1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Let's talk about Ellen White - SDA prophet

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by targus, Feb 4, 2010.

1. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Not any more than "behold I come quickly" makes you a contemporary with John the revelator.

in Christ,

Bob

2. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Here is Marcia's first example of a problem with Ellen White

Numbers 11

Counsels on Diet and Foods: P 148
    [/quote]

Marcia - where exactly are you claiming there is a problem??

in Christ,

Bob

3. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Marcia's second example of a problem with Ellen White in the 1800's is from a book entitled "Christ's Object Lessons".

On page 155 Ellen White deals with the current issue (in the 1800's) of something called a "holy flesh" cult that believed that they were "beyond temptation" and that they had reached a state of "holy flesh".

The term "saved" in this 1800's context as used by the "holy flesh" cult - did not mean what it means today. It meant "beyond the reach of temptation".

Ellen White condemned that spirit and argued instead for the Bible doctrine on Perseverance!

And the careful read will also note that she explicitly affirms today's version of "saved" saying back then that the saints could "KNOW" that they are fully accepted by Christ.

Notice how she affirms this assurance of salvation for the saved saint (SM refers to Volume 1 of the book Selected Messages)

Here is another example of her view on this -- given in a letter to a friend of hers.

in Christ,

Bob

4. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    In Phil 2 Christ is said to have "emptied himself" to enter into human flesh.

in Matt 24:36 Christ states that even He did not know the time of the 2nd coming.

In John 12 Christ said He could of His own self do nothing and that His words were not his own - but the FAther's Words.

In Matt 4 Christ is tempted to use His own Creator God power to turn stone into bread and provide food after 40 days of hunger. Christ refused.

Marcia's 3rd example - refers to the fact that He also did not know the results of the Cross by divine vision - He knew it only by trust in the Father.

But in ALL these cases Christ as God COULD have chosen to know it - but his mission on earth was to lay aside God power and God's infinite knowledge - to walk on earth as we must - in human flesh - subject to the pain and suffering that we live with. So that means that even if he had had no food or water for 40 days and was extremely hungry -- He still would not rely on "self" - but would hold to faith in His Father's provisions as we must.

in Christ,

Bob

5. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Interesting.. no actual quotes... so What does it actually say? Is there really a contradiction here -- or is the web site Marcia is listing - relying on the fact that the reader simply wont look into the "details"??

Desire of Ages says that Judas "hardened his heart against repentance" instead of yielding to conviction.

Desire of Ages 645 -

compared to Evangelism 275 the conviction concept in Ev 275 includes the "fountains of the soul broken up" and "every barrier that causes disunion and alienation" broken down.

Obviously the statements in the Desire of Ages do NOT say of Judas that every "barrier that caused division and disunion" in the heart of Judas "was broken down". In fact Desire of Ages states that Judas "hardened his heart" against it. And it makes that statement in the very area that the Web site Marcia quotes - tells us to look for the exact opposite information.

in Christ,

Bob

6. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    This is a fun game so far. :type::godisgood:

7. targus

targus New Member

Apples and jumbo jets.

No comparison at all.

So the explanation is...

Enoch should be Adam - typo.

Enoch should be Methuselah - typo.

And now "just before" is comparable to "I come quickly" ?

Is this how SDA's reconcile Ellen White's errors with Scripture?

Simply say, "Sorry, that's a typo"? :laugh::laugh::BangHead:

I am unconvinced and I doubt that you have convinced anyone else.

I will try to help you with your blinders by starting a new Ellen White thread addressing a different error.

8. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Indeed. You have "I come quickly" as the statement covering 2000 years.

You have "just before" as a statement covering less than 700 years at a time when men lived for almost 1000 years.

hmmm - not the silver bullet you were hoping for is it!

You seem to be majoring in minors at this point. I assumed from all the smoke and fury you announced for this - that you had something a bit more substantive.

