1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Let your women keep silence

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by PreachingTruth, May 8, 2007.

1. PreachingTruth

PreachingTruth New Member

The passage today is 1 Corinthians 14:34-35.

Let your women keep silence (Gr. sigao) in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak (laleo); but they are commanded to be under obedience as also saith the law. 35 And if they will learn any thing, let them ask their husbands at home: for it is a shame for women to speak (laleo) in the church.

"Feminist Christians" and other apostates will appeal to this verse in attempt to discredit Ephesians 5:22-24, Colossians 3:18, et al, by interpreting them culturally rather than literally. They ask, must we remain silent in the churches? My response: this passage does NOT restrict women from speaking (talking) in the church, but it does clearly prohibit them from teaching (over men). To 'keep silence' is to hold their peace, or to keep secret. Click Here. And 'to speak' is translated from the Greek word laleo, which according to Strong's can be defined as "to use words in order to declare one's mind and disclose one's thoughts..."

http://thesaurus.reference.com/browse/speak

Note the many synonyms of 'speak': assert, articulate, declare, advise, exhort, and so forth. When reading the passage in this context, we know women are permitted to talk in the churches, so long as they are not teaching over men (Read 1 Timothy 2:12), debating, etc.

The meaning of this passage is clear: women should not be speaking OVER men in the churches. This is not a cultural issue!

2. Brandon C. Jones

Brandon C. Jones New Member

I don't have the time to interact specifically with your OP, but I figured I'd post something today from Scot McKnight's blog that's on the greater topic of women in the ministry. There's been some interesting discussion here: http://www.jesuscreed.org/?p=2306

Lumping "feminist Christians" with "other apostates" is a tad too smug for my taste. Tone it down some. Trust me there are others who would never label themselves "feminist Christians" who disagree with you on this matter, and the "apostate" label does not fit them or "feminist Christians."

BJ

3. johnp.

johnp. New Member

Hello PT.

I don't understand this authority thing, no man should teach over man either. It sounds as if someone is boss.
    If a man teaches falshood in Church he should not be listened to. If anyone speaks the word of God they must be listened to. It is for us to decide what is light or dark, our conscience, not authority, rules us. :)

To the law and to the testimony! If they do not speak according to this word, they have no light of dawn. Is 8:20. If they do speak according to scripture I'd even listen to my wife. :)

I think - apostate john? :)

4. Rufus_1611

Rufus_1611 New Member

Certainly the term "apostate" does fit them, at least to some degree. An apostate rebels or revolts against the authority and teachings of a religion. A Christian faith that is based on the Word of God for all matters of faith and practice, is quite clear about the roles of the two genders. When women or men choose the Rockefeller teachings / agenda on feminism over the Biblical teachings, then they are apostate, at least relative to this issue, and if they will ignore or spin the Bible on one issue, then chances are they will on other issues as well. To make your point you point us to a link of a chat forum that is a "friend" of one of the most apostate Christian sect/group/movements/whatever in existence today, the Emergent Church. These teachings and this group is quite definitely a component of...

"Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day shall not come, except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition;" - 2 Thessalonians 2:3

...thus, it would not be a surprise that a friend of this apostasy, would speak favorably of apostate teaching.

#4 Rufus_1611, May 8, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2007
  5. PreachingTruth

If a woman believes she is called to hold authority over a man, she is an apostate. One cannot be inspired to rebel against the Word of God. It is that simple.

1 Timothy 2:12 says, But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence. Seems pretty clear to me.

6. johnp.

johnp. New Member

Women's status is the same as ours. Rom 8:14 because those who are led by the Spirit of God are sons of God.

Unless women are not led by the Spirit of God. GAL 3:26 You are all sons of God through faith in Christ Jesus...

Gal 3:28 There is neither Jew nor Greek, slave nor free, male nor female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus.

Gal 3:29 If you belong to Christ, then you are Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise.

And the promise was a son.

john.

