1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Let love be without dissimulation...

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by timothy 1769, Dec 31, 2003.

1. timothy 1769

timothy 1769 New Member

Let love be without dissimulation. Abhor that which is evil; cleave to that which is good. Be kindly affectioned one to another with brotherly love; in honour preferring one another; Not slothful in business; fervent in spirit; serving the Lord; Rejoicing in hope; patient in tribulation; continuing instant in prayer; Distributing to the necessity of saints; given to hospitality. Bless them which persecute you: bless, and curse not. Rejoice with them that do rejoice, and weep with them that weep. Be of the same mind one toward another. Mind not high things, but condescend to men of low estate. Be not wise in your own conceits. Recompense to no man evil for evil. Provide things honest in the sight of all men. If it be possible, as much as lieth in you, live peaceably with all men. Dearly beloved, avenge not yourselves, but rather give place unto wrath: for it is written, Vengeance is mine; I will repay, saith the Lord. Therefore if thine enemy hunger, feed him; if he thirst, give him drink: for in so doing thou shalt heap coals of fire on his head. Be not overcome of evil, but overcome evil with good.
    (Rom 12:9-21)

Please share your stories of seeing these verses in action. Thanks!

2. David Mark

David Mark New Member

I have a man in authority over me at work. He will even say/admit that he is a difficult person to work with. I will try to write this as if he were here and able to read this too.

With the best of intentions and out of ignorance of a policy, I made a mistake one day. He let me have all of his anger that had built up over a very bad morning for him.

I am a professional at my work. I finally learned something about the phrase "losing face" as the Orientals use. Basically, I was destroyed in an instant. I could not even continue to work that day and I considered privately resigning from my wonderful position without any complaints to anyone. I was prepared to just move on.

In the past I would have held a very deep and destructive grudge, but I had been keeping the Lord's commandments and letting them have first place in my heart.

So I fought myself and I put away the negative thoughts about him and overlooked the offense. I spoke to the Lord about it and I surprised myself when I asked the Lord to also forgive him and help him do his job better. My high regard for him continues to this day. I never belittle or speak negatively about him to my coworkers.

God has to be real. His words have to be true. Love must actually have more power than hate. Otherwise I could never live by faith.

I did it because of the commandment. Not for any other reason.

Dave

3. timothy 1769

timothy 1769 New Member

Thanks David, that's an inspiring story.

Everybody else: Come on! Share, even if it's something small. We know gobs of saved people, this shouldn't be hard. Give God the glory!

4. David Mark

David Mark New Member

Thanks Timothy,

I worried how my story would sound and how I would come across. Nevertheless, it is a good exercise and I thank you. I would like to hear some stories too.

This story is in regards to the brethren and how my mind has been changed by the two great commandments.

I re-visited a very small non-Baptist church close to my home. I can find an excessive amount of little things that bother me to no end there. However, I can also find all the major doctrinal points that I agree with. The group as a whole wont let me speak about anything I see and I am now used to that. Nevertheless, I have developed a brotherly relationship with the pastor there. We have spent much time together and he always treats me with respect and genuine honor.

There is so much more to this story, but in short, my willingness to not be offended over the minors, won to me a wonderful brother. If I had made the minors into majors, I never would have won him. This thing produces much thanks in my heart to God.

The minors that I speak of only show themselves when the whole group meets. I've never seen my friend present or make an issue of the minors to me personally. That says a lot about his character. When he and I meet, we are always finding what we agree on. This works very well for us. I could have easily missed this blessing.

Because of my attention to and major focus on the two great commandments above all else, I found a faithful, harmless, believing friend amidst a swirling chaos.

Dave