't enough. Christ is all my righteousness, all my holiness, all my hope of favor and all my desire. All the promises of God are in Him and are yeah and amen. In Him we are accepted, adopted, declared holy and righteous and have all the blessings of God poured out on us. The idea of differing rewards in Heaven is a myth created by false preachers in order to coerce goats into doing that which they would not normally do. Believers all get exactly the same thing, whatever it is Christ earned.

8. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My wife's from Boone Iowa.....any points for that?:laugh:

9. Ron Wood

Ron Wood New Member

Probably named after the wrong Boone. Though he did travel quite a bit. :smilewinkgrin:

10. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Ron you may believe that but you cannot back that up with scriptuture. I have no dounbt that God holds more favor to some then others. Like I said Mary is an example. Also the bible clearly teaches that there are different rewards in heaven.

11. Ron Wood

Ron Wood New Member

I am not going to debate this with you. But know that if I couldn't back it up with Scripture I wouldn't have said it. You may want to check how close you are to the RCC doctrine in both your views.

12. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Then show the sriptures less you are bluffing. making dogmatic statement wihtout scripture is adding to the word.

13. Ron Wood

Ron Wood New Member

NO. Think what you will. I said I wasn't going to debate it with you. I suspect that you wouldn't agree with the Scriptures if I gave them. I don't know why but I have the impression that you are female. Am I correct? One thing I have learned over 37 years of marriage is to never argue with a woman. You can't win.

14. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Perhaps you picked the wrong woman. May be you should trade her in for a godly one who does not argue with you but obeys the Lord to remain silent and win her husband with her chaste actions.

15. Old Union Brother

Old Union Brother New Member

Are you referring to this scripture?
    If so I'll ask a few more questions after your answer.

16. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

No not really. I was mostly speaking about 1Cor 3:12-14.

17. Ron Wood

Ron Wood New Member

What is the context of that passage?

18. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

I think you told me to look it up in another thread. Do likewise.

19. Ron Wood

Ron Wood New Member

I have the passage open in front of me. So I ask again what is the context of the passage?

20. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Anyone who wants to observe Lent is their business. It is not something I care to do, or have every Sunday of the year named for some Biblical event. The only place I deal with lent is the clothes dryer.