7. PreachingTruth

And yet the Scriptures establish fundamental distinctions between men and women, pertaining to duties within the family structure as well as church organization. Ephesians 5:22-24, for example: Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as unto the Lord. 23 For the husband is the head (kephale) of the wife, even as Christ is the head of the church: and he is the saviour of the body. 24 Therefore as the church is subject (hupotasso) unto Christ, so let the wives be to their own husbands in every thing.

The Word is simple to understand for people who are willing to listen. You quote scripture out of context, ignoring what you do not like.

8. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

A woman led by the Spirit of God will be in submission to the word of God.

1 Corinthians 14:37 If any man think himself to be a prophet, or spiritual, let him acknowledge that the things that I write unto you are the commandments of the Lord.

9. johnp.

johnp. New Member

My scriptures are just as good as yours. :) The Word is simple to understand for people who are willing to listen. :) Gal 3:28 There is neither Jew nor Greek, slave nor free, male nor female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus.

Eph 5:31 "For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh." 32 This is a profound mystery--but I am talking about Christ and the church. 33 However, each one of you also must love his wife as he loves himself, and the wife must respect her husband.

Gen 3:16 Your desire will be for your husband, and he will rule over you.
    A practice continued in the Church I see.

john. :)

10. johnp.

johnp. New Member

A women led by the Holy Spirit is regarded as a son of God. A promotion in some men's eyes. :)

john.

11. Isaiah40:28

Isaiah40:28 New Member

The problem I have with this view is that is seems to ignore role distinctions.
    Do not the man and the woman have different roles in the household of God?
    These differences in roles are not a superior vs. inferior but designed to bring order and meaning to God's family.
    Is not the Son equal to the Father, yet His role is that of a Son and not a Father?
    The complementarian view holds this distinction does it not?

12. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ah....the more things change, the more they stay the same. :laugh:

13. rbell

rbell Active Member

SCARLETT!!! Be QUIET.

:laugh:

14. Rufus_1611

Rufus_1611 New Member

Good to see you Scarlett! I was thinking about starting a "women shouldn't wear pants" thread soon...you game? ;)

15. johnp.

johnp. New Member

Seems pretty clear to me too, so do my scriptures. :) A women led by the Holy Spirit is regarded as a son of God. :)

What is this authority thing? She has plenty of peers that went before her if she has been called by God.

So men can can they? :)

Viva la difference! :) She can keep the washing up. We are not brute beasts unable to adapt. Adam and Eve received the same commands - GE 1:28 God blessed them and said to them, "Be fruitful and increase in number; fill the earth and subdue it. Rule over the fish of the sea and the birds of the air and over every living creature that moves on the ground."

I told you my scriptures are as good as yours.

john.

16. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ah...leave it to a tread about women remaining silent to bring ScarettO out of hiding.:laugh: :wavey:

17. rbell

rbell Active Member

I think starting a "women in pants keep silent" thread would really stir things up.

18. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

If you want to see 30 pages come and go quick...do "women in pants keep silent, and go to church every time the doors are open". This is the "it" conversation here lately :D

19. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

This authority thing is the basic problem that mankind has had since Adam. Man has trouble with someone else telling him what to do, and women are no exception. The fact that women are positionally sons of God (if they are obedient to scriptures like the one in question) is not a denial of gender roles and the spiritual headship of the man. Women are just as much in line for the inheritance as men, which is the kingdom of God, during which time we are told that they neither marry nor are given in marriage, but will be like the angels. But for now, women are commanded to be in submission to their husbands and to be silent in the church.

20. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hi, Rufus....I'm just passing through today and I couldn't resist a little giggle. I'll be back for good sometime this summer. And I just might be ready then for round #2 of the "pants" wars, but you'll have to find James and tell him to bring his anti-spandex argument to the thread. :laugh: :laugh:

Rbell, you know better than that! You couldn't shut my lips up with an industrial sized stapler! Ha! :applause:

I'll see you guys later on this summer......be ready....just be ready!