Oh well - to each his own.

in Christ,

Bob

9. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    This thread is about as generic as it gets - you titled it "let's talk about Ellen White".

How in the world does it prevent you from saying whatever you wish?

I find your logic illusive - I must admit.

in Christ,

Bob

10. targus

targus New Member

Typical SDA tactic.

Putting words in the mouth of others.

Please show me where I have said the I been prevented from saying whatever I wish?

I am starting an new thread so that my questions to you about specific Ellen White error is not lost in the ponderous cut and paste - multi color - multi font - bolded - italicized - underlined claptrap that you want to use to obscure the discussion that I wish to have.

So your explanation to date on this particular error is "typo".

When was this typo discovered?

Can you document it?

How do you know that these are typo's and not errors?

Did Ellen White correct them?

Did she make statements declaring them as typo's?

Can you prove any of it?

Or did you simply accept the SDA "explanation" that they are "typo's"?

#30 targus, Feb 5, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 5, 2010
  11. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    your whining takes the form of "I don't read so I don't know what I am talking about".

When you talk about the preflood world of Adam - Noah and make wild claims to having actually read what Ellen White wrote on that preflood time period -- you are claiming to have read the BOOK "Patriarchs and Prophets" (at the very least) where we find over 100 pages talking about the saints of the preflood world that you imagine you have a leg to stand on.

More related preflood material is also presented in a number of other volumes - LOTS of text dealing with the life of Adam, and Enoch and Noah. None of it saying "God showed me that Adam, Enoch and Noah were all contemporaries". ALL of it affirming the fact that Enoch lives only 300 years on earth and that Enoch's son lives for almost 1000 years and that at the year of the death of Methuselah - the flood takes place.

And THIS is where you think you have a case about Enoch, Adam and Noah being contemporary??

Hello!

There is a reason that no SDA believes the little story you tell -- based on two editorial typos found in various news style publications over decades of time.

(Just stating the obvious here - but since you seem to enjoy that. My aim is to please.)

in Christ,

Bob

#31 BobRyan, Feb 5, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 5, 2010
  12. targus

targus New Member

Like a said - typical SDA tactic.

Where did I ever make the claim to have read her book?

Having been made aware of her error - which you now want to pass of as "typo's" - why would I ever care to read her entire book?

I don't need to read your false prophet's books to know how long Enoch lived.

I have the Bible.

Why isn't the Bible enough for SDA's?

Uhhhh... HELLO!! yourself.

It is not I but your false prophet that thinks that Enoch and Noah were contemporaries.

SHE WROTE IT !!!

BTW - you are the one saying ADAM.

She said ENOCH.

Let's stick with what she ACTUALLY WROTE instead of "making up" a supposed typo.

And who published those "news style publications"?

Hint - three letters S, D, and A.

Just stating the obvious here - but since you seem to enjoy that. My aim is to please. ( like that line so I repeated it for your benefit.)

So then please - tell me when these particular "typo's" where discovered and when did Ellen White or anyone else print a correction.

Ellen White's writings are "on par" with Scripture for SDA's so it would seem to me that the "typo" argument would have been distributed long ago.

And no - it is not necessary for me to read volumes and volumes of Ellen White's writing to discuss a particular error.

The error speaks for itself.

One error is enough to prove that she is a false prophet.

13. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

Yes - she claims to have had inspired visions and dreams on all of those topics. In a number of cases those visions took place in a public meetings where there were doctors present.

At those times she would cease to breathe - sometimes for more than an hour.

In another example while in vision she stood up - held large family Bible over her head and pointing to scripture after scripture - quoted texts specific to a particular subject that was being debated by those attending. When she came out of vision - the vision itself was on an entirely different topic.

in Christ,

Bob

14. targus

targus New Member

Dude, you really did drink the kool-aid didn't you?

15. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Yes, that is what the SDA believes. White is treated as an authoritative source, like the bible. SDA people will deny this but it is how their church officially views White.

