1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Lenten season

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by Brother Adam, Feb 18, 2004.

1. Brother Adam

Brother Adam New Member

I know most Baptists are totally unfamiliar with the liturgical 3 year cycle. Being very involved with the Lutheran Church, to the point of leading services, I am very familiar with it.

I'm wondering though- what do Baptists find wrong with a liturgical style of worship? Why the break from it? It is a very beautiful intimate form of worship.

On another note, Do you think it is wrong to pratice giving up an "extra" for lent? I'm seriously thinking about restarting this in my own life this year.

2. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

I agree. It's one of the things I miss from the church I grew up in.

No. I don't do that anymore but there's nothing wrong with it.

3. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

While I wouldn't say it's specifically wrong to give up something, it does go against what we should be trying to do on a daily basis.
    If we were honest about our lives, we'd admit that there's many things we have that we don't need, and things we need that others need more. If we were truly living our fullest for God we'd be sacrificing and reminding ourselves of God through it on a day to day basis.
    When a Christian in the bible is told to give up something for God it's through fasting, totally giving up a basic neccessity of life for a time.
    Gina

4. MikeS

MikeS New Member

Except that, being human, we can't focus on every aspect of our faith all the time. The beauty of the liturgical year is that it brings all the important aspects of the faith back to our attention every year.