1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Letter from CBT

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by TomVols, Oct 22, 2009.

1. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Did any of my fellow ETS/SBL members here get the invitation from Doug Moo to meet with him to share ideas about the new NIV? I think it's a good step. Let's hope it's not just window dressing. I see no reason to think it is. Good step. But the proof will be in the pudding, as always.

2. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why would you even mention that it might be "window dressing" in the first place? There's nothing like prejudging a case.

Do you respect Doug Moo?

3. TomVols

TomVols New Member

I have no reason to doubt the sincerity of Doug Moo and the CBT. I trust the CBT and welcome some changes that have been made as some fresh thinking from some new voices will be a welcome breath of fresh air. I am disappointed that some TNIV folks I know think this is "window dressing" at best (that's where the phrase came from) and...well...something worse at worst. I know there are some TNIV folks who still have hurt feelings, but we have to move past all that. We need to let the CBT do its work and then judge the final product. I hope there will be transparency all the way through. I am dismayed that people are already trashing the selection of Bill Mounce for the CBT simply prima facie. He is a good Greek scholar and his only sin is that he worked on the ESV. Somehow, I think the blood of Christ can forgive him :laugh:

I am disappointed I wont be at SBL or ETS to have a chance to weigh in. I hope that some email or letters will be received. I hope serious scholars will get to be heard.

Do you have ill feelings towards Moo?

4. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good.

I have appreciated the ministries of Bill Mounce and his father. I forward to Modays with Mounce. Even before he was selected to work on the updated NIv he had a number of positive things to say about the TNIV.

Of course not. God has blessed the Church with his superb scholarship. I have exchanged emails with him.

I wish more pro-ESV'ers would actually listen to him. They need to read his articles on Bible translations.

5. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Some on the rabid TNIV side refuse to forgive him for his criticisms of the TNIV. I think that's a mistake.
    I don't know (personally) any "pro-ESVers" who are anti Moo.

6. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    They are too touchy by being against Mounce being on the 2011 NIV translation team.

I don't know any either. But they pro-ESV'ers (which are mostly in the anti-TNIV camp)need to read his articles on translational issues as well as those by Carson and other respected TNIV supporters.

7. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Agreed. But some out there (on the TNIV side) have ancedotally told me that they think Mounce is there because he kissed the TNIV ring and is now on the Zondervan payroll. I think that's unfair. Nothing keeps someone of one philosophy from working on a translation that utilizes another. Immediately I think of the NLT. One of the OT editors, Daniel Block, loathed the DE method and was a staunch advocate of the NASB and member of the ESV translation team. (I know...you hate him already) :laugh: Yet there he is working on the NLT. Why can't this be for the NIV revision?

Actually, this is not new. Didn't Dr. Bock work on the ESV and also lend himself to the TNIV, NET, etc.?

I digress.