1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Let's have a Testimony!

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by steaver, Jan 18, 2012.

1. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    You are spot on DHK :thumbs: Good exposition!

We must take into consideration the FULL counsel we have in God's Word. It is with absolute certainty we can elimminate water baptism, I can't see how anyone can hold that view in light of scripture. Amniotic fluid? Doubt it.

It is most definitly representing the Word of God.

(Eph 5:26) "That he might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word, "

The Holy Spirit, which is the catalyist for regeneration is called the "Living Water" as well.

The water in this passage can only be the word of God according to supporting text.

2. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    UH yes it does What does Paul say?
    Baptism is that circumcision done by Christ. What does Mark say
    What does Paul again say?
    How about Peter
    Thus Peter compares the water of flood to the baptism (water). Because God saved 8 pepole through the flood waters. And Paul again to titus
    thus saved us through the same washing of rebirth as peter speaks of ie baptism.

3. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    This is your church?

I'm not sure I understand what this doctrine is. This basically sounds like the aspect of Calvinism that teaches God regenerates first so that one becomes a child, this being apart from any choice by the receiver. Is this what you mean?

4. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    According to first Peter water means baptism

5. Walter

Walter Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I cannot say I have ever stopped believing since becoming a Christian but I recently heard a lecture -on Youtube- by Professor Bart D. Ehrman, a former Baptist pastor and teacher, who now considers himself an agnostic. Are you familiar with him?

#45 Walter, Jan 20, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2012
  6. billwald

billwald New Member

Ehrman is a credentialed historian who make good sense.

7. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

1. Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and thou shalt be saved.
    2. (Rom 10:9) That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.
    3. (Rom 10:13) For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.
    4. (Rom 5:1) Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ:
    5. (Rom 1:16) For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek.
    (Rom 1:17) For therein is the righteousness of God revealed from faith to faith: as it is written, The just shall live by faith.
    Baptism and circumcision have nothing in common. Circumcision is a Jewish rite and has no place in Christianity. Baptism does not replace it.
    (Mar 16:15) And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.
    --Preaching the gospel, and then believing it is what saves.
    (Mar 16:16) He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.
    --He that believes is saved.
    --He that believes not is damned. Notice that it does not say: He that is not baptized is damned.
    (1Pe 1:23) Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever.
    (1Pe 3:20) Which sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water.
    1. Notice that the water did not save; it destroyed. It destroyed everyone in the world. It never saved anyone.
    2. God saved, not by water, but by an Ark.
    3. The Ark was a type of Christ. It is Christ that saves; not water. That is the lesson that Peter was giving.

8. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

In what parallel universe is going from teaching the true gospel to agnostic "good sense" :confused:

9. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

In billwald land.

10. Moriah

Moriah New Member

Believe in Jesus with certainty, no doubting. Get Jesus’ teachings, from the Bible, and do what he says to do, even if you do not understand why you are to do something, just do it. Jesus says he will reveal himself to those who obey him. Jesus says the Father and he will make their home with those who obey him. Jesus says those who obey him are the ones who love him.

Consider carefully John 17:8, Proverbs 3:5-6, and John 14:23.

#50 Moriah, Jan 21, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2012
  11. Moriah

Moriah New Member

JarJo,

Maybe you will like to read something I wrote about the saved...

The scriptures tell us that before God made the world and all creation, he made the plan for salvation through Jesus Christ (Acts 2:23; 1 Pet 1:20). From the scriptures, we also learn that God made us with the ability to choose right and wrong, and that he knew we would sin (Eph 1:4; Jere 1:5; Psalm 139:1-6). God also knew that we who do want to obey would not be able to stop sinning against him without sending us our Savior Jesus, and the indwelling of the Holy Spirit (Isa 64:5; Roma 5:6; 7:18, 19; 8:9).

The Bible tells us why God saves those he saves and not others. Those who God saves want to know him more than they want anything else (Jere 29:13; Deut 4:29; 1 Chr 28:9; John 12:25; Mark 8:35; Luke 14:26). Those saved humbled themselves and admit they are sinners, and they forgive others (2 Chr 7:14; James 4:10; Acts 26:20; Matt 5:7; 6:14, 15). They love God, they believe, obey, confess and repent (John 14:23; Roma 10:10; Acts 2:38; Acts 5:32; 10:44; 11:14; 19:2). They called out to the Lord to save them (Roma 10:13). They hear the truth and want to be reconciled to God so much so that they get forceful about it. They do not give up, give out, or give in. They stop doubting. They submit to God. They resist the devil (Matt 11:12; Luke 8:4-15; 11:7-8; 16:16; John 14:9; 20:27; James 4:7). They trust God and are perfected in his love (Psalm 118:6; Prov 3:5; Jere 17:7; 1 John 4:12; 4:18; Roma 5:5; 8:15). They live on every word of God (Matt 4:4; 2 Pet 1:5; 3:18). They overcome this world by faith in Jesus (Gene 32:28; 1 John 5:5; Reve 21:7).

