1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Let GOD Be GOD!

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by OldRegular, Feb 23, 2010.

1. AresMan

AresMan Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This answer provides no logical explanation for why some become consumed entirely by these sins and why others overcome them.

Does God not know men's hearts more than they do? (Jer 17:9; 1 Chr 28:9; 1 Joh 3:20)

If this is the case, would not God know How Much Grace® each person needs to overcome their hearts? If He does, why does He not give it? If not, or if some people will never turn to God even with The Maximum Grace Possible®, then you believe in a version of Total Depravity for certain people that is far stronger than I. ;)

2. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

This response is a fallacy known as "begging the question." Allow me to explain why.

1. To ask the question "why some become consumed entirely by these sins and why others overcome them" is to presume a deterministic response is necessary, the very premise which is in question.

2. We all agree that God knows man's hearts better than anyone and COULD, IF HE CHOSE TO, irresistibly grace everyone to salvation, but again the premise up for debate is whether God has chosen this method or not.

3. Again, to ask the question, "Would not God know How Much Grace® each person needs to overcome their hearts?" Is to presume the premise that God wants to save people by "overcoming" their hearts in an irresistible manner, rather than in the manner proposed by our side. Again, this is question begging at its finest.

Thank you.

3. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

What precisely do you mean that "many of this forum refuse to let God be God"?

4. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

He means that if we don't hold to his interpretation of scripture then we aren't letting God be God. He erroneously thinks that God's sovereignty is only upheld in a system where God has predetermined who He will and will not save. This is a debate fallacy and should be ignored.

5. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

quantumfaith

Scandelon provides a perfect example of what I mean. He has apparently taken on the attributes of GOD and knows in advance what my answer would be even before I composed it in my own mind.:laugh: Now I dare not say anything to the contrary out of fear of divine wrath!:laugh::laugh::laugh:

6. quantumfaith

I will "accept" that without commentary, only provided you "excuse" any sarcasm of mine with respect to future free acts of theological and intellectual discourse. Agreed? Sarcasm is not equal to hatred or disdain, simply passioned disagreement.

7. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Very well put. I would also include that a wee bit of facetiousness should be allowed or tolerated, although it often doesn't come accross well in it's written form.

8. quantumfaith

Ditto! Agreed. Nothing in hate or disdain.