1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Liberal Christianity vs. Seeker Friendly Christanity

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by evangelist6589, Apr 23, 2013.

1. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is only 2 basis to have salavtion rest upon the ultimate sense though...

Either its the Will of God, or the will of man...

We choose to stand upon Will of God, but you are to stand on free will of man!

2. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

From the OP...

There is a differance of course, but I personaly would not choose to be part of either one of them. If I where to be in a situation where it HAD to be one or the other, I would choose the Seeker over the Liberal.

(dumb me, sticking with the OP!) :laugh:

#22 Alive in Christ, Apr 24, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2013
  3. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    can there ven be liberal christianity/ as i define it to refer to denying the Cross, Jesus resurrection, Bible as word of God etc!

That would better be known as heretical

4. Alive in Christ

Yeah, I certainly do consider the ultra liberal groups to be in full blown apostacy.

May God have mercy.

#24 Alive in Christ, Apr 24, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2013
  5. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Same here, repentance is required and without it not allowed to "serve" in most areas of service of our church.

6. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Pitchback

Misrepresenting my view is the stock and trade of the deceivers. I say now and have said numerous times in the past, salvation does not depend upon the man that wills but upon God, Romans 9:16. It is God who either credits our faith as righteousness or not, Romans 4:4-5. In our fallen state, we can understand and respond to the milk of the gospel, 1 Corinthians 3:1-3.

Salvation depends solely on God, and not upon the man-made doctrines of Calvinism.

7. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Liberals tear down God's word, denying its very essence, such as homosexual behavior is wrong. Beware those who redefine the meaning of words to nullify or reverse the meaning of scripture. A conservative would say a word meaning before does not mean after, and a word meaning after does not mean before. A conservative would say a word meaning choice does not mean non-choice, but a liberal would.

8. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have to agree with van here. This is a typical false argument of Calvisnists. Te idea is that if man has any part to play in coming to God then it is completely not based on the will of God but only the will of man. This is false and in fact very childish. It tears down any intelligent conversation or discussion. And is only used by those who want to end discussion and just want to be right.

The fact is if God has, in His sovereign will, set up the salvation process in such a way that he opens mens' hearts and leaves it to them to come to Him then it is still all God's will. Calvinists set up a false definition of the sovereignty of God not found in scripture.

Maybe Calvinists can use a little more integrity in their discussions so that they can be more reasonable and intelligent.

9. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And it is completely absurd to suggest that Calvinists are liberals. It is a fact that they are not. Employing methods to place others in the worst possible light in order to demean their position lacks integrity as well.

10. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Pitchback

In the modern sense, Calvinists are not liberals, but in the Classic sense they are. They interpret scripture liberally and unsoundly. So just a political liberals "interpret" the Constitution to nullify its freedoms, Calvinists interpret scripture to nullify election through faith in the truth.

11. Alive in Christ

This was posted...

Agreed.

12. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hogwash, just because the interpret it differently than you does not make them liberal in any sense of the word. Your comparison is weak at best. I am not sure if you are just trying to demonize them or you really do not know what a liberal is.

13. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If we boil down Revmitchell's rebuttal, we get hogwash, weak, demonize, and ignorant. No content, just yet another personal attack.

Anytime someone says scripture does not mean what it says, they are liberals making a liberal interpretation of the text, usually referring to a liberal translation. Liberal in the classic sense = Not strict or literal; loose or approximate.

#33 Van, Apr 25, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2013
  14. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And you can boil down something so far that you intentionally take out the content. Like you just did. Rather dishonest.

15. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You really think that men like calvin played fast and loose with the scriptures? that spurgeon/owens/edwards/Hodgh/etc were all commited to trying to make a defective theology?

feel free to keep on calling them those who misunderstood the bible, but would stack ANY of their knowledge of God and His bible up to yours!

16. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, they were not trying to make a defective theology, but they succeeded. When someone says choice means non-choice, that is defective. When someone says regeneration outside of being spiritually in Christ that is defective. When someone denies we are chosen through faith in the truth that is defective.

How about John 1:12-13. Does it say we believe before we are given the right to become children of God? Thus all these defective claims that regeneration occurs before we trust in Christ are liberal interpretations, playing fast and loose with scripture.

17. Alive in Christ

It just amazes me how calvinists can not see the rediculousness of thier theology.

Its almost as if they have been put under a "spell" of some sort. Like being brainwashed.

I was once a calvinist. But thier came a time when I"stepped back" so to speak, and came to grips with...just... exactally what...I...was...believing... and ADVOCATING!!

It was over at that point.

18. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have a similar story, AIC. I was raised in a Calvinist church but the doctrine was left vague. Once I started trying to defend it, I was confronted with non-Calvinists who pointed to scripture after scripture that did not mesh with Calvinism. The more I studied, the more I found Calvinism to be poured into scripture via extrapolation.

And as I have often said, it boggles the mind how others when confronted with the same scriptures, simply deny they mean what they say, and fire back with stuff like I am dishonest and mean spirited. Thus they would rather use logical fallacies, or sidestep and deflect, rather than leave Calvinism on the dust bin of history.

19. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you are going to tear someone else down it is best that you check your spelling and grammar while you are doing it.

20. Alive in Christ

Rev Mitchell posted...

Oh great. :BangHead:

The spelling police are out again. :laugh::laugh::

Brother, we are not writing resumes here. Trust me...I can do much worse then the misspelling you pointed out.

When desperate..ignore content and criticize spelling :thumbs:

#40 Alive in Christ, Apr 26, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2013