1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Letter from Ingrid

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by J.D., Mar 13, 2008.

1. nodak

nodak Active Member
    Site Supporter

rbell--did you ever notice whenever this topic comes up, those in favor of tradtional services are called pharisees and unloving and wedded to the past and all sorts of unsavory terms? While those in favor of contemporary services are seen as non judgemental and hip and loving?

Why? Seems to me to be a double standard at work here.

2. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

No double standard at all. Those who are more contemporary are called liberals, man centred, unbiblical, worldly, fleshly, shallow, etc etc.

How about we recognise soul liberty and stop the name calling on both sides?

#62 NaasPreacher (C4K), Mar 15, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2008
  3. Zenas

Zenas Active Member

I really doubt if anyone on this board wrote the letter or even knows Ingrid. She has just done such a masterful job of articulating the problem. When I read each paragraph of her letter, I exclaimed to myself, "That's how I feel too!" So yes, JD and I and others do know what Ingrid is thinking because we are thinking the same things.

4. rbell

rbell Active Member

But where's the fun in that? :eek:

[/sarcasm]

5. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

Especially since virtually all of the complaints in the letter were circumstantial issues.
    I prefer to wear a tie to church. I am in the minority at my church. But nobody cares either way.

As for "songs on the wall" they once did not have a printing press.
    before that, no hymnals either. So how far back should we go?

While I would agree that there are MANY problems in today's churches, I would caution those who would write a letter like this to remember that these are merely side effects of a much more serious problem.

What if Ingrid finds a church that sings nothing but old hymns out of old hymnals by people dressed up in suits and ties? Will that guarantee a church worshiping in Spirit and in Truth?
    That majority of churches I know of like that are legalistic churches full of Pharisees.

in reaction to that type we get the free for all that she is complaining about.

If we were to get the focus back on Christ and Him crucified we might be able to take our eyes off of ourselves and either stop seeing how great we are because of our high standards, or give up our rebellious desire for complete personal liberty.

I am afraid that both sides of this argument will cause one ot fall off of the tight rope.
    and it is the same distance to the ground on either side.

6. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

Oh,and no matter how well we dress or how much we think our "heart is right" and how much liberty we think we have, it is only God's grace that will make our worship acceptable.

7. Joe

Joe New Member

I agree, we have no reason to believe the letter is not valid.

With the volital threads about dress attire, would someone be willing to stick their neck out and say what the threat is exactly? Hopefully, no one will attack another for their honestly.
    I could almost identify the *look* in their eyes before they spoke to me of their concern about our teens clothing attire in church. I knew what their complaint would be by the look in their eyes as they approached. Yet often the reasons given me felt more like "excuses". Many became flustered while explaining their concerns, or maybe it's just my faulty interpretation.

#67 Joe, Mar 15, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2008