He is your praise, he is your God (Deut 10:21). God wants all to turn to him; he wants all saved. God wants men to seek him, and he is not far from each one of us (Acts 17:27; 2 Pet 3:9; John 3:17; Ezek 18:23; 1 Tim 2:3, 4; 4:10; Titus 2:11; 1 John 2:2). The Spirit and the bride say, "Come!” And let him who hears say, "Come!” Whoever is thirsty, let him come; and whoever wishes, let him take the free gift of the water of life (Reve 22:17).

12. JarJo

JarJo New Member

Thank you for the guidance. Sounds like I'm on the right path, but need to keep working on doing what God says and increasing faith.

13. justmichael

justmichael New Member

Soon after I got out of the Army, I was lost. My life had no meaning or direction. I was living home with mom, drinking, smoking dope and chasing every girl I could find. I had a friend named Mike who was every bit like me, we were best friends at the time and even had almost matching cars, He had a Trans Am and I had a Firebird. We were Mike and Mike.
    On this day, it was a wonder spring day in Georgia and for whatever reason we did not take one of our cars to go wondering, we took his motorcycle. We decided to go to this girls house out in the country. We rode on back country roads without helmets to get there and after we took care of our business we left and headed back into town.
    Griffin back in that day was a pretty busy town at night. There was nothing for young ones to do. Everyone would cruise the strip and hang out at business parking lots after they had closed and the strip was very congested with cruising teens. Teens from other counties would come and partake in the activities and social life of cruising and the hangouts.
    As Mike and I were getting closer to town, I was on the back of the bike as Mike drove, We decided it would be a good idea to put helmets on our heads in case we ran into any police so we would not get ticketed. This was at the intersection of Taylor and 6th street.
    At the very next intersection, the oncoming traffic had already had a green light and the turn signal. As we approached we got the green light. But who would have thought that a teenage boy would be in that turning lane and turned directly in front of us. We hit him head on. The impact created enough force to put Mike into the window and I was shot up like a catapult throwing a rock. I was flying through the air with the greatest of ease, That daring young man on the flying trapeze.
    I went over 3 lanes of traffic and one row of parallel parking spaces and landed ever so softly on my back on the sidewalk in front of First baptist Church. I was lucky not to have landed into oncoming traffic. It was like at the apex of my fall that something had a hold on me and gently sat me down. I'm not sure if I was knocked out or dazed, everything happened so fast. Immediately there were 3 strangers over me asking if I was OK. I sprang to my feet as nothing had happened and I seen a pick up truck with Mike in the back and they were saying, “Get in! We are going to the Hospital!”. As we were riding to the Hospital in back of this pick up truck, the free flowing blood from where Mike's face had been introduced to the windshield of the CRX, was landing on me from the wind blowing it.
    At the Emergency Room, they placed us into separate rooms. The Doctors examined me and released me, they could find nothing wrong with me. But Mike was not so fortunate, he had a deep cut they went almost the entire length of his face and required numerous stitches.
    The following day as I had a chance to go back to the site of the accident and to the collision yard. I realized how lucky I was. My helmet was crushed like a hard boiled egged that had been dropped on the ground and the vehicles were totaled.
    As I begin to think about what had happened, something super natural was there to protect me and it was the Angels of God that had caught me in mid air and gently laid me onto the sidewalk in front of the Church. He had something more in store for me.
    A few years later, I got married and had Children of my own and would you believe, I was Baptized, raised my kids there, taught 6th Grade Sunday School at that very same Church where God's Angels had placed me.

14. justmichael

justmichael New Member

The Bird Man

When my youngest daughter was a toddler around the age of 4, she would play in her room. She would often run into the living room or the bedroom where my wife or myself would be and be all excited about the “Bird Man”. She would say the “Bird Man! The Bird Man!”, all excited and pointing to her room. We would go and check her room and never saw anything and passed it off as the vivid imagination of a child and really never gave a second thought about it.
    Her room she shared with her brother at the time and had a bunk bed, TV, Book shelf and a toy box. One evening while everyone was gathered in the bedroom and sitting on the bottom bunk watching some kids show on TV. My daughter got all excited and started pointing to the top bunk screaming, “The Bird Man! The Bird Man!” No one else seen the bird man except for her. But at that moment I thought, “This must be her guardian angel”. How else would a toddler describe an Angel.
    My daughter does not remember that time but it's something that I remember like it was yesterday and probably will never forget. The story of the Man with Wings, The Bird Man.
    “See that you do not despise one of these little ones. For I tell you that their angels in heaven always see the face of my Father in heaven.” Matthew 18:10
    Angels are actually commanded by God to “encamp all around us” and keep us from falling, getting hurt, who have been with us and will be with us.
    “Keep on loving one another as brothers and sisters. Do not forget to show hospitality to strangers, for by so doing some people have shown hospitality to angels without knowing it.” Hebrews 13:1-2
    Who knows, your Bird man might be the very next person you meet.

15. Moriah

Moriah New Member

Thank you, JarJo. I do not hear those words often it means a lot. I sure think you are on the right path. I believe God will increase your faith. Never give up.

16. Moriah

Moriah New Member

I really enjoy hearing others testimonies. Thanks for telling yours.