1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Let it Be - The Beatles.

Discussion in 'Music Ministry' started by Ben W, May 1, 2005.

1. Baptist in Richmond

Baptist in Richmond Active Member

Greetings Songbird:

As for the meaning, look no further than the lyrics themselves - specifically, the verse of the song that you have quoted in your post:

"Imagine all the people,
    Living life in peace."

It seems to me that he was referring to the fact that many wars have been fought over religion. The entire song is about peace love and harmony, not "taking no responsibilties for our actions," as you have suggested.

I am not saying that I subscribe to that belief, but I think that if you look at the whole song, the meaning is right there in front of us.

Besides, don't forget: he came up with those lyrics when he was on the Dick Cavett Show......with Forrest Gump!! [​IMG]

Wishing God's best upon you and your family,

BiR

2. Baptist in Richmond

Excellent choice.</font>[/QUOTE]Thank you. I possess a deep love for Mr. Zimmerman, and the older I get, the more I love him. I remember that you picked The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan as one of your greatest albums (see other thread).

Hey, how about Dylan & The Dead, as you love The Grateful Dead???? I am going to get up and put that in my iMac right now.

Wishing God's Best to you and yours as well,

BiR

3. Eric B

Eric B Active Member
    Site Supporter

Oh, and forgot to address "no heaven". Same principle. People think of heaven as where "the good" go when they die. But once there is no more death; then there will be no more "people going to Heaven". Of course; God will still be in Heaven. Resurrection bodies will probably have some kind of access to it too (since Jesus' body does); but it will no longer reppresent death.
    So once again; it is a wish for the end of death and suffering; and his mistake is wishing for this apart from the God who will bring an end to death and suffering.

4. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

Yeah, I think "The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan" really is the one that defined him. It's a great album and nearly every song on it is a classic. I don't think that happens by accident.

After "Nashville Skyline" and "Blonde on Blonde", "Freewheelin'" is probably his best.

By the way, Tim O'Brien, of Hot Rize, has a great album of Dylan covers called "Red on Blonde". It's a good listen for fans of Dylan or fans of good acoustic music.

I remember when that came out. That was before I really liked the Dead. In fact, all my friends liked them and I couldn't stand them at the time.

It wasn't a bad album at all and now, looking back, I'd loved to have seen that tour.

And you, as well.

Now Playing: Bonnie Raitt – “Green Light”

5. Travelsong

Travelsong Guest

Gonna have to go with Bringing It All Back Home. The last 20 minutes of that album might be the best in recorded popular music history.

6. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

Only if you're looking for it.

There are a lot of songs that have meanings that can be misapplied or applied to other, unrelated things.

For thirty years, it was assumed that John Prine's song, "Illegal Smile" was about smoking pot, even though he has explained many times that it isn't about anything of the sort.

Now Playing: Easter Brothers - "Heart and Soul"

7. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And we all know that musicians never lie... :rolleyes:

8. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

That's a mighty bold statement from the man who gave the world "razzmatazz".

What reason would Prine have to lie about that when the primary publicity for the song comes from the urban myth that it's about smoking pot?

Also, how likely is it that he would have written a pro-drug song when his only song that does deal with drugs is decidedly anti-drug?

Now Playing: Phil Keaggy and Sunday's Child - "Sunday's Child"

9. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Why are Beatles songs being analyzed to a Hymn Book? Beatles songs are secular music. If it offends a brother, then there is an off button. Growing up, I enjoyed Beatles music, and never really thought about disecting it in light of Christian music.

10. Baptist in Richmond

Wow: why was this thread revisited? I have two posts on this page and barely remember writing them.

[​IMG]

Mike, I hope this post finds you and yours being showered with God's Blessings. Let me say again that I very much enjoy reading your posts.

Regards,
    BiR (actually in Tennessee tonight)

11. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

Quality, not quantity.

Mike, I hope this post finds you and yours being showered with God's Blessings. Let me say again that I very much enjoy reading your posts.[/quote]

Thanks. As usual, your's are good, too.

Now Playing: Phil Keaggy and Sunday's Child - "Sunday's Child"