1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Lewis vs Christ

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Mark Osgatharp, Dec 11, 2005.

1. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

So a requirement for salvation is good theology?

2. whatever

whatever New Member

Why do you suppose Paul wrote the book of Romans, explaining how salvation works, to those who were already saved? Seems like a waste of time if you are correct.

3. Mark Osgatharp

Mark Osgatharp New Member

Of course, unless you think a man can be saved by belief in a false gospel. The Bible says we are saved by belief of the truth, not belief in an error.

A man can be wrong about a lot of things and yet be saved. But he can't be wrong about what it takes to be saved and be saved.

Mark Osgatharp

4. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

So what points of theology must one have nailed down in order to be saved?

5. Mark Osgatharp

A. The word of God reminds us of how we were saved so as to confirm and strenghen us in the faith, and to cause us to rejoice in Christ who saved us.

B. However, most of what is written in Romans has nothing to do with "how to be saved". It has far more to do with how the saints are to walk well pleasing before the Lord.

Mark Osgatharp

6. whatever

whatever New Member

Marcia,

That was written in a fictional story. It's probably not best to derive a writer's theology from what his fictional characters do or have done to them.

There is much of Lewis' theology that I disagree with. I enjoy his writing though, even where I disagree with him. I have found much of his work to be helpful, so I use what I can and leave the rest alone.

7. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I think believing in the true God and true Jesus Christ would be essentials vs. belief in false gods. But Lewis has a character who serves Tash (a false god called the opposite to Aslan, acc. to Aslan) being accepted by Aslan.

As I stated in my post on p. 4, God condemns the worship of false gods, yet in "The Last Battle," Aslan considers service to Tash as service to himself.

I think there are 2 issues going on here in this thread -- one is whether Lewis was a believer (which is really the topic of the other thread), and the other concerns the beliefs of Lewis, particularly inclusivism. I think that Lewis was probably saved, or at the very least, we just don't now. To me, that is not the issue and I'm not even interested in such a discussion. What I think is important is to discuss and debate some of Lewis' beliefs that seem to go against the Bible, such as inclusivism.

If service to and worship of Tash, a false god, is okay, then where does that leave God's denouncement of false gods?

8. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    This thread reminds me of a group of Christians forming a circle, placing one of their own in the middle, aiming their rifles, and then someone yells, "Fire!". :rolleyes:

9. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    And after finishing off brother Lewis's beliefs perhaps we can all turn our attention to some of the beliefs of every poster on the Baptist Board that seem to go against the Bible.

I imagine that would be just as fruitful and edifying as this thread has been. :rolleyes:

10. whatever

whatever New Member

How odd that so many of us use the "Romans Road" to show the lost how to be saved. The first 11 chapters (68.75%) deal with the need for and provision of salvation, and what it means and what it doesn't mean, and what all comes along with salvation. Then chapters 12-16 (31.25%) deal with how we who have been so gloriously saved should now present ourselves to God as living sacrifices, and what that looks like. That's an awful lot of material explaining in detail things that they already had to know in order to have already been saved.

11. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

And after finishing off brother Lewis's beliefs perhaps we can all turn our attention to some of the beliefs of every poster on the Baptist Board that seem to go against the Bible.

I imagine that would be just as fruitful and edifying as this thread has been. :rolleyes:
    </font>[/QUOTE]I think this is a very unfair statement, Ken. We are supposed to test all things -- especially beliefs espoused by man.

It doesn't matter if it's Lewis' inclusivism, the issue I was referring to is inclusivism, period. I don't care if it's from Lewis or whoever -- that's not the point and I thought that was clear.

The Narnia movie is bringing a focus on Lewis' works, and there is nothing wrong with bringing up this issue.

12. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Frankly, I find it reprehensible that apparently some on this board have designated themselves the "salvation police".

13. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Well, I'm not one of them.

However, we are called to test doctrines, and that is what I've been discussing.

14. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Salvation police? Nope. Fruit inspectors. Read the testimony and teaching of a man (esp a Theologian) and pretty clear to see what he was trusting in for salvation. Sadly. We can NEVER know his heart; just evaluating his work.

To blindly say WE are evil for "judging" is foolishness. Last I read "Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God; because many false prophets have gone out into the world."

15. mioque

mioque New Member

dr. Bob
    "Cannot for the life of me imagine WHY anyone wants to make CS Lewis into something he was not!! He was an English/Roman Catholic, not an evangelical who believed the Gospel like we do. "
    "
    That's actually a fascinating question.
    Why would a large faction of Conservative Americanstyle Evangelicals (the very essence of Low Church Christianity), embrace the work of Lewis (very much the quintessential High Church Anglican*)?
    I suspect it's the combination of the story of his conversion, followed by the universal success of the books he wrote afterwards.
    Lewis has been the last universally sucessfull Christian author in the English speaking world.
    After him Christian authors have not performed well outside of the Christian niche market.
    Left Behind sold millions, but almost all of it's buyers were pre-tribbers already.

*Which is not the same as Roman Catholicism by the way. Just compare the way problems are solved in the Roman Catholic influenced Lord of the Rings and in the Anglican influenced The Chronicles of Narnia.
    In Narnia the Christ figure solves the main problem of the setting.
    In Middle Earth the Christ Figure inspires others into solving the main problem of the setting.

16. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    You are free to disagree with this Tash/Aslan fictional imagery and possible analogies to reality. I was simply using it to show how Lewis' inclusivism doesn't necessarily require a rejection of what the non-Christian already knew as Bunyon was suggesting Lewis meant.

Obviously this story doesn't make inclusivism any more right or biblical. It is just useful to get a glimpse of what Lewis' inclusivism looked like.

17. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I mean this in the sense that I don't consider them to be any more distant from orthodoxy than many other wrong doctrines found in baptist groups like KJVO, ultra-dispensationalism, hyper-calvinism, legalism, etc. and will have to answer to God about. Or the wrong doctrines that I have believed and will believe in my lifetime.

18. Mark Osgatharp

One thing has become very apparent from this discussion - that modernism and inclusivism is alive and well in the Baptist ranks and there are even some who pass themselves off as conservative Baptist Bible believers who are tainted with it.

Mark Osgatharp

19. Humblesmith

Humblesmith Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    C. S. Lewis wrote in a time and place where liberalism was the only acceptable teaching of the day. He took tremendous pressure from his colleagues, and yes, he slipped. His later works especially were quite liberal. He is one of many in a very long line who started well, did great work, and didn't finish well. God help us all that we should not do the same.

However, that said, he was writing fiction....FICTION....as was John Bunyon and a host of others. These are simple stories designed to prove a simple point. Not much different that Jesus use of parables.....if we take every parable Jesus used and try to make it fit an exact systematic theology, we end in disaster. They aren't meant to teach the hypostatic union, or omnisapience, or the immutability of God, which if denied, end in heresy. For not even Jesus parables are purely consistent theologically.....they aren't meant to be.....they were only meant to be simple stories to illustrate a simple point. Ditto with C. S. Lewis.

Take Narnia for what it is.....a children's story to teach basic truth to a child.

20. Boanerges

Boanerges New Member

God's Truth is found in the Bible. man's "truth" is found in fables.