White also said that those who worship on Sunday will have the "mark of the Beast" when Jesus returns. Iow, if you are worshiping on Sunday when Jesus comes back, that's bad news for you!

There is also the matter of the Investigative Judgment. After Jesus did not return as predicted by Wm Miller in 1844, they came up with an explanation: this is the year that Jesus entered the heavenly sanctuary to "investigate" believers to see if they merit salvation. White went along with this and endorsed it. This is a centerpiece of SDA theology.

I recommend the website I posted before and this one:
    http://www.watchman.org/profile/sdapro.htm
    http://www.watchman.org/profile/sdapro.htm

There is no assurance of salvation by grace alone.

16. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Also, see
    http://www.cephasministry.com/7theday-cultic-doctrines-of-seventh-day-adventists.html
    While some consider the SDA cultic, other Christians consider it heterodox - a mixture of orthodoxy with aberrant teachings. It seems that a large part of those aberrant doctrines have come from Ellen White.

17. targus

targus New Member

It must have been really hard to quote Scripture while not breathing for more than an hour. :laugh:

This is the most insane nonesense that I have ever seen on the BB. :laugh:

Did this happen before or after she astro-projected to Jupiter to vist the giant aliens. :smilewinkgrin:

18. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    1. You realize of course - "that makes no sense". For any denomination to flourish and grow they have to "teach" whatever doctrine they want to promote. "denying a doctrine" is not a "funny kinda way to promote it".

2. The actual "fact" is that Adventists accept the 1Cor 12 teaching on spiritual gifts that includes the gift of prophecy - as stated in scripture.

Prophecy is "by definition" a message from God. But the messages of all prophets are tested "sola scriptura" -- and when that prophet claims that the message is "via divine revelation through the gift of prophecy" then testing that message also tests whether the prophet is a true prophet or not.

Hence in 1 1Cor 14 - Paul says that prophecy "is a sign for believers not for unbelievers".

Rev 14 says that the saints at the end of time are those who "keep the commandments" (Interesting that Paul says "but what matters is keeping the commandments of God" 1Cor 7:19)

Adventists (including Ellen White) do not teach that those who keep Sunday instead of honoring the 4th commandment today "have the Mark of the Beast".

However Adventists do predict that at some point in the future God will raise this issue at a world-wide level and that all will be lead to study the Bible on that subject.

If that future act of God never takes place -- then clearly the SDA prediction in that reguard will be proven wrong.

To be accurate - Adventist teaching is that at Jesus ascension into heaven He entered the heavenly sanctuary "once for all" and at that time He began His Ministry as our "High Priest" (Hebrews chapters 7 through 9 make that very obvious).

The Oct 22, 1844 event you mention above is about the close of the 2300 prophetic days of Daniel 8 where Christ enters the Most Holy Place of that Heavenly Sanctuary for the antitypical "Day of Atonement" phase of the sanctuary service.

Assurance of salvation is as always - the same as we see in Rom 8:16.

in Christ,

Bob

19. targus

targus New Member

I's still waiting to hear how she quoted Scripture while not breathing for an hour. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

20. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Here is the link to "actual" Adventist doctrine.
    http://www.adventist.org/beliefs/fundamental/index.html

The careful reader will note from the statements there that - no Adventist doctrine comes from Ellen White -

Arguably there is one exception to that statement.

In the 1880's Ellen White began publishing very explicit statements in favor of the doctrine of the Trinity. Until that time the Adventist denomination was heavily influenced by statements from James White strongly opposing the Trinity doctrine. As a result of Ellen White's endorsement of the Trinity in the 1880's and 1890's many Adventist took a closer look a the Bible support for the Trinity doctrine and then accepted that teaching. It now shows up in that list of doctrinal statements -- but even so, the statement uses no quote at all from Ellen White to make the case for the Trinity.

Other than that - nothing in that list has her fingerprint on it as source or author or "proving authority".

in Christ,